Saturn Randomly Restarting?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ziggy

Re: Saturn Randomly Restarting?

Post by Ziggy »

Just FYI, caps can go bad without having visible signs.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I received a new power supply from ebay today. I put it in and with some adjustment, I could get it to play an audio cd... but it would not spin on its own. I had to move the laser to the center of the disc.
No matter where I put the laser's pot it would not pick up a game original or burnt. Nor would it start a disc spinning on it's own.
So now I am at a loss as to what to do. I'm guessing it's the whole CD mechanism.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

So it was something on the CD Drive board. I installed a new (used) CD drive and it all works with the original PSU.
So now I have a new laser and an extra PSU which both work and my old laser which may still be good for spare parts in the future.
Thank you so much for helping me solve this problem.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Glad you got it working!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Sweet! Glad to hear, and glad you posted all details for the next person with the same problem.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Yeah the seller was a cool dude. He was selling his CD unit because he installed a Phoebe, so I knew before I bid on the part it was coming from a collector or someone who cares about the condition.
As a bonus her also sent me two more modchips since he said he wouldn't need them anymore.
After all is said and done it ended up being a cool experience.
BLOG | BST