Nintendo 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by fastbilly1 »

My wife has a gaming pc that she uses for Torchlight 2, Commander Keen, and Mechwarrior 4. Or more likely Netflix on the projector.

Though most nights this week she has suggested we should play Zelda and wants her own Switch as soon as we can get a second one.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

fastbilly1 wrote:My wife has a gaming pc that she uses for ... Mechwarrior 4.

You definitely married a keeper.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Been thinking of getting a New 3ds xl. Pretty much just because I want the bigger screens.

I've mostly convinced myself to just grab the damn thing, but I'm still not quite sure if it's worth it just for that.

Any thoughts people? Does size really matter?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

CFFJR wrote:Been thinking of getting a New 3ds xl. Pretty much just because I want the bigger screens.

I've mostly convinced myself to just grab the damn thing, but I'm still not quite sure if it's worth it just for that.

Any thoughts people? Does size really matter?

I used to use a DSi and original 3DS for my handheld gaming, but I bought a 3DS XL a few years back and it's hard to go back to the old tiny screens. I picked up a New 3DS XL when it came out, and I also bought a DSi XL shortly after. I think they're worth it.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I'm the opposite. I prefer the smaller screens of the non-XL sizes. The resolution is the same across both lines so the smaller screen seems sharper. I do see a difference with 3DS games and its significant when playing DS games (I try to use the button combo to enable original resolution).

That being said, I have an XL and a 2DS. The latter has a smaller screen, more comfortable, and is $80 compared to $200. You just can't play a couple of New 3DS exclusives. No loss for me.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:Any thoughts people? Does size really matter?

I find the XL screens to be easier on my eyes than the original size. A New 3DS XL would be ideal as an upgrade over the original 3DS.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

^ I made the same jump - original 3DS to the New 3DS XL. I'm content with more hand room and the better processor for the New 3DS games (or SNES eShop titles).

I'm not sure I would have done the same if I already had a XL though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

MrPopo wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:My wife has a gaming pc that she uses for ... Mechwarrior 4.

You definitely married a keeper.

She found me a server cabinet on the side of the road and is currently trying to negotiate purchase of a broken Battletech pod. Definite keeper.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No doubt, wish mine was like that, but hey at least she has a 3DSXL. :P

Personally going back and forward (twice) between the 3DSXL and the New model, the New is really worth it. Size wise I had both the original and XL of that too.

It may be a hair bit sharper to the eye because you're viewing a smaller panel, but other than that there's no benefit. The larger body is more comfy to your hands, especially with a more L/R heavily using title. The screens are easier to see more detail and easier on the eyes if you have less than nice vision I hear. On the 'NEW' model you have double the RAM, double the CPU speed too, and finally a properly working 3D model due to a little head tracking camera action.

Even if you don't use the 3D much at all, the doubling up on the cpu/ram bits of it make the difference. System boots faster and into any app quicker. Some games such as Smash Bros will markably fire up quicker and between menus, while something like Hyrule Warriors will play correctly (that should never been allowed on a stock system.) If you ever need the little browser in it, it's a lot peppier too. If you're into the VC, if you care about SNES, New model only can handle it.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Heh, well I'm convinced! Majority says bigger is indeed better.

Comfort will likely be a big factor for that same reason. I've been running the original 3ds for years and I've never quite liked the way it felt in my hands.

Glad to know hear it's a worthy upgrade. Thanks for the input folks.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.