Anybody played Golden Sun: Dark Dawn yet?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Anybody played Golden Sun: Dark Dawn yet?

Post by AmishSamurai »

Really interested in it, but I never beat the first two games. How much lockout is there if you haven't beaten the first two? Any general opinion so far?
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody played Golden Sun: Dark Dawn yet?

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I ordered my copy I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I really enjoyed the first two games on the GBA great RPG's!! I think you should play them before starting the sequel on the DS to familiarize yourself with franchise. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Arbitern1
128-bit

Post by Arbitern1 »

Got it earlier today. I love it. I love Golden Sun. If you didn't like the first two you will not like this one,but i love it. It's a whole lot of nostalgia for me. Golden Sun was the first traditional RPG i ever played. There is an ass-load of text in the game and that puts some people off. It would be preferable to play the original games, but it is not necessary.
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

I've always viewed Golden sun as final fantasy+1. No idea why just always feels like the developer went, "Hey Final Fantasy is good, but it needs this, this and this." I've got to check this one out, the last two were great.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

I found the story & puzzles in the first GS to be good but I disliked the tediousness of the battle system and the random encounters. Uggh. I couldn't get myself to finish the game.
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

gtmtnbiker wrote:I found the story & puzzles in the first GS to be good but I disliked the tediousness of the battle system and the random encounters. Uggh. I couldn't get myself to finish the game.

The trick to random battle bordness is very simple. Fight all of them, every single one from the very start of the game. The result of this is that later on (usually on 30 minutes in on most RPGS) every random battle you have consists of a single spell or attack taking only a fraction of the time it would have. Plus it elimates grinding which most people seem to dislike.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Frizz.Meister wrote:The trick to random battle bordness is very simple. Fight all of them, every single one from the very start of the game. The result of this is that later on (usually on 30 minutes in on most RPGS) every random battle you have consists of a single spell or attack taking only a fraction of the time it would have. Plus it elimates grinding which most people seem to dislike.

Is this true for GS? I think I'm about 3-4 hours into the game and I haven't avoided any encounters. It still takes awhile to designate an attack for each party member and let it play out.