Sega should do a 'Dream Classics' DC Collection for Wii

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
eastside
24-bit

Sega should do a 'Dream Classics' DC Collection for Wii

Post by eastside »

Came across this article:

http://www.infendo.com/all/dc-on-vc-can ... rk-on-wii/

DC games are never going to be on the VC because of size restrictions and Nintendo recently vetoed hd suggestions. Enjoying playing RE Wii, which looks to be a commercial succes for Capcom, it's not hard to envision several DC classics that could work in a Wiimake (see this article: http://the-dreamcast-junkyard.blogspot. ... n-wii.html)

My proposal would be for Sega to release some of their DC titles as part of a 'Dream Classics' or 'Dream Collection' for Wii. I think it would work, mirroring the SEGA AGES series on PS2. The games would be budget release with Wii controls. Porting cost would be minimal so with a minimal marketing budget Sega could re-release these DC Wiimakes and make a decent profit on not that big of sales.

Yeah, I've already played all these DC games, but I think they deserve to be given a second chance on Wii and introduce them to gaming audiences today that weren't gaming during DC or overlooked it. Besides, some of these DC games, like Samba, really lend themselves to Wii. With Sega giving Nintendo more support than ever, I think it would be a good idea.

In summary--easy ports, cheap cost, budget price and fun for gamers!
Last edited by eastside on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

Excellent idea, considering the GD-ROMs for the Dreamcast were only a gig, you could easily fit 6-7 games on a DVD with room left over for menus, galleries, and extra stuff like a secret download for your PC that can be downloaded to a memory card for Dreamcast. I don't know. I'd be happy just to play a DC game on Wii.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
kinn
64-bit

Post by kinn »

Would love to see this happening but you never know Sega. They have not been the same since the merger with Sammy.

Fingers crossed anyway!
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

I honestly think this would work, but only if they bundled together like at least 5 games per disc. I wouldn't really care about wii controls, considering the games would be pretty well suited to GCN controller or Classic controller. Tbh, all I would want would be special Wii controller versions of Samba Da Amigo (or w/e it's called) and the fishing game, considering those ones would work quite well with the wiimote. Of course, it'd still be a good idea to put them in, as there could be a few interesting controller congfigurations, like, say for Crazy Taxi. But 5 DC games for say $20-30, hell even 40 bones? Sounds like a good deal to me. :)
eastside
24-bit

Post by eastside »

Those are great suggestions.

Some body at Sega forums offered this suggestion for a compilation series approach:

Dream Classics Volume 1:

Disc 1: Sonic Team Hits

1. Sonic Adventure
2. Chu Chu Rocket
3. Samba De Amigo (with wiimote controls!)
4. Puyo Pop Fever

Disc 2: Dreamcast Hits

1. Rez
2. Jet Grind Radio (with Wiimote spraying!)
3. Floigan Bros.
4. Virtua Fighter 3 TB

Disc 3: Sega Sports Goodness

1. NFL 2k2
2. Tennis 2k2
3. Sega Bass Fishing 2
4. NHL 2k2

Disc 4: Skies of Arcadia

Complete Skies of Arcadia game.

Dream Classics Volume 2:

Disc 1: Great Adventures

1. Sonic Adventure 2
2. Headhunter
3. Ecco the Dolphin (with improved frame rate, draw distance)
4. Space Channel 5

Disc 2: Arcade Classics

1. House of the Dead 2
2. Confidential Mission
3. Daytona USA
4. Virtual On: Ontario Tanagram (use the Wiimote and nunchuck as twin sticks!)

Disc 3: Imports from Japan (games brought over from Japan, with translated text)

1. Rent a Hero No 1
2. Segagaga
3. Sakura Taisen 4
4. Dreamstudio

Disc 4: Shenmue

1. Complete Shenmue game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

These games are all too recent to be released with that many games per disc at that price. We may think it's a great idea, but nobody in the industry would think so. I'd say that if Sega were to do this they would release 2 titles per disc at $25-$30 per disc, and I dare say they'd sell decently well. Crazy Taxi collection? Sonic Adventure collection?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

samba de amigo, rez, headhunter, house of the dead 2 and virtual on would all be AWESOME with the wiimote. hell i'd just settle for a wii-ified rez as a standalone release. i'd drop 30 bucks for that.

i doubt they'd do skies of arcadia again since it was out on gamecube, which is playable on the wii. actually they probably won't do ANY of these but it's nice to dream, isn't it?

hopefully nights is okay.
eastside
24-bit

Post by eastside »

These games are all too recent to be released with that many games per disc at that price. We may think it's a great idea, but nobody in the industry would think so. I'd say that if Sega were to do this they would release 2 titles per disc at $25-$30 per disc, and I dare say they'd sell decently well. Crazy Taxi collection? Sonic Adventure collection?

I concur. There are a lot of different ways the marketers at Sega could approach it but that's a good thing.

hopefully nights is okay.

That will be key. If NiGHTS is a big hit on Wii then I say the flood gates will be opened for anything and everything from Sega. NiGHTS needs to have a DS game, btw.
Ender
8-bit

Post by Ender »

Hmm
I like the idea but some of them already were re-released.

Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia are available on Cube (so on Wii as the machine is backwards compatible)

Not that familiar with Sonic but I think they already re-released some on Sonic Gems Collection?

I may be wrong tho.

:P
Owner of: White Saturn, Black Saturn, Regulation 7 Dreamcast, White Dremcast, Purple GameCube, Resident Evil 4 GameCube, Super Nintendo, Wii, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PSP, Black XBOX, Crystal XBOX, XBOX 360, GameBoy.

Looking Forward: NEO GEO AES, NEO GEO CD, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Megadrive, GameGear.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

I think it would be smarter not to focus on games such as Sonic Adventure, as it and it's sequel has been released on GCN and I doubt it's that hard to find, and go for either games that did make it to the cube, but are rare, or DC only games.