Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

Post by Ziggy »

Sim City (PC) source code has been released. So maybe one day some one will make a SNES replica of it for us. I don't see any one making a perfect clone of the SNES version though (insertion of things like Dr Wright, city classes, and presents might be hard to do?) but wouldn't that be awesome? Of course, I would also love the real SNES version more, but a hack like that would be really fun to play. So yeah, I'd rather have a hacker fix that damn loading bug.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:Sim City (PC) source code has been released. So maybe one day some one will make a SNES replica of it for us. I don't see any one making a perfect clone of the SNES version though (insertion of things like Dr Wright, city classes, and presents might be hard to do?) but wouldn't that be awesome? Of course, I would also love the real SNES version more, but a hack like that would be really fun to play. So yeah, I'd rather have a hacker fix that damn loading bug.

The loading bug doesn't really bother me that much, because they come back, and I usually play, when I do play, for long periods of time (time waster!), but so many things could be done with that to make it better (without going into the detail of SimCity 2000).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I know it eventually gets back to normal, but you'd have to load your city then wait a year or two to get back to the point that you saved at. I'm just mad that people have posted a work around, that they claim works, but doesn't work for me. :lol:

Also, does any one know if there was a revision? I've owned a few different Sim City carts through out the years. Currently, I have an older style one (with the lock design instead of the slide design). I noticed a few things. Like load bug work around not working. Holding L and/or R doesn't pause gameplay (like many have said it does), and when I have an entire map filled the time slows down a LOT. When I had a copy of Sim City in the newer style cart, I never had the time slow down when the map gets full. :?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:I know it eventually gets back to normal, but you'd have to load your city then wait a year or two to get back to the point that you saved at. I'm just mad that people have posted a work around, that they claim works, but doesn't work for me. :lol:

Also, does any one know if there was a revision? I've owned a few different Sim City carts through out the years. Currently, I have an older style one (with the lock design instead of the slide design). I noticed a few things. Like load bug work around not working. Holding L and/or R doesn't pause gameplay (like many have said it does), and when I have an entire map filled the time slows down a LOT. When I had a copy of Sim City in the newer style cart, I never had the time slow down when the map gets full. :?

There must have been a revision, because L/R does stop time for me. Ever got the $999,999 trick to work for you?
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I've had SimCity for both SNES and PC; I like the PC version better. SNES limits you to 3 cities per cart, on PC the number is unlimited. Controls are better on PC as well, of course. And Dr. Wright annoyed me, he only ever told me stuff I already knew.

It's all moot, though, because SimCity 2000 blows the original out of the water in all categories.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:There must have been a revision, because L/R does stop time for me. Ever got the $999,999 trick to work for you?

Yeah, that's the weird thing, the money trick WORKS.

I use to own a later Sim City cart (wasn't a power seller one, but had the slope design). But I don't remember if L and R paused gameplay. I can say for sure though, having a full city didn't slow down time. I'm not sure what that's all about. I don't remember that happening back in the day the last time I had an original style Sim City cart.

BoringSupreez wrote:SNES limits you to 3 cities per cart

There's actual only 2 saves for cities.

BoringSupreez wrote:It's all moot, though, because SimCity 2000 blows the original out of the water in all categories.

And Sim City 4 blows all the other Sim Cities combined away.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Where's the best starting point to get back into the series? lol, I've been curious for awhile. The funny thing is in RTS's like Starcraft, Total Annihilation, etc, half the fun to me is simply building the bases and making cool layouts. So I've always kind of figured maybe I'd really dig simulators/civilization games and the likes perhaps...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Each main entry really improved upon the previous game. So if you play the most current, going back and trying out Sim City 2000 for the first time might seem boring. If you wanna experience them all, play them in the order they came out. If you don't care about that, then just skip to Sim City 4 Deluxe (the Deluxe edition includes the Rush Hour expansion pack). Sim City 4 is truly an amazing game. So if you enjoy the creation aspect of games, you will almost certainly enjoy this game.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

There was never a ROM revision for this game. There was a "player's choice" release, but the change was only made to the box/label/etc, not the game's ROM itself.

The power/crime bug is annoying. It basically means that you want to play through the game in one sitting. I also never understood why there were so many game speeds. I am not a person who needs everything to go fast, but damn, anything but the fastest speed or stop seems pointless. The game doesn't even go that fast on fastest, and there is a lot of time sitting around waiting for time to pass.

I have never done any money cheats. I was disappointed to find that virtually every FAQ or hint guide out there about this game recommends, and is based on using, the money cheats. I just wanted to know basic things like what buildings require road access and such. I finally decided that all gifts do not need road access. I am almost to the point where I think only the RCI zones need road access.

Most guides are also based around the map 61 "cheat". Yes, it is not technically a cheat, but it is the least challenging map.

I also struggled to find a way to make roads viable. It just doesn't seem to work, no matter how slowly I expand. I always end up tearing them up and building rails, which ends up costing more in the end. I did have mild success with using rails on the main branches and roads along some edges.

The highest population I have hit so far is just over 180k on either map #1 or #2, I cannot recall. I had been playing for hours at that point, and I was literally just sitting there watching time pass.

It is a fun game, and yes, I agree that, aside from the save game loading bug, it is superior to the PC version.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy, try holding down either the L or R button for a while and see if the months pass.

Zing wrote:I am not a person who needs everything to go fast, but damn, anything but the fastest speed or stop seems pointless. The game doesn't even go that fast on fastest, and there is a lot of time sitting around waiting for time to pass.

This. The fastest speed should be the default, slow speed, and then there should be two faster speeds!

I also struggled to find a way to make roads viable. It just doesn't seem to work, no matter how slowly I expand. I always end up tearing them up and building rails, which ends up costing more in the end. I did have mild success with using rails on the main branches and roads along some edges.

I always only use railroads. Kills money very quickly, so maybe that's why I spend so much time on this game - just waiting to get some $$$ in order to spend it.