Moving a Windows 7 install

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Moving a Windows 7 install

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, it seems like the short answer is, you can't. But I would like some other opinions.

So I cobbled together an older (but way better than I'm using) PC. I am not interested in getting a new/current/elite PC, I enjoy scavenging and giving purpose to the obsolete. I embrace the outdated, understood?, awesome.

I need a semi-current copy of Windows on this thing. I would prefer to move my "Upgrade" version of Win7 (PC came with Vista installed originally and I have both install discs, Vista and 7 upgrade).
Is there a chance that can happen if I bother the right support dude at Microsoft?

Alternatively, I am open to buying a retail copy of Win7 if I have the option of installing it on a different PC in the future. I seem to gather that OEM versions are Locked to the motherboard forever. Can't seem to identify a version available that is not...

Anyone know of a good option for me (before I waste $80-$110 on a hopelessly aging box).
...just another lost soul...
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Moving a Windows 7 install

Post by isiolia »

The intent for OEM version is to be locked to the hardware it's sold with, hence the lower license cost. Sometimes it'll transfer anyway, but it's hit or miss. Full retail can be deactivated and moved, but it's a lot more expensive to start with.

Seems like you can get OEM versions on eBay for a bit less - I've only bought XP that way though, but at $30-40 it'd be more palatable. MS has a program for system refurbishers to get OEM licenses cheap, but I think 7 is no longer being offered. Still, far as I know, that's one route for a lot of those lower cost licenses. You'd again be unlikely to be able to transfer it, but, that's kind of why many people go with OEM when building anyway - can buy multiple OEM licenses for what retail would cost. Given that you can buy a refurb system for ~$100 with a Windows 7 (or 10) license, it may not be worth spending that on just a key, depending on what you've put together.

If the new motherboard is from a larger OEM (like Dell), then it may have a bulk license version that'd work - alternatively, if the old one is, and has a sticker on the case, that serial is not usually the one in use and it may work with a general install via manual activation.

If the new board has had an 8 or 10 running on it before, then one of those may activate automatically on it (licensing is stored or keyed to the BIOS).
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I have the Windows 7 disc, installs just fine on a different laptop.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, thanks for the ideas.

I'll go with an OEM of Win 7, as they are offered by some resellers for cheap right now. I don't plan on using anything else with it.

Seems a little grey from a user agreement standpoint, but a legal version at least.

Anyways, it was fun to piece the computer together. Can't wait to have it running. It will be my main PC for a while.
...just another lost soul...