Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

Post by Ziggy »

Finally, I've reached 600,000!!!

Looks like I've topped off at 631k. And with that, I've completed all my goals for this game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Congrats, man! It's a good feeling.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Nice! My son and I have been playing the original PC version on both my old 286 and on DOSbox.
I'm hoping to load up the SNES on my SNES Classic so we can give it a go on there.
I heard Bowser is swapped in for Godzilla for one of the disasters. My son was pretty excited when I told him :)
Also curious how the gamepad controls work out. The PC ones aren't super great --- especially when playing on DOSbox -- just a bit awkward.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to diving into Sim City 2000 again someday. I used to play the these first two Sim City games a lot in my formative years. Never did really play the later ones (although hope to someday remedy that)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The SNES version of SimCity blows away the original version in every department in my opinion. It controls extremely well, especially for a game that you usually play with a mouse. Moving the cursor around with the D-Pad isn't awkward at all. And if you hold down the A button, the D-Pad scrolls the screen really fast. Pressing select will move the cursor to the items bar, pressing select again moves the cursor back to where ever it last was on the map. Pressing start does the same thing, only it moves the cursor to/from the menu bar.

I highly recommend downloading the manual and giving that a read. There's a lot of good information in there. It's basically the a strategy guide.

https://vimm.net/manual/?p=details&id=2098

(If you haven't ever downloaded from Vimm's Lair before, after you click the download button you might have to wait a good 30-60 seconds before the save window pops up.)

There's also a few pages dedicated to Bowser and the Tokyo scenario!

As for SimCity 2000, I've been playing the DOS version via DOSbox. But just FYI, play the Windows version if possible. It's just a tad better.
Last edited by Ziggy on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Nice. I saw the SNES version being sold for just £3.50 (cartridge only obviously) the other day and passed, but this thread convinced me to purchase it.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have three copies right now lol. I had two for a while, and I just got a third because it was in a lot that I bought from eBay. I liked having multiple copies because each cart can only save two cities at a time. Although, I always loose save data on SimCity carts so it hardly matters. I don't know if it's just me, but it happens all the time. SimCity and Super Mario All Stars, I'm always losing my save data! For SimCity these days, I backup the save data using a Retrode, but it's still very annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've noticed that if the game ever freezes while I have a city loaded, I'll loose that data for just that city. The other city save will still be there, and whichever scenarios that were completed still are. And then every once in a while I'll boot the cart up and all save data is gone!. And yes, I know you have hold L + R + Select while booting to erase save data. But this happens without holding the button combo down. And all this happens with every SimCity cart I ever owned, and I've owned at least 3 other copies than the 3 I currently own.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Forgive, but I have no idea why in all these years I never shared this, perhaps I just missed this as the thread goes back to 2011.

Anyway, check this out: http://www.pnaw10.com/peters-simcity-fo ... -guide#TOP
Though I have kept it bookmarked on this sub-page: http://www.pnaw10.com/peters-simcity-fo ... de/sec-041 Why? The elusive debug mode for the game discovered in the late 2000s after so long. The primary site has everything youd basically ever want to know and more in sections. The guide here I would think some (enough) should apply to the NES port outside of anything about 3x3 tile stuff since they're 2x2 on that one. The years of work and people chipping is is about as definitive as you can get into digging into the old game.

This has been around at least a decade or longer.

And with that, anyone buying it, don't discount the game even if it is just a few dollars/pounds/... the hours you'll get out of it over a short period or magnitudes more over the years make it less than pennies to whatever dollar.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

My son started giving it a try on my SNES Mini. Some pretty cool niceties vs the original PC.
Dr Wright is a nice touch.
The controller is pretty nice control -- especially for beginners/kids
There's even seasons and stuff?!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

There are some good hidden layers, even a few 2000 nods like some land fill choices to put a few more 3x3 spaces up from the seas to build upon.

I was wondering why I had posted and this thread went dead like people got bored or my post was toxic. :\ I thought that site I shared would be super useful, maybe show yourself the link and see if it would help your kid or you have more fun with it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:There are some good hidden layers, even a few 2000 nods like some land fill choices to put a few more 3x3 spaces up from the seas to build upon.

I was wondering why I had posted and this thread went dead like people got bored or my post was toxic. :\ I thought that site I shared would be super useful, maybe show yourself the link and see if it would help your kid or you have more fun with it.

Maybe everyone just got too involved in playing and forgot to come back :)
I looked briefly at the site, but got distracted -- but it did look like a great resource. I love that sites like that still exist. Feels like mid/late 90s web -- little fan site/shine to a dedicated topic. (I used to run a Calvin and Hobbes fan site in that era :D ))