Lets name the Top 100 Wii games [OP POST UPDATED]

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Lets name the Top 100 Wii games [OP POST UPDATED]

Post by dsheinem »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Non-M2 related: Alien Crush Returns sounds amazing.

It is amazingly bad. I found it to be an insult to the series and one of the best examples of a shoddy "shovelware" cash-in title as you can find. I know you are a big video pinball guy like me, and I can't say enough about how disappointing this one was.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

dsheinem wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:Non-M2 related: Alien Crush Returns sounds amazing.

It is amazingly bad. I found it to be an insult to the series and one of the best examples of a shoddy "shovelware" cash-in title as you can find. I know you are a big video pinball guy like me, and I can't say enough about how disappointing this one was.

You saved me $10 so much appreciated my friend 8)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

ejamer wrote:Yay! The list is complete!

1. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
2. Arkanoid Plus!
3. Pokemon Rumble
4. Bit.Trip Series
5. Art Style Series
6. Cave Story
7. Jett Rocket
8. FAST - Racing League
9. Mega Man 10
10. MDK2
11. Excitebike: World Rally
12. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
13. Swords & Soldiers
14. LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
15. And Yet It Moves
16. Fluidity
17. World of Goo
18. Tomena Sanner
19. Motoheroz
20. Thruspace
21. Rage of the Gladiator
22. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As King
23. Art of Balance
24. Alien Crush Returns
25. Bomberman Blast

Anyway, some follow-ups of games that really deserve to be played (although some are probably too "niche" to appeal to everyone):
  • Mega Man 9 - Personally I liked this one better than 10, but opinions are obviously divided on that matter. Great game for any retro fan!
  • Magnetica Twist - Coop, competitive, high scores, some basic player stats and "relationships", challenge modes... there is a ton of gaming to be had here. Some people didn't like the controls, but my wife and I spent literally hours playing this game and were very happy with it.
  • Toki Tori - Sweet action/puzzle game that has seen release on many platforms. Looks great, plays well, and has some fiendishly tough levels to solve.
  • Driift Mania - Yes, there are two i's. Anyone who grew up playing (and loving) Iron Man Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road will instantly feel at home. One important caveat though: much like the old arcade game, this is infinitely more fun with a couple buddies by your side.
  • NyxQuest - Not my personal favorite but a game that makes good use of the pointer controls, offers some clever design, and has attractive art. This game reminds me of LostWinds in some ways, which is a good thing.
  • LostWinds - Speaking of which... The sequel was listed since it's "better", but the first LostWinds game was one of the earliest examples of quality software released on WiiWare. Here's hoping it gets re-released on other platforms.
  • Bubble Bobble Plus - This is a retro site, so surely I'm not the only fan of Bubble Bobble. Well, the name doesn't lie. Want to play the classic game? No problem. Want to play with up to 3 friends on all new levels? No problem. Sometimes relatively safe remakes are the best remakes.
  • Jungle Speed - I'm a board game fan, so I'm predisposed to like this game perhaps... but it's still a solid implementation that allows up to 8 people to game together in a light party session. The only question is whether you would rather play the actual card game instead. (Ubuntu and/or Penguin and Friends aka Hey! That's My Fish almost got mentioned because the actual games are fun, but the presentation and story modes are trash. Better to stick to the board games in both cases.)
  • Learning with the Pooyoos (episodes 1 through 3) - Sure, it's intended for very young kids. I just happen to have a young daughter who loves playing (or watching) these games with Daddy. Not sure if that makes it worth recommending or not... but in case there are other families out there it would be a shame not to mention.

I think that very very few people have much experience with WiiWare. I've probably download more than anyone else I know... and there are still many games that I'd like to try but haven't had the chance. At the top of my list of "want to play" games are:

• Military Madness
  • You, Me, and the Cubes
  • Dive: The Medes Islands Secret
  • Contra Rebirth

All are supposed to be decent... I'll probably never find out though, as I've pretty much moved on from WiiWare at this point.

So this is an incredibly thorough post and i'm thinking maybe we create an offshoot thread to really, definitively, point out the best games on WiiWare - preferably ones unique to the platform that haven't made appearances on other systems (so Mega Man 9/10 are out).
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Agreed -- either that or add to the original post.