Nintendo 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Wanted to point out here, the "Nintendo is discontinuing the 3DS" news is actually just the regular non-XL versions. This didn't make sense to me without that clarifier since they just released the 2DS XL and clearly they aren't done with the line yet.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Wanted to point out here, the "Nintendo is discontinuing the 3DS" news is actually just the regular non-XL versions. This didn't make sense to me without that clarifier since they just released the 2DS XL and clearly they aren't done with the line yet.

Hell, they discontinued it AAAGES ago in the US because it just wasn't selling. I guess the finally pulled the plug on the rest of the world's supply. Thanks for clarifying that headline :)

Reminds me of how I saw they announced they were discontinuing the NEW 3DS XL in Japan a week or so ago. I guess the normal NEW 3DS and 2DS are just doing too well there, or at least it's not doing well enough they didn't want it to compete with the NEW 2DS XL. I mean they more or less didn't even release a North American version of the normal NEW 3DS, so they've always been quite judicious on where they allocate those 3DS resources.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Actually, it's the smaller one that's been discontinued in Japan as well.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-n ... 0-6451647/
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Walmart has the pre-order for the Metroid: Samus Returns Special Edition up.

Link
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Looks like we'll be getting at least one more 3DS JRPG localized:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/t ... -alive-3ds

http://atlus.com/alliancealive/

Published by Atlus for early 2018 release. With this and their other early 2018 releases, it looks like Atlus is solely keeping the 3DS alive in the west next year. Unless SQEX bothers releasing DQ XI over here on 3DS (I hope they do).
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Found a review of that one, it looks like it maybe actually worth buying. After the let down of the longer game in Bravely Default and the step down sequel which I avoided there hasn't been much I'd care to bother with outside of that Tales game for RPGs on the system and Xenoblade which was so bloated/long I quit on that out of boredom. This being a 40~ hour game with good balance and interesting elements to it in there seems like a nice thing.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Whaaaat? I thought Bravely Default was amazing! I'll agree that Bravely Second wasn't as good, but Bravely Default was great.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

BD is the big waste of money I ever did put down for a CE on 3DS. Great music, great art. Poor everything else. It started off fine but it becomes so monotonous fast. Then the late game is so poorly done I quit. I honestly despise BD and it's my own fault for falling for the hype. I so rarely get burned like that but that game I am still in therapy for those burns.

Xenoblade however is one of the best RPGs in years. (dunno how the 3DS version is. I have the Wii version)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I got fed up with how they designed it. It's a pattern of development most of the Square-Enix games have had since around FFIV DS and post FF10(PS2.) You end up having these horrible pre-planned simon says type style battles with bosses. If you don't do the exact move at the exact time based upon the boss behavior you're basicaly going to lose, there's no leeway in the past to get creative and attempt many ways to drop a boss. With BD it was a fun fine ride up until that female boss in the fire area, the one who loved to sing/charm. I would have had to more or less set myself off into hours of restarting character development(grinding) for specific talents on my crew so that bitch would be rendered ineffective. Said talents would more or less then be put back off the characters after to not be used again. I don't like JRPG game design that plays like a simon says match so I stopped playing because I like choice in how I do my fights, not pre-planned do it or die stuff you learn from buying a guide or repeated beatings.

I agree otherwise it was an amazing game, up to that point. I saw that the sequel was more of that but with other negative aspects making it a worse title so I didn't bother.

I saw Segata dropped a similar less wordy comment about not liking BD when I tried to post. And to him Xenoblade on the 3DS is the same game, might look nicer or not due to the smaller screen area so details seem finer than a blurry 480p SD look the TV would get. The game doesn't have cuts if that's what you're wondering.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

The one thing that is a flaw about Xenoblade series is they don't explain mechanics very well. I don't think the battle system is very refined. They greatly fixed it in X. I love Xenoblade for its characters, music, world building and such. Exploring is fun. The topple mechanic is a pain esp the first 20 hours. One thing they never tell you but should do is target certain parts of an enemy. They streamlined the system in X but still don't explain it very well. Once you do figure it out battles become fun. Monolith I love them but they are seriously the worst at teaching you how to use the mechanics in the game. The mechanics themselves are pretty good (minus some issues in XC on Wii/3ds) Monolith doesn't even teach you by example like Botw would or Mega Man X first stage.