Can we talk about 3DS models?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Can we talk about 3DS models?

Post by noiseredux »

from everything I can find online, the refurb bundles that GS puts together are physical stock.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I did end up taking a chance on the bundle. I have confirmation that the games are physical, though I'm not certain if they're new/used yet. Guess we'll see. Should arrive Monday/Tuesday. Anyway, thanks for the input guys - I ended up deciding on the 'New' hardware after discovering that a bunch of the SNES Virtual Console games were exclusive to New 3DS. Basically you had me at Dracula X.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Odds are they'll be used unless they had NEW (killed the SKU) and made them 'used' as they do at times to get rid of things or inflate a price over MSRP as in the past with the Wii games. The only question I think would be, loose card or total package. Either way it's a solid deal.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Okay, so I did get that refurb bundle in and I'm pleased. The New 2DS XL wasn't boxed or anything, but it is in excellent condition. There's some light scuffing on the bottom of the system that you have to look for to notice. Other than, the thing looks brand new. Screen is pristine. The bundled games were in fact used copies, however both came in their original cases and even had the little disclaimer papers or whatever come with 3DS games that aren't manuals. So yeah. I'm happy with the purchase. I did play a bit of NES Remix while listening to TV last night and I love how light this particular model feels.

My only annoyance is that apparently my Nintendo ID is still tied to the 3DS XL that I sold like three years ago, so I had to get on the phone with Ninty support (who was very helpful and nice, in fairness) to get that straightened out and turn-around time is about a week. Oh well.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Turn around a week on what?

You don't mean account recovery do you? A few years back I sold off a New3DSXL because I wasn't using it as I found this really cherry 3DSXL red at a garage sale, anyway Nintendo internally considered it a back dated system. Their system publicly only allows you to system transfer forward, but uniquely to the New3DS line they considered it new hardware unlike the DSi or really the GBC too. I had to call them, but after a half hour on the phone I was left with a ticket, but within a day they sorted it out and gave me the access and I recovered my setup and previous purchases too from the newer system and it hard delinked it as well. If they're saying a week either they're playing it safe, very backlogged right now, or they changed how it works making it more of a problem on their end.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

She flat told me it's because they're very backlogged right now, yeah.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So strange... the original 3DS didn't have SNES games. It ran GBA fine. This is news to me that they are on the New 3DS models.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Jagosaurus wrote:Two things...

Most of the OG models I've seen that actually go in pockets get that scratch ring on the upper screen (from the bottom border).

I am almost certain on this but recalling from a few year back... DS games, when ran at native resolution (hold start upon booting) on a 3DS XL are almost the exact same size as the DSi XL. Meaning you have a DSi XL and 3DS XL in one without stretching games out to weird aspect ratios. Cool bonus.

This may have already been addressed, but the screen size matches a DSi XL only in the stretched mode. Using pixel-perfect resolution reduces it to closer to the size of a DS Lite or regular DSi.
Last edited by Sarge on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Jagosaurus wrote:So strange... the original 3DS didn't have SNES games. It ran GBA fine. This is news to me that they are on the New 3DS models.

My understanding (which might be totally wrong) is that some of the internal 3DS hardware is similar enough to the GBA that it can be used to help run the games, whereas the SNES games being fully emulated need some more processing power.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Correct. The 3DS is using a ARM11 and ARM9 processor. The DS had a ARM9/ARM7. The GBA originally ran an ARM7. They're probably using a backwards compatibility mode in the ARM chip to achieve GBA emulation on the 3DS, much like the PSP uses a chipset that share similarities with the original PlayStation.