Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

Post by Ziggy »

Hopefully I'm not alone here, but I love Sim City for SNES. I think it's much superior to the original version. The colors used are more vivid, the music is awesome, and Dr. Wright is unforgettable. The addition of things like gifts and city classification also makes it more fun to play.

I played this game a LOT as a kid, and I must have sucked at it because I was barely able to reach becoming a Metropolis. I played it here and there over the years, but when I got it for VC, I finally achieved a Megalopolis. I've been playing it again the past few days on my SNES, and I was able to achieve a Megalopolis again.

One thing that pisses me off though is the major bug this game has when loading a city. For those that don't know, when you load a city, after a few seconds the entire city loses power and it takes a while to regain it. On top of that, the crime rate explodes, almost as if you have no police stations at all, and it takes a while to get back to normal. This causes your population to severely drop. Example: My city has a population of about 512k. When I load the city, it will drop to about 504k. I then have to wait a while for the city to get back to where it was when I saved.

Does any one know of a work around for this? I wish the game was a little more popular, maybe a hacker would be able to create a patch to fix this bug. I read about work a work around, but it doesn't work for me. I read that if you load you city and immediately put the speed on stopped, wait a minute or so, then resume speed it will circumvent the bug. But I tried this and it was a no-go. I tried doing a few things when loading a city, but I can't find a way around the bug. Any one have any clues? I have an earlier cart, perhaps there's another later version of the game where the work around works?

I know if you play it on VC you can just utilize the save states to get around having to load the city, which also would work on emulators, but I want to play it on an actual SNES.
Last edited by Ziggy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: Sim City (SNES) - Any Fans? + Bug Questions

Post by Hazerd »

consider yourself lucky you can get to 500k lol, ive never managed over 400k.

i just fail :x
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It took a lot of effort and thinking out. To do it with out cheating, anyways. I wanna try and get to 600,000 next. But I don't wanna do any of that crazy zone stacking.

Another thing that doesn't work for me, I read people say you can hold L and/or R to pause gameplay but still be able to build and whatnot. Holding L and/or R does not pause gameplay for me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I loved this game as a kid myself, haven't played it in many many years though.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Why not play the original PC version? I'm curious.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

General_Norris wrote:Why not play the original PC version? I'm curious.

Ziggy587 wrote:I love Sim City for SNES. I think it's much superior to the original version. The colors used are more vivid, the music is awesome, and Dr. Wright is unforgettable. The addition of things like gifts and city classification also makes it more fun to play.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Ziggy587 wrote:
General_Norris wrote:Why not play the original PC version? I'm curious.

Ziggy587 wrote:I love Sim City for SNES. I think it's much superior to the original version. The colors used are more vivid, the music is awesome, and Dr. Wright is unforgettable. The addition of things like gifts and city classification also makes it more fun to play.

Herp Derp, reading comprenhesion :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. :D
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:Hopefully I'm not alone here, but I love Sim City for SNES.

I first played SimCity in like 1999, a few short weeks before playing SimCity 2000 on the PS1. :lol: My heart still belongs to SimCity, though. I could and sometimes still can waste hours on that game. It's not the best, and I usually don't like sim games, but everything about this game reeks of charm, and it has me hooked.

That being said, I was never very good. I never got to Megalopolis either. It might have been the maps I picked or my peculiar layouts (I still go for aesthetics over "game rules"), but I don't think I ever reached 400k. I think 300k is a good city for me. :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Map 61 has the least amount of water.