Tri-Star / Super-8 SNES addon-region free!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
bacteria
Next-Gen

Tri-Star / Super-8 SNES addon-region free!

Post by bacteria »

Bought this from car boot sale today, for £5. Seems to be a very rare item! Can't see Google Images pics on it and on YouTube can only see "Super-8" which appears to be the NTSC version. I've got the PAL version!

back

From what i've quickly found out, it is capable of playing PAL SNES games, NTSC games and also NES games too from that unit.

The unit plugs into the video port on the SNES and uses the multiport video cable to connect from itself to your television.

This looks like a big brother of the RetroDuo, but if works fine (not tested it yet) will play ALL games not 60% and no slowdowns expected as using original hardware.

Needless to say, i'll be opening this unit up and using it for the Alpha Omega project; it will be interesting to see if it runs Mario Seven Stars RPG.

Looks like for only £5 i've got a pretty rare item. This was at my 2nd car boot sale for the day, she'd already sold her SNES, the buyer obviously didn't realise the value and purpose of this Tri-Star or i'm sure they'd have bought it too!

Looked on ebay, the only reference to Tri-Star i've found are the version for the N64 that plays N64, SNES and NES games on the N64; and those go for about $150, and also rare, not seen SNES one at all. Woot!

Gonna open it up in due course and see what's inside and if it's anything simple to do the conversion or if it uses chips, etc (bound to i'd expect, but you never know).

Anyone know much about these units and can share details/links etc?

Update - tried it, doesn't work, will need to clean the contacts and try again in due course.
I am the Bacman
Ziggy

Re: Tri-Star / Super-8 SNES addon-region free!

Post by Ziggy »

I bought one on eBay a while back, brand new. There's a seller on eBay that has a few of these for $50 each plus shipping. I recently sold it to another forum member. Back when I bought it, I created a thread about it and there's probably some good info in there.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21177

I thought it was really nifty, but I had no use for it and that's why I ended up selling it. I originally bought it so I could play Famicom carts, but then I ended up getting an actual Famicom for cheap soon after, so I just didn't know what to do with it.

It'd probably be great for a PAL user that doesn't own an NTSC SNES, you could use it as an adapter to fit the larger size carts in the PAL SNES. Though I'm not sure how the lockout chips works with it. I know I was able to boot a Famicom cart (no lockout chip) on my stock SNES with out anything else, so it must have some kind of lockout defeat going on. I opened it up once, it was VERY simple inside. As I recall, just a single EPROM. I don't even recall any other IC on the board.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

So if the Tri-Star uses a clone NOAC chip, does that mean that in effect you're running the games with no benefit over a RetroDuo would have, even though it's running on original SNES console hardware the Tri-Star is connected into? I'm a bit confused, I kinda guessed that the gadget converted signals from one format to another to be interpreted by the SNES hardware, so a bit like a decent region free unit using proper hardware. Can this be elaborated on please as to what you actually get benefit wise with a PAL SNES unit and Tri-Star?

I haven't got my unit to work, might be needing a clean or something, or may be dead (hopes not); probably just needs some basic modding to get working again.

Comments welcome on the Tri-Star!
I am the Bacman
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

IIRC it was Ziggy's Super 8 that I bought. Not having a PAL system, I can only verify it its into a North American SNES or Japanese Super Famicom and also has mid 90s NOAC quality NES and Famicom emulation with severe vertical line issues.

The emulation on the TriStar is about equilent to any of the early NOACs. There are many games it won't play, and others that will play with major glitches. Also the sound is off-pitch as per usual.

Later 1994 onward games often think the TriStar is some sort of copying device and will refuse to boot. These games include the Donkey Kong trilogy games and Killer Instinct. It also refuses to work with Super Famicom data cartridges.

If you can get yours working, I'd love to hear if youc an get the Super GameBoy to work correctly.

It's really really wierd - the Super GameBoy DOES work, but GameBoy games play at roughly 5 or so frames per second. It's like if you were to underclock a GameBoy to be about a quarter normal speed.

Anything else you'd like to know about it just ask!
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. I have around 80 or so PAL SNES games and half a dozen NTSC ones, so it will be interesting to see how the Tri-Star plays them and which ones it doesn't play; i'll post the details here when I get around to fixing the unit.
I am the Bacman
FFantasy6

Post by FFantasy6 »

Too bad this adapter doesn't play NES games at 60hz if you have the SNES modded.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

eh? well maybe the PAL version doesnt, but the NTSC version does play games at 60 Hz
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

The device is a pass though only, so all games should work unless they have software that gives off a warning about piracy.
akmodan

Post by akmodan »

I modded my one and now Its play Nintendo and Famicom NTSC games at 60hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEQ0AV ... e=youtu.be