Single power source for NES/AV Famicom/SNES/Genesis 2

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Single power source for NES/AV Famicom/SNES/Genesis 2

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while but I kept putting it off. I'll be changing my entire setup soon so i figure this would be a good time to try. Anyone want to double check this before I buy everything?

SNES -- DC10V 850mA Center Negative 7mm x 1mm Connector
NES --- AC9V 1.3A Does not matter? 5.5mm x 2.1mm Connector
AVFC -- DC10V 850mA Center Negative 5.5mm x 2.1mm Connector
GEN2 -- DC10V 0.85A Center Positive 4.75mm x 1.7mm Connector

As far as I can tell the SNES/FC/GEN run at 5v and use an internal 7805 to take 10v down to 5v. And the NES can do the same with DC or AC.
So, this https://www.fasttech.com/products/1271300 should be fine? I don't plan to run any of these at the same time so I'm thinking 2A should be enough even if I mistakenly run 2 at once some day down the road.

Attach this to it https://www.fasttech.com/products/5481002

Then attach one of these to each lead https://www.fasttech.com/products/1900601

Cut two of the tips off and re solder them to be center negative for the NES and AVFC.
Cut off one more tip and add an SNES plug (That i already have).

Finally attach this to the last lead for the Genesis https://www.fasttech.com/products/1317806 I'm hoping the 4.8mm will fit even though the official spec is 4.75mm.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Single power source for NES/AV Famicom/SNES/Genesis 2

Post by samsonlonghair »

Just wanted to confirm the AC/DC thing with the NES. I have been powering my NES with a DC power supply for fifteen years. I sure wouldn't use the AC power supply from an NES on any other console. Just confirming that you can power the NES with a standard DC power supply without any long term damage to the NES.

If you're reconsidering your electrical connections, it's probably a good time to check all your grounding lines and your circuit breaker. Make sure everything is up to spec, especially since you're tying all your consoles into a single circuit.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Thanks.

All my consoles are already on the same circuit, and have been for many years. :)

I may not do this based on shitty China power supplys. If i find a good one for cheap i might try it. I don't NEED to do this, i just thought it would be a fun project.

I think the best cheap option would be a PS2 slim AC adapter. But i can't find an OEM one under 20 CAD shipped, and i think 8.5v might be pushing it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That setup looks fine to me.
The recommended one I was reading about is the Pwr+ 9V 2A with a reverse polarity jumper cable
As far as NES goes, I powered one off a pile of 9V batteries while camping using an adapter made of cut and twisted wires and electrical tape (I didn't know soldering existed) in the early 90s. With my pile of half-dead 9V batteries (salvaged from the smoke detectors that had just had new ones installed) and aa batteries and my passive-matrix hand-held LCD screen, I had a blast. The battery life was horrible, and I didn't make it that far. Still killed the Lich in FF1 and got Shadow Blade (Bro helped with 2P pad cheat)

Later I figured out hardware hacking games by dragging a pile of keys across the cart connector pins after opening it was a thing. The NES should be dead, but my nephew still plays it and he's the same age as I was when I did that. Same AC-DC adapter brick too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Yea, i just read about that PSU. Also about Triad Magnetics adapters. Some say one is better. others say the other! hehe

"Later I figured out hardware hacking games by dragging a pile of keys across the cart connector pins after opening it was a thing. "

Please, go on...

EDIT: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64006

EDIT: I found an OEM PS2 Slim adapter for $15 CAD shipped from Japan. After a bit of looking around, the 7805 only really needs 7.5v to work properly. They only used 10v back in the day because the PSUs weren't as good as they are today. I'm thinking a 'modern' 8.5v will be just fine.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I had opened my NES because my pin connector was crap and the only way I could make games run was to jam stuff against it to make the connection more secure. I accidentally dragged a screwdriver across the connector and it did something cool. I found that while a game is running if I randomly short pins together weird stuff happens. Most of the time the game will just crash, but sometimes the music, graphics, colors or even levels will change - stuff like this youtube video shows. A great way to increase the longevity of games that I'd played to death.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

LOL, cool.

I can die happily now!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:I had opened my NES because my pin connector was crap and the only way I could make games run was to jam stuff against it to make the connection more secure. I accidentally dragged a screwdriver across the connector and it did something cool. I found that while a game is running if I randomly short pins together weird stuff happens. Most of the time the game will just crash, but sometimes the music, graphics, colors or even levels will change - stuff like this youtube video shows. A great way to increase the longevity of games that I'd played to death.

So for anyone that is interested, I think I can explain why this happens with my limited knowledge of electronics.

As a huge coincidence, I just stumbled upon this YouTube video that explains how Read Only Memory (ROM) chips work using LEDs as a visual indicator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA12Z7gQ4P0

A ROM has different address lines that are used to access different areas of memory on the chip. Think of the ROM as a house, and you want to store all of your stuff in all of the rooms of the house. The address lines control which room you're looking in. The above linked YouTube video does a good job showing how the address lines work, but the important thing to note is that each address line is either high or low (binary). High being 5v (in this case) and low being 0v (or ground). The NES (or whatever console) directly interfaces with the address pins on the ROM chip on the cart, and will make each address line either low or high depending on what piece of data it wants to read.

So, by shorting pins together with a screwdriver or whatever, you're causing the NES to read a different area in memory than it was intending to. This would have a totally random effect, as Anapan noted.

You could build something to sit between the cart and the console, and wire each address line to a switch so you could pull each address line high or low respective of what the NES had it set to. That would be safer than shorting pins. But this is also basically how a Game Genie works, minus the random part. The Game Genie sits between the ROM on the cart and the console. When you enter a Game Genie code, you're instructing the Game Genie to watch for a specific memory location and return a specific value (a different value for that address than what would have been read from the ROM).