Leaking batteries in carts

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
sbk
64-bit

Leaking batteries in carts

Post by sbk »

How do you deal with them? Do you replace them with the clip? Also how do you feel it affects value? In the long run I know I would rather have a good board with new batteries then one with a leaking battery of course. Just wondering how yall deal with it?
Ziggy

Re: Leaking batteries in carts

Post by Ziggy »

What do you mean leaking... like leaking acid? I've never seen a CR2032 battery do that before, including ones on motherboards from old computers I have (486). I think the temperatures will effect it to some degree, but they don't tend to leak like, say, a AA battery would.
sbk
64-bit

Post by sbk »

From what I've heard all batteries can leak.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I'm fairly sure I've had a CR2032 battery leak before in one of my Dreamcast's VMU. Could be wrong though, it was years ago and I never bother changing the batteries since they last like 10 minutes and barely have enough space to store mini-games.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

sbk wrote:From what I've heard all batteries can leak.

I'm not a battery expert, but there might be types of batteries that don't leak. All batteries aren't made up of the same stuff. Like I said, I've never seen nor heard of a CR2032 leaking before. This includes old computers I have (and have had) with 486 CPU's. It's just that this type of battery has a really low risk for leaking. If you store your carts under normal conditions, I don't think you should worry about leaking. I don't.

Reprise wrote:I'm fairly sure I've had a CR2032 battery leak before in one of my Dreamcast's VMU. Could be wrong though, it was years ago and I never bother changing the batteries since they last like 10 minutes and barely have enough space to store mini-games.

If you told me for sure that it did in fact leak, I would assume you left it in the sun or some similar effect.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Like I said, I've never seen nor heard of a CR2032 leaking before. This includes old computers I have (and have had) with 486 CPU's.

Same. My 286's CR2032 hasnt leaked and it has been stored in an attic for 20 years.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

CR2032s are based on solid state chemistry, there's no liquid electrolyte to leak. If you get it wet though, that's a different story.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
sbk
64-bit

Post by sbk »

Hatta wrote:CR2032s are based on solid state chemistry, there's no liquid electrolyte to leak. If you get it wet though, that's a different story.

So I should have no worries about my games? Sweet.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

sbk wrote:
Hatta wrote:CR2032s are based on solid state chemistry, there's no liquid electrolyte to leak. If you get it wet though, that's a different story.
So I should have no worries about my games? Sweet.

The disc flat batteries are Dry Cells, but so are most batteries you buy for electronics. Its just that all batteries will eventually fail and some will leak due how the electricity is produced. The Cathode to Anode corrosion process on the internal plates. I think "Watch Style" batteries do have a better overall seal though.

Okay found the post with the scary pic.
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158240

So I went to my local thrift and the other day and picked up some NES games, and I was delighted for find a copy of the original Legend of Zelda for the NES cheap. I figured what the heck and dropped it in my stack and took it home. Doing my normal post-purchase game check I'll open the cart and clean the PCB and contacts before testing. All my games were fine except this copy of Zelda, which was insane looking:

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:Image

That looks like it got wet to me. There's rust on the one cap leg as well on the diode right below the battery. The leg of the resistor in the far bottom left also looks whitened from wet corrosion.

I've posted it before, but here's a cart that got wet and the made a mess. still worked other than saving, even after a new battery and replacing the diode that the legs rusted completely away. Note the combination of rust and white similar to the Zelda cart.

http://hobie-wan.nfshost.com/Mario%20Kart.jpg