Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

Post by Ziggy »

I always wondered if the Medium and Hard difficulties did anything more than just start you with less money. Like if things like crime rate, pollution, etc are hard to control or not.

The game should have had faster speeds. Didn't the PC version just fucking FLY on it's fastest speed? The SNES version should have medium be it's slow speed, fast be it's medium speed, then a speed at least 2 times faster than it's fast speed.

I don't really consider it cheating, but some times I use Game Genie to make the time go faster. I'll usually only do it in scenarios, and that's only because I'm done with in a year or two then I have to sit and wait for the time to run out.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I just remembered that my highest game (~180k) was done on medium difficulty. I remember that my second power plant was coal fuelled because I was so low on cash. I also remember doing virtually nothing for three game years while I saved up for an airport.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Zing wrote:I just remembered that my highest game (~180k) was done on medium difficulty. I remember that my second power plant was coal fuelled because I was so low on cash. I also remember doing virtually nothing for three game years while I saved up for an airport.

Not a fan of the bank either, huh?
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I had taken, and already spent, a loan. It takes 20 years to get another one, though. :D
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The bank really sucks if you wanna use it for loans. The extra money helps to expand your city, so you can start making more money, but if you're not careful you'll end up being broke for 20 years.

The bank IS extremely useful to have though. Even though I have the money cheat, I make sure to get the bank first. It's a great gift to boost the land value around commercial zones.

And on that note, I've read a few guides that really give off bad info on gifts. Like one guide I just read said you DON'T wanna get the bank. That's so untrue. And often times, they wont have good info on where to place gifts.

I've been playing this game way too much the past week. I got the Tetris Effect last night, when I closed my eyes to go to sleep I saw Sim City LOL.

Dammit! One of my save files got corrupt! :( My population was around 450k. I was trying something new, hoping to get to 600k. Figures. Oh well. I finally beat all 6 scenarios. Didn't realize that after you beat all 6, you get the UFO scenario as well as the Freedom map. I've heard of the freedom map before, but didn't know how you got it.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Ziggy587 wrote:The bank really sucks if you wanna use it for loans. The extra money helps to expand your city, so you can start making more money, but if you're not careful you'll end up being broke for 20 years.

I'm not sure why you would not take the loan. You get $10 000 and you end up paying only $500 in interest! Even if you don't spend the loan in full, that is an insane deal. You only need to generate $500 in taxes over 20 years to make the loan cost you nothing. Could you imagine a real bank offering that rate? I'd borrow as much as possible!

In my most recent game, each year, even with the $500 loan cost, I would net about $3 000 in tax near the middle point of my game (~80k citizens). Near the end, I had lowered tax rates to boost demand, and more fire/police service was eating into my profits.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:Dammit! One of my save files got corrupt! :( My population was around 450k. I was trying something new, hoping to get to 600k. Figures. Oh well. I finally beat all 6 scenarios. Didn't realize that after you beat all 6, you get the UFO scenario as well as the Freedom map. I've heard of the freedom map before, but didn't know how you got it.

When I put my cart in to test the R/L and X thing, I noticed that my save file was gone. :(
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've had this happen with my first Sim City cart a lot. I eventually got another, newer one, that I never had problems with. Now I'm back to the older style cart. Here's the thing, the SRAM (used for saving game data) always needs power, either from the system when it's on or the battery when it's off. The older style carts used a different method to transfer the power between the battery and system. I'm guessing that older method is flawed in that it will some times corrupt save data. Damn, I need to get a newer style Sim City cart again. :lol:

I was in my City, looking at the crime map, and the game locked up. Some how that corrupted the save for that city. But my other city was intact, and the scenarios were still X'ed out.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

The solution is the same as with the NES. Hold reset while powering off the system.

All first run games have a slight chance of losing a save. The Actraiser manual explicitly instructs the user to hold reset while powering off. From what I understand, SNES carts soon had a small capacitor added to the board in an attempt to fix this.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Holding reset wouldn't have helped me though. The game froze, I hit reset, then my save was gone.