Nintendo 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:I totally forgot about that Aliens game. Isn't it a Metroidvania?

It is basically a mix of Metroid games and Aliens movies, though not as good as either one of those. However, this game was far and away the best Aliens game I've ever played. I enjoyed the experience over all. If you like Metroid and Blackthorne you will enjoy this game. However the overall package wasn't polished enough and it felt rushed towards the end (especially the 1 second long ending). Aliens: Infestation is typical "good but not great" WayForward stuff.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:I totally forgot about that Aliens game. Isn't it a Metroidvania?

Yes, it's a Metroidvania that uses an interesting system of you being part of a squad to handle deaths. At any one time you can have up to four people in your squad, and when you die the next squadmate will go forth to pick up where you left off. You can find other marines hidden who will join your squad if it's less than four.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Any thoughts on Super Princess Peach?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Any thoughts on Super Princess Peach?

Peach sets off to rescue Mario for once. Unfortunately the developers (TOSE) decided Peach would use her feminine emotions to get her way in the game. You can make her cry, laugh, get angry, etc. and these emotions act as special abilities (I'm not making this up). She's upset that Bowser has stole her "vibe wand" (no really). So Peach fills up her hormonal meter by collecting diamonds (they are a girl's best friend right?). Because this was a platformer aimed at girls, TOSE decided to make the game ridiculously easy ('cause girls suck at games right?). Also Peach has a magic umbrella which she uses to beat up enemies and float around like Mary Poppins. If you're wondering, yes, this game is sexist as shit. While the graphics and audio are nice, there's one real stinker of a design decision. In order to fight the last boss, you have to find every single hidden Toad in every single level of the game. A waste of time contrivance designed to artificially extend the length of the game. That was the last straw for me personally, and I quit playing rather than waste my life further.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

... Sounds like it was forgotten about for a reason.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:

Don't let grumpy old man Exhuminator put you off :wink: . I loved Super Princess Peach. Yes, some of the design decisions are questionable as far as representation goes, but I found the gameplay to be breezy and fun. If you've ever played any of the portable Kirby games or Starfy games, then this is like those - easy but enjoyable.

Yes, you need to get all the toads to fight the final boss. Gathering the ones I'd missed on my normal pl;aythrough took me maybe 30 minutes. It's hardly a Rayman situation.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

alienjesus wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Don't let grumpy old man Exhuminator put you off :wink: . I loved Super Princess Peach. Yes, some of the design decisions are questionable as far as representation goes, but I found the gameplay to be breezy and fun. If you've ever played any of the portable Kirby games or Starfy games, then this is like those - easy but enjoyable.

Yes, you need to get all the toads to fight the final boss. Gathering the ones I'd missed on my normal pl;aythrough took me maybe 30 minutes. It's hardly a Rayman situation.

My biggest complaint with SPP is that it was too easy. It's very much a companion piece to Starfy on DS in that way. A seasoned platforming veteran won't find much challenge out of that game, and your experience will likely suffer for it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:Don't let grumpy old man Exhuminator put you off

:lol: Well Xeogred should play Super Princess Peach, and give us his own opinion.

For the sake of conversation, more grumpy old man opinions...
DS platformers I loved:
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia*
Kirby: Canvas Curse*
Mega Man ZX Advent*
Mega Man Zero Collection*
Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition Kanzenban*

DS platformers I liked:
Aliens: Infestation*
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow*
Mega Man ZX*
Monster Tale*
New Super Mario Bros.*
Simple DS Series Vol. 18: The Soukou Kihei Gun Ground*
Simple DS Series Vol. 31: The Chou-Dangan!! Custom Sensha*
Sonic Colors*

DS platformers I think are decent but overrated:
Barnyard Blast Swine of the Night
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin*
Contra 4*
Giana Sisters DS
Super Princess Peach
The Legendary Starfy

DS platformers I hate:
Yoshi's Island DS*

DS platformers I still mean to try but haven't yet:
Kirby: Mass Attack
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Legend of Kage 2
New Zealand Story Revolution
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Steal Princess (isometric puzzle/platforming)
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (metroidvania)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (metroidvania)
Wario: Master of Disguise

* = I beat this game.

On a more thread-related note, my copy of this showed up today:

Amazon's description:
About the product

Addictive Fantasy Gameplay: Jump into a match and lose yourself as you navigate the board and summon monsters on your way to victory in this fast-paced, card-collecting fantasy.
Near Endless Strategy: Collect over 400 unique cards and develop your skills as you test your deck on new boards with new conditions, or return to favorites to hone your strategies.
Play Solo or Online: Discover the story of Culdcept with an engaging Story Mode, or practice with your decks in Free Play Mode.
Customize Your Experience: Make your gaming personal by developing a deck to fit your gameplay style, and choose the perfect avatar and deck book to represent your playstyle and personality.

Has anyone else bought Culdcept Revolt? Or plan to?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sonic Colors is on the DS? Is it different than the Wii version?

Let me be honest, Metroid is my favorite franchise next to Zelda... but I don't see Samus Returns defeating Order of Ecclesia. It was everything about the Metroidvania CV branch completely perfected.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Sonic Colors on the DS is essentially Sonic Rush 3.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.