What Should Beginners Know About The N64?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

What Should Beginners Know About The N64?

Post by racketboy »

To continue in the RetroGaming 101 Series, I would like to know what you think beginners should know about the N64.
You can look at my Dreamcast 101 piece to get an idea of what I'm looking for.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/02/ ... guide.html

I'm not a big N64 expert, so there are probably some of you that know some little tidbits that I'm kinda fuzzy on.

Let me know what you think.

Feel free to contribute sentences or paragraphs -- anything is greatly appreciated!
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Well here's prolly all you need to know, though I may be missing something:

Best video connection possible:
S-video (if in america)
RGB (if in Europe)

Only buy the official expansion pack and remember to buy a N64 that has a jumper pak or a expansion pack in it. (may need verification)

Make sure to get an extra controller or two as the analog stick seems to get messed after a bit of play (may need verification).

Modding an American N64 to play Japanese N64 games is really easy, just get rid of the tabs inside the cartridge slot. This can be done with clippers or you can melt it with a soldering iron (just make sure not to breath in the fumes!). You may have to open it depending on how you want to get rid of them.

Reccomended games that are easy to find (tho if I'm wrong on a few, plz correct me):
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Tennis
Rogue Squadron
Turok

Reccomended games that may not be easy to find (tho, again, if I'm wrong, plz correct me):
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Star Fox 64
Kirby and the Crystal Shards
Glover
(You could include those mosdt underrated N64 games or w/e the contest was for...)

That's about all I can think of, hope that helps :)
Abras
24-bit

Post by Abras »

I think Mario Kart is actually kind of pricey. And I'd also like to add Paper Mario to the 2nd list.
Also, why not mention the revolutionary analog stick? And a discussion on carts vs CDs
You can also say that it has a lot of multiplayer games and 4 controller ports, so it's great for retro party gaming.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Abras wrote:I think Mario Kart is actually kind of pricey. And I'd also like to add Paper Mario to the 2nd list.
Also, why not mention the revolutionary analog stick? And a discussion on carts vs CDs
You can also say that it has a lot of multiplayer games and 4 controller ports, so it's great for retro party gaming.

And add Goldeneye 64. There is some debate about who had the analog stick first, N64 or the Sega Saturn (via NiGHTS).

A brief overview of the 64-DD might be a bit too escoteric for a general info article, but is interesting nonetheless.
Jubal
64-bit

Post by Jubal »

also an explanation of how to replace the jumper pak with the expansion pak,
not very intuitive design by big N imho

-Jubal-