Maybe I am missing that part of the article:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/24/ ... more-55460
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo 3DS

by Ivo Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:42 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Maybe I am missing that part of the article:

My major qualm about that article is that he complains about the horizontal clamshell design.

That is, IMO, the best possible design for a handheld. I don't want to be worrying about screens all the time - so clamshell is not just a nice feature, it is a huge plus. Given that the think has 2 screens I don't even know how it could be done well in a different manner.

I also love that most (all?) DS games auto-suspend just by closing the lid. That is another great feature for me.

The horizontal "wide" clamshell of the type DS is better than the vertical "narrow" one of the GBA SP because it goes better with the screen and is more comfortable.

Anyone else here care to comment on clamshell versus other designs for handhelds?

Ivo.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 pm

I just wish the clamshell could do something about the triggers. I worry about them when I put it in my pocket sometimes.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Ivo wrote:

My major qualm about that article is that he complains about the horizontal clamshell design.

That is, IMO, the best possible design for a handheld. I don't want to be worrying about screens all the time - so clamshell is not just a nice feature, it is a huge plus. Given that the think has 2 screens I don't even know how it could be done well in a different manner.

I also love that most (all?) DS games auto-suspend just by closing the lid. That is another great feature for me.

The horizontal "wide" clamshell of the type DS is better than the vertical "narrow" one of the GBA SP because it goes better with the screen and is more comfortable.

Anyone else here care to comment on clamshell versus other designs for handhelds?

Ivo.

The clamshell on the 3DS is the best design I can imagine. I also think the system looks kinda sexy, so screw that guys opinion :P

The issues I've had with the design so far are that the shoulder buttons feel a little small and a little too far back, I dont like leaving my finger above them so much. Apart from that, the stylus placement is awkward, but thats maybe because i'm so used to the DSi stylus being in the side.

I like the feature where you can leave one piece of software to access notes. When they add internet support it'll be pretty awesome to have a guide at the ready to switch to if you need help, without having to quit the game.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:27 pm

alienjesus wrote:I like the feature where you can leave one piece of software to access notes. When they add internet support it'll be pretty awesome to have a guide at the ready to switch to if you need help, without having to quit the game.

I liked that they added that into steam
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I just wish the clamshell could do something about the triggers. I worry about them when I put it in my pocket sometimes.

Yeah, triggers are a vulnerable spot and I think some dirt infiltrates through them and may make them stop working.
However through being a clamshell it is still better I think - I use a thin protecting "sleeve" for my DS without worries for the screen*. That helps a bit as it completely protects one of the triggers and leaves the other one partially covered, without taking much more extra space.

I don't know, maybe they can perfect the clamshell to somehow have the lid cover the triggers when closed but have them comfortably accessible when opened up. That should be possible, while you open up the clam, 2 "reverse" clams also open up in the trigger spaces? It's not particularly advanced engineering.

* Whereas I use a hard shell case with a zipper for my PSP, which is a large volume. And I still worry about putting it inside in a way that won't put the screen in contact with anything that may scratch it!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:00 pm

"And the system still requires you to buy game cartridges -- though you can download and trade additional content via WiFi -- which seems odd given the overall rapid shift in tech towards digital distribution."

Tell me you can legally download Halo to your 360 and I'll shut up. But until then, are you fucking stupid, dude?
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Inazuma
Next-Gen

by Inazuma Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm

XxBroBuzzxX wrote:http://www.damnlag.com/cnn-3ds-doesnt-look-as-good-as-a-ps3/

That was just, fail. :?

Wow. That was a really bad review. That guy obviously knows very little on the subject of video games.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:34 pm

YoshiEgg25 wrote:Tell me you can legally download Halo to your 360 and I'll shut up. But until then, are you fucking stupid, dude?

Isnt the first Halo on XBLA?
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:
YoshiEgg25 wrote:Tell me you can legally download Halo to your 360 and I'll shut up. But until then, are you fucking stupid, dude?

Isnt the first Halo on XBLA?

I meant current-gen games. I bet you can get the original Halo on XBLA, but as long as everything's being released on disc when it's new, his point is moot.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Return to Nintendo