Re-defining the Defining Games of the SNES

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re-defining the Defining Games of the SNES

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Original piece from marurun and racket here (im sure others too, just going off the special thanks section) :

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo ... d-the-snes

Ten years later - has anything changed? What would you add? What would you swap out?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Re-defining the Defining Games of the SNES

Post by Jmustang1968 »

To me, this is about what games come to mind universally when one thinks on the SNES. These are the must have staples.

I would argue these games off the list, honorable mentions at best:

Super Punch Out - The original is iconic and this game is a great sequel, I just dont think it defines the SNES

Killer Instinct - A popular game for sure, but I dont think it has aged well and dont think it has the following it used to

Pilotwings - This one is borderline for me. But I dont think it is ever a game that immediately pops into mind when on thinks of the SNES

Uniracers - Not even sure why this one was on here. I would argue the majority aren't even aware of this game.

Games that should be added:

Street Fighter 2 - Definitely more iconic than Killer Instinct. Sure this was on other platforms, but this was the definitive console version at the time.

Secret of Mana - This is regarded as one of the best Action RPGs of all time.

Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - I think this has aged well and has a big following. Probably the best beat'em up on the SNES
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would argue that KI still belongs. It may not have aged well, but it was pretty huge in the day.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Pilotwings absolutely belongs, along with KI. Also disagree on Turtles in Time. Street Fighter definitely belongs, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

How many times have you guys heard "Metroidvania" in the last 10 years. You've probably lost count. Super Metroid is definitely one of the biggest highlights and stays.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Could be interesting if anyone has perspective on the defining games in Japan. We know about Dragon Quest, but what else could be there that we didn't get?

Also, there is a disturbing lack of Kirby on the main list. And I'd probably argue that despite its fervent following, Earthbound wasn't a defining game for the system. It didn't exactly sell well, y'all. And agreed on Uniracers. I remember it, of course, but it's more of a one-off title (that Pixar put the kibosh on).

I think you could absolutely make a case for both Contra III and Super Castlevania IV.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Kirby was a mainstay on the Gameboy and had a standout title on NES, but I don't think Kirby games were as high profile on SNES.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I dunno, I think Kirby Superstar / Fun Pak was a big deal.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The only argument I can think of against Super Star is that it was a late title.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I just don't recall much fuss around Super Star when it came out.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile