Does Castlevania run slower in a PAL NES?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Does Castlevania run slower in a PAL NES?

Post by Erik_Twice »

Because there are many games that do that, and I'm considering modding my console and importing the games.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Re: Does Castlevania run slower in a PAL NES?

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

US Castlevania? Yes, it will run 17% slower on a PAL NES.

The PAL Castlevania should play at the corrected speed on a PAL system though.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Because there are many games that do that, and I'm considering modding my console and importing the games.

Are you saying you are using PAL hardware, because regardless of which region you play, if its on PAL hardware it will be at 50hz (17% slower). The hardware is what determines the freq not the software.

Also it is rare for PAL Nes carts to be optimized for play on a 50hz machine, some later games (Super Mario 3, Metroid, etc) have patched the music so it plays at the correct speed (Though the tempo is off).

There are no PAL carts I am aware that have been properly optimized other than Top Gun 2. Kirby tried, but it ended up being Kirby moved at the correct speed but the enemies still moved slow, just a mess.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Sorry, I think I was confusing. Basically, game companies were very lazy and did not modify their games when they released them in Europe.

For example, Megaman, the PAL version on a PAL console, runs slower than the US version in an US console. Probotector (PAL Contra) is also slowed down and it sucks. However Super Mario Bros runs fine, with only a difference in music

I just checked and Castlevania PAL is also slowed down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U&feature=related
Ugly! =/

Is this fixed if I run my console at 60Hz instead of 50Hz? I think it's a simple hack and probably worth it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Is this fixed if I run my console at 60Hz instead of 50Hz? I think it's a simple hack and probably worth it.

This was my point, there is no mod to get the PPU to output at a different Freq, the chip itself is different (later consoles had the same chip with different voltage to tell it which mode to run at).

So PAL consoles run at 50HZ, NTSC consoles run at 60HZ, out side of putting a NTSC PPU in your console and doing some hardcore modding, there is nothing you can do.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

I believe that some games have to be booted in 50hz. In the US we always add a 50/60hz switch to the consoles, if we plan to import from Europe. We boot the games in 50hz mode then switch to 60hz mode afterwards. If we don't do so the game will display a message saying this game is not compatible with your Super Nintendo or Super Famicom.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Jamisonia wrote:I believe that some games have to be booted in 50hz. In the US we always add a 50/60hz switch to the consoles, if we plan to import from Europe. We boot the games in 50hz mode then switch to 60hz mode afterwards. If we don't do so the game will display a message saying this game is not compatible with your Super Nintendo or Super Famicom.

Again.

The NES's video chip is different depending on which region you are in, as such you can not fit a 50/60hz switch to a NES.