Prospect of a new F-Zero HD Switch Title?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Prospect of a new F-Zero HD Switch Title?

Post by racketboy »

I'm not a Smash Bros fan (would like to be though -- just haven't played much), but has there been much innovation there?
I feel like F-Zero has good eSports potential and just some solid refinement and new tracks would be more than enough. Just get a finely tuned game on a modern platform.
Throw in some good eye candy to give it more marketing appeal.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

As mentioned, I think the big thing they could do with the IP that few others are would be to make it story-oriented. It's something EA has been doing with sports games, and other racing games do somewhat now too (Forza Horizon for instance), but maybe not to the same level Nintendo would. Plus it's something Mario Kart doesn't try to do at all.

On the other end of the spectrum, it'd probably do well as a Trackmania style mobile game, with bite-size segments.

Otherwise, I mean, the sales numbers for similar franchises probably don't show promise for reviving the series.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

isiolia wrote:Otherwise, I mean, the sales numbers for similar franchises probably don't show promise for reviving the series.

But the sales numbers are all based on a bunch of installments on GBA/N64/GC that were all within a few years of each other. It's been over 13 years since the last GBA release and over 14 years since the Gamecube release.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Similar franchises - the Wipeouts, Redouts, Fast RMX, etc out there. Some of which are on the Switch, giving Nintendo very good insight as to how much they're selling and being played in 2017.

There was a time when having that super-fast racing game on the system was a tech showcase. That, to a fair point, is when Nintendo did F-Zero - the original (like Pilotwings) showed off Mode 7, later 3D or textures or what have you. It's kinda like the arena FPS - there are still examples out there, but it's far from the showcase thing these days unless there's a twist a la Overwatch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

isiolia wrote:Similar franchises - the Wipeouts, Redouts, Fast RMX, etc out there. Some of which are on the Switch, giving Nintendo very good insight as to how much they're selling and being played in 2017.

There was a time when having that super-fast racing game on the system was a tech showcase. That, to a fair point, is when Nintendo did F-Zero - the original (like Pilotwings) showed off Mode 7, later 3D or textures or what have you. It's kinda like the arena FPS - there are still examples out there, but it's far from the showcase thing these days unless there's a twist a la Overwatch.

OK gotcha -- I thought you were just referring to the franchise. I honestly don't know a whole lot about the third-part Switch lineup...
marurun

Post by marurun »

F-Zero and Pilotwings were originally essentially tech demos to show what you could do with Mode 7 on the new hardware. They were present on the N64 because they were a natural transition to 3D and still present in people's minds. But over time, I think the tech demo origins have begun to wear thin.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

The tech demo racer went from Daytona 500/F-Zero to Forza and Project Cars. Give me the tech demos of yesteryear. Far more fun than boring sim games.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

racketboy wrote:I'm not a Smash Bros fan (would like to be though -- just haven't played much), but has there been much innovation there?
I feel like F-Zero has good eSports potential and just some solid refinement and new tracks would be more than enough. Just get a finely tuned game on a modern platform.
Throw in some good eye candy to give it more marketing appeal.

I've played them all, and obviously it's me here, but I think it has been a pretty poor downhill slide since the Gamecube release. The Wii game had some really wonky delay/oddball mechanics to moves that really sucked. Then the 3DS/WiiU game pushed back more towards the GC game, but it almost seemed like despite having all the variety and even a fizzle of a platform game mode, it was more built with those hardcore online players in mind as the big draw and I got really bored of it really really fast and sold it off. I'm sure anyone here into punching out Nintendo IP in the face online won't agree with that, but if you're more in line with the single player style with the optional multiplayer local fun setup of the first two, it's a let down.

F-Zero has a lot of potential and it's being wasted. If they took the GX angle, ran with a not so sadist evil story mode (have one as a choice, not as THE choice) and the other laundry list of ideas EX had it would be a really welcome awesome thing to have.

And that said it's right they were born as tech games, and Pilotwings has always been singularly abused as such (SNES mode7, N64 ooh polygons!, and then 3DS for 3D visuals) so it's been a thin thing you can just rehash and get bored of fairly fast. F-Zero not so much. It started as one, you could even argue it was a little on N64 with that solid 60fps being set, but it was so much more and can be yet again if Nintendo would just try or let someone else try for them.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Melee is a bit too fast and the game is somewhat broken because of it. Nostalgia oversells Melee. Wii U Smash is easily the best in the series. Not as slow as Brawl and not too fast like Melee. Nice balance in between. Has the best roster of the series.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I would love to see a new F-Zero. GX was tough as nails but one of the few really hard games that I actually enjoyed playing. It wouldn’t hurt them to throw in an easy mode though.

And since it was brought up, I’d really like a new Pilotwings too. I would love it if they actually used the graphical power of the switch and made one with realistic landscapes. The 3ds one was okay but I found it pretty disappointing since it had less to do than the 64 version.