Whats the best 3rd Party N64 controller?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Whats the best 3rd Party N64 controller?

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

winds wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:This is why I've been planning a modification that, in a nut shell, is getting a Gamecube stick on a Nintendo brand N64 controller.

The Hori pad is actually using official Gamecube parts from what i've read. That analog stick is an actual stick from the gamecube controller. Another reason it feels amazing and is superb quality.

Actually the Hori stick uses Hori's Dual Shock clone sticks as evidenced by the fact that the analog stick on it actually clicks down like the L3/R3 button on a PS controller and that the sticks are much much looser and offer less resistance than a Gamecube controller's analog stick.

What's true is that Nintendo purchased and later modified Hori's N64 Mini-Pad design to create what we now know as the Gamecube controller.

EDIT!: Also, both the Hori Mini-Pad and N64 Controller are connected to the main controller board by a 4 wire ribbon cable, if anyone were able to make them inter-compatible, or just cram a Hori Mini-Pad into an official controller shell (And possibly replace Hori's crappy analog stick with Nintendo's nice Official Gamecube sticks) then I'd be sold.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
winds wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:This is why I've been planning a modification that, in a nut shell, is getting a Gamecube stick on a Nintendo brand N64 controller.

The Hori pad is actually using official Gamecube parts from what i've read. That analog stick is an actual stick from the gamecube controller. Another reason it feels amazing and is superb quality.

Actually the Hori stick uses Hori's Dual Shock clone sticks as evidenced by the fact that the analog stick on it actually clicks down like the L3/R3 button on a PS controller and that the sticks are much much looser and offer less resistance than a Gamecube controller's analog stick.

What's true is that Nintendo purchased and later modified Hori's N64 Mini-Pad design to create what we now know as the Gamecube controller.

EDIT!: Also, both the Hori Mini-Pad and N64 Controller are connected to the main controller board by a 4 wire ribbon cable, if anyone were able to make them inter-compatible, or just cram a Hori Mini-Pad into an official controller shell (And possibly replace Hori's crappy analog stick with Nintendo's nice Official Gamecube sticks) then I'd be sold.

I have used the Hori Minipad in several portables and used it to replace the analog stick in the SuperPad 64 Plus :
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36609

Actually I totally disagree with you on the Hori's analog stick. It is VERY similar to the Gamecube in feel and sensitivity.

Also it is very simple to replace the Hori's Analog with a Gamecube Analog if one was so inclined, but there is absolutely no reason for this.

Of course all that is VERY subjective and everyones taste are different :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

hailrazer wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
winds wrote:The Hori pad is actually using official Gamecube parts from what i've read. That analog stick is an actual stick from the gamecube controller. Another reason it feels amazing and is superb quality.

Actually I totally disagree with you on the Hori's analog stick. It is VERY similar to the Gamecube in feel and sensitivity.

Also it is very simple to replace the Hori's Analog with a Gamecube Analog if one was so inclined, but there is absolutely no reason for this.

Of course all that is VERY subjective and everyones taste are different :)

True, I just seem to prefer the heavier resistance of Nintendo's official Gamecube springs over the looser Hori's.

Would it be possible to do this in an official N64 Controller Shell just as easily as say the Superpad mod you did and somehow keep Nintendo's octagon outline, or just cut one out of the dead GCN controller and epoxy it onto the 64 controller?
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
Would it be possible to do this in an official N64 Controller Shell just as easily as say the Superpad mod you did and somehow keep Nintendo's octagon outline, or just cut one out of the dead GCN controller and epoxy it onto the 64 controller?

You can't use the Gamecube or Hori stick in an Official N64 controller as it doesn't use pots on the analog stick. But there are brand new third party controllers for sale on Ebay that are almost identical to the original and you can change out the sticks on them.

But the Gamecube analogs have a wide ball of plastic that is under the thumb stick that would have to be trimmed to get it to fit in the N64 controller with the octagonal piece still in it. If you were to cut out the Gamecube octagonal piece you would have to epoxy it in and then sand and paint the controller, a lot of work.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

hailrazer wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:

You can't use the Gamecube or Hori stick in an Official N64 controller as it doesn't use pots on the analog stick. But there are brand new third party controllers for sale on Ebay that are almost identical to the original and you can change out the sticks on them.

But the Gamecube analogs have a wide ball of plastic that is under the thumb stick that would have to be trimmed to get it to fit in the N64 controller with the octagonal piece still in it. If you were to cut out the Gamecube octagonal piece you would have to epoxy it in and then sand and paint the controller, a lot of work.

True, but I'm glad to hear it's at least possible!
My Consoles:

fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7186633/1/

Pretty good write up there.. I don't like that a lot of the controllers were quite old and used when being reviewed (as opposed to new). But i guess that's how all controllers end up and it might say a lot about longevity.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:

True, but I'm glad to hear it's at least possible!

Exactly what I plan to do. I'm gonna put a Cube stick on a SuperPad (not the SuperPad Plus, a regular SuperPad like this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SS500_.jpg ) and fit it inside an official first party N64 controller.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18947

And to stay on topic, here's a pic that Bacteria posted...

And this is a similar thread with suggestions on 3rd party controllers...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18906&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Video of PSX in an official controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFbFlmr-h2Q

Video of PSP attached to an official board. (not that id want to do that lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6shU7vhMRps
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Damn, that first link is EXACTLY what I want to do! He said he programmed it to work on an official 64 pad, I wonder if that's true. I wonder if he'd share how he done it.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Ziggy587 wrote:Damn, that first link is EXACTLY what I want to do! He said he programmed it to work on an official 64 pad, I wonder if that's true. I wonder if he'd share how he done it.

Yes its true but it is complicated and IMO not worth the time and effort.
My Portable Systems: