Connecting other systems to a PS One lcd

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
ESauced
64-bit

Connecting other systems to a PS One lcd

Post by ESauced »

I ordered a PS One with lcd primarily so I can play other systems on the lcd. It has a 3.5mm plug on the back for AV out. I tried ordering a 3.5mm male to female rca and connecting my N64 to that and it didn’t output to the screen.

I think I just need a particular adapter to do this and I’ve seen people do it online, but I can’t tell what’s wrong with the one I bought. Has anyone done this before and what do I need to buy?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Connecting other systems to a PS One lcd

Post by samsonlonghair »

I don’t think that’s how it works, dude.

The A/V Out port is literally an output, not an input. This port is for connecting your PSOne to a TV screen without disconnecting the LCD.

I hate to break it to you, but I don’t believe that the PSOne LCD screen comes with generic inputs. I don’t believe you can do what you want to do unless you are prepared to bust out a soldering gun and make significant modifications to your LCD screen.

Sorry brother. I hope I’m wrong about this one. If anyone else knows better than me, then maybe they can give you the answer you want to hear. :(
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

It seems weird but there is an A/V out port that looks like a headphone jack. I’ve read about connecting other consoles using it and watched videos of people doing it. Either this video is a fake or I’m just not using the right cord. The one I have looks like this one except I found an adapter that has all three ports for the composite because I was hoping to keep stereo sound (start the video at about 17 minutes)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KEclYKQ9GAM

I also found this but it’s old and none of the pictures or links work:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/168 ... k-warning/
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

That is an av in port, not an out. Apparently if you get the 3.5mm stereo splitter, one of the lines goes to the video in on that plug. So to try it, just plug in the splitter, try the yellow video on one side, and if it doesnt work, try the other.
You need to show us what you got.

but you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobi-LockTM-Earphone-Headset-Splitter/dp/B01CEZJHKC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526873502&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=stereo+splitter&psc=1
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Jmustang1968 wrote:That is an av in port, not an out. Apparently if you get the 3.5mm stereo splitter, one of the lines goes to the video in on that plug. So to try it, just plug in the splitter, try the yellow video on one side, and if it doesnt work, try the other.
You need to show us what you got.

but you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobi-LockTM-Earphone-Headset-Splitter/dp/B01CEZJHKC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526873502&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=stereo+splitter&psc=1

Yes I meant to say a/v in of course. Thanks. I tried every combination on the one I got (plugging yellow into yellow, white and red) so I don’t really see any point in posting a picture. Maybe I just got a faulty cord. It was a cheap one from China.

I found a splitter like what you linked but mine was 3.5mm male to 2 rca female. Yours is just a headphone 3.5mm make to 2 3.5mm female splitter. I’m assuming I need the rca splitter and I’m guessing that was what you meant to post. Unless you had another idea?

Curious if anyone here has done this though? I know the ps one lcd is popular to use for creating custom handhelds but not all of us are good with electronics. Any dum dums like me who play n64 by connecting to a ps one lcd like this?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ESauced wrote:I ordered a PS One with lcd primarily so I can play other systems on the lcd. It has a 3.5mm plug on the back for AV out. I tried ordering a 3.5mm male to female rca and connecting my N64 to that and it didn’t output to the screen.

I think I just need a particular adapter to do this and I’ve seen people do it online, but I can’t tell what’s wrong with the one I bought. Has anyone done this before and what do I need to buy?

Looking at the video, that is an AV input. You need a camcorder cable which has a four prong 3.5mm mini jack. I own an aftermarket PS1 LCD that has an auxiliary video input. There is a video select switch on the panel that must be moved to either PS1 or the auxiliary input.

Camcorder AV cable - https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-Hand ... B00PCEL954
If the fragile mini jack is faulty, a Guncon adapter could also work using composite to the regular PS1 av jack at the front.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Well I'll be samned! I learned something new today. :lol:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I have adapters - lots of them - including the official sony 1:1 camcorder to PSOne LCD cable, and I'm willing to find the best of what I have and ship it to you for cost of shipping in a padded envelope if you haven't found the right combination yet (tho I'm in Canada so it might be over what you can get shipped free from china... I'll give you a not over $6 USD guarantee without looking @ where you live). I'd prefer to tap into the RGB pins internally, but the external 3.5mm input is pretty clean and does accept most any other consoles composite input natively - It does a fine job of displaying it - that's why so many modders use it for their handhelds. Since I have at least two of the exact right 2.5mm to 3-RCA connection adapters (tho I will be giving you the female/male connection type I have the most of and a cable if necessary), because I know it's a pain to find the right one that doesn't introduce signal noise from the audio, or need to be swapped through routing y-cables from one pin to the other; Many 4-pin headphone-jack-type AV devices used the same ground and swapped out the video for one of the stereo pins etc... I hate having to halfway pull out a cable to get a video signal to come through and lose a channel of audio (tho I've used this method temporarily, and it will temporarily fix your problem).
Anyway, PM me if you are interested - I'll give you the best matching 4-pin 2.5mm setup I have - I've transitioned to RGB for most everything now and I have a surplus - The drawers of BNC-RCA-3.5mm cables are overflowing.
(fluffed up for dramatic effect)
PSOne LCD connection.jpg
PSOne LCD connection.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

That’s really generous of you. I already have one coming through amazon (the one linked above) but if it doesn’t work I’ll post again. Thanks!