Lets name the Top 200 SNES games

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Lets name the Top 200 SNES games

Post by Gamerforlife »

A fun little action game that never saw the light of day in the US. I'm feeling lazy, so here's a nice article from hardcorgaming 101

http://hardcoregaming101.net/firemen/firemen.htm

It doesn't take too long to read and covers the game quite well

Some gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3FuXBHQHs
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

1. Super Mario World
2. The Adventures of Batman and Robin
3. Killer Instinct
4. Wild Guns
5. Street Fighter II Turbo
6. Sparkster
7. Demon's Crest
8. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
9. Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator
10. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
11. Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
12. Animaniacs
13. Yu Yu Hakusho Final
14. Imperium
15. Star Fox
16. The Illusion of Gaia
17. Super Metroid
18. Megaman X
19. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
20. Chrono Trigger
21. Final Fight 3
22. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
23. Actraiser
24. Ranma ½ Chougi Ranbu Hen
25. Final Fantasy VI
26. Axelay
27. Ninja Warriors Again
28. Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
29. Firepower 2000
30. Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest
31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV Turtles in Time
32. Undercover Cops
33. U.N. Squadron
34. Battle Clash
35. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
36. Ghost Chaser Densei
37. Harvest Moon
38. X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
39. Joe & Mac Caveman Ninjas
40. Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man & Venom)
41. F-Zero
42. Terranigma
43. Donkey Kong Country
44. Hagane The Final Conflict
45. Super Castlevania IV
46. SunSet Riders
47. Kirby Super Star
48. Marvel Super-Heroes: War of the Gems
49. Contra III: The Alien Wars
50. Run Saber
51. Earthbound
52. Raiden
53. Soul Blazer
54. Metal Warriors
55. Secret of Mana
56. Death and Return of Superman
57. Rock N' Roll Racing
58. Final Fantasy IV
59. Final Fantasy V
60. Plok
61. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
62. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
63. Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
64. Super Mario Kart
65. E.V.O.: Search for Eden
66. Lost Vikings
67. Gradius III
68. R-Type III: The Third Lightning
69. Mega Man X 3
70. Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima
71. Battletoads/Double Dragon
72. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo
73. NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
74. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
75. Jaki Crush
76. Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety
77. Aladdin
78. Earthworm Jim
79. Super R-Type
80. Panel De Pon/Tetris Attack
81. Super Punch Out
82. Wolfestein 3-D
83. Ogre Battle
84. KABLOOEY!
85. Star Trek: The Next Generation: Future's Past
86. Pocky & Rocky 2
87. The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
88. Robotrek
89. Aero Fighters
90. Knights of the Round
91. Hook
92. Pilotwings
93. Hamelin no Violin Tamaki
94. Sim City
95. Super Mario All-Stars
96. Castlevania: Dracula X
97. King of Dragons
98. Secret of the Stars
99. Super Star Wars
100. Batman Returns
101. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
102. Super Famicom Wars
103. Mortal Kombat II
104. Emerald Dragon
105. Street Fighter Alpha 2
106. Super Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
107. Megaman VII
108. Breath of Fire II
109. Ghoul Patrol
110. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
111. Megaman X2
112. BlackThrone
113. Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
114. Pocky & Rocky
115. Umihara Kawase
116. ShadowRun
117. Kirby's Dream Course
118. Justice League: Task Force
119. Bubsy
120. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Fighting Edition
121. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
122. Captain Commando
123. Rockman & Forte
124. Arkanoid - Doh It Again
125. Lufia 2: Rise of Sinistrals
126. Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: The Movie
127. Bahamut Lagoon
128. Magic Sword
129. Kunio-kun no Dodgeball
130. Mortal Kombat 3
131. Super Tennis
132. Tetris & Dr. Mario
133. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
134. S.T.G Strike Gunner
135. Phalanx
136. Secret Of Evermore
137. Space Megaforce
138. Super Turrican
139. DoReMi Fantasy
140. Home Alone
141. Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl in Back
142. Liberty or Death
143. Darius Twin
144. Genghis Khan II - Clan of the Grey Wolf
145. Firemen
146. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
ImageImage
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Super Game Boy Player - It's not a game per se but it unlocks the large Game Boy library for use on your SNES. Endless hours of fun and entertainment and better than looking at the green screen. Yes, it's been surpassed by the GC GBA player (though some don't like the controller for GB games) and the GBA as well but if you own a SNES this is a must have.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

If you want to know what Mike Haggar was doing before he was busting heads as mayor of Metro City, here's your answer. This is a port of a fun wrestling arcade game by Capcom. It was called Muscle Bomber in Japan. It mixes wrestling with some fighter and beat'em up elements like special moves, a jump button and a health bar that doesn't refill the way it does in other wrestling games.

The japanese art may look familiar to some of you as it's done by Tetsuo Hara from Fist of the North Star

For purists, the SNES version features the 4-player Team Battle Royal mode missing from the Genesis version. You'll need the SNES 4-player adapter though. This game is a good reason to own one. The Genesis version has two exclusive playable characters and a death match mode. However, not having 4-player support in a wrestling game, particularly one that is a port of an arcade game seems like a crime
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

BurningDoom wrote:143. Darius Twin

I really can't agree with this. Darius Twin is an extremely mediocre shmup, perhaps the most mediocre shmup the SNES saw. My problems with the game are that your shots lack any satisfying power or the enemies are all over-armored. Shmups are suppose to make you feel like a total badass with the ability to blow nearly anything in your path up easily, and you just never get this from Darius Twin.

To add insult to injury, the level designs are boring, the enemy patterns are repetitive, and the music is again, nothing special. This is a game where you hold down Y and B the entire game and shoot over armored enemies with weak shots while going through repetitive landscapes while listening to bland music.

BurningDoom did you only mention it because it hadn't been mentioned yet? I am really curious why you feel it should be be among the TOP 200 SNES games and rather not on the bottom.

jmbarnes101 wrote:Super Game Boy

Hmm..I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but we aren't counting accessories in this list, are we? This is the top 200 SNES GAMES. The SuperGameBoy is very cool and I've always been fond of it, but it's not a game, it's an accessory that plays GameBoy games. If you were to count the SuperGameBoy you might as well also count the GameGenie, Action Replay or the Satellaview itself.

I don't mean to give you a hard time with this, but it would like like if we had a top 200 Genesis/Megadrive game and you suggested the Master System Base Converter, the Sega CD or the 32X amongst the top 200 games.

I know this is kinda a gray area, but I don't think the SGB belongs in a list of best games. What do you guys think?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:143. Darius Twin

I really can't agree with this. Darius Twin is an extremely mediocre shmup, perhaps the most mediocre shmup the SNES saw. My problems with the game are that your shots lack any satisfying power or the enemies are all over-armored. Shmups are suppose to make you feel like a total badass with the ability to blow nearly anything in your path up easily, and you just never get this from Darius Twin.

To add insult to injury, the level designs are boring, the enemy patterns are repetitive, and the music is again, nothing special. This is a game where you hold down Y and B the entire game and shoot over armored enemies with weak shots while going through repetitive landscapes while listening to bland music.

BurningDoom did you only mention it because it hadn't been mentioned yet? I am really curious why you feel it should be be among the TOP 200 SNES games and rather not on the bottom.

He's actually picked a few games that I don't think belong on this list, but this isn't a personal list. It's a community list. So I'm not going to tell anyone what should or shouldn't be on it. I think it'll make for interesting conversation though seeing him explain why Darius Twin belongs on here. I've never played it myself
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Tecmo Super NBA Basketball - (not sure what number we're on)

Superior to the Genesis version and also released a year earlier, so it included players like Michael Jordan (who would remove his likeness from all video games right after), Larry Bird (who was hurt) and Charles Barkley (who also would remove his likeness). I like to say it has the best NBA roster in video game history. Tecmo ruled EA until NBA Live '95 came along when it came to hoops and this one is a testament to that.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

another great basketball game for the snes is NBA give n' go:

plays close to the arcade version and has big sprites players that zooms in and out. with play by play commentary and 4 player fast paced action!
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

BurningDoom wrote:
Rurouni_Fencer wrote:100. Batman Returns

People always forget about this gem. Not only was it a solid Batman game, (Final Fight, replace Cody/Haggar with Batman,) but it is also a solid movie-game.

Gamerforlife wrote:I love throwing this game in the face of people who are like, "Batman games sucked until Batman Arkham Asylum came out", which in my mind translates to, "I don't know my gaming history at all"

What's funny is that Konami is such a big name. How do so many people not know about the great Batman games they did?

Batman (NES), Batman Returns (SNES), and Batman Arkham Asylum. What else Batman was good?

Batman (based on Burton's movie) on the Genesis was pretty good, though that was Sega. Also, Batman Returns on the NES from Konami was good. Mozgus used to talk about how much he loved the soundtrack when he was on the boards. Batman Return of the Joker for the NES from Sunsoft was good. The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the Genesis, while not feeling like a true Batman game on par with the SNES version, is still an excellent title. It's a run n gun though(kind of like Batman Return of the Joker on the NES), an odd choice for a super hero who abhores guns. Still, it's right up there with Contra Hard Corps in terms of quality Genesis run and guns. It pulled off lots of cool visual tricks and had a pretty badass, really dark, soundtrack that worked well with the Genesis' sound capabilities(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7Nl9rODLQ). It's not really a great Batman game, but it is a great run and gun game. I count it as a great Bat title though, just because his name is on it :lol:

Here's a mix of tracks in addition to the two awesome ones in that first youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mbxJRed38

Counting the SNES versions of Batman Returns and The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES, you've got a decent number of good Bat titles. So yeah, people who say there were no great Batman games before Rocksteady came along are ignorant
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It's amazing the variety on display here. Shooters, rpgs, sports games, fighters, beat'em ups, platformers, etc. If you want it, the SNES has got it. Most of it holds up well too. It's the 16-bit PS2

ImageImageImage

The Genesis version is a very different game than the SNES one I'm listing here. I can't vouche for the quality of the Genesis version, but I have played the SNES version, which is a very good Street Fighter II clone. Plus, you get to play as Shredder!

Here's some cool trivia. There's a turtle clone character that is a throwback to the clone in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES(not the arcade port). I'm borrowing these pics from hardcoregaming 101.

ImageImage

Also, there's a female character named Asaka who seems based on this girl from the third movie:

Credit again to HG101 for that pic, Another quality licensed game from Konami. They were always pretty good with Turtles titles. Everything in this game from graphics, to music, to gameplay is excellent. I had a lot of fun playing this one
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: