Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Atari paddle controllers are misaligned

by Mozgus Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Maybe someone has a clue how to fix this. I got some authentic old atari 2600 tennis paddle controllers. The kind that are a rotating dial. Its basically just a variable resistor dial inside. I took them apart and cleaned them to fix the jitters somewhat, but what I cant fix is how off-center these are. Rotating fully counter clockwise leaves a few inches of a gap in Breakout, for example. Rotating back to about 50% (center), and the platform is almost on the far right of the screen. Then beyond that it flies off screen to the right. Like with all tech issues I have, I'm the only one in the world who has it and google cant find anything even remotely close to this issue mentioned anywhere.
Probably not the Mozgus you remember. More understanding, more drunk, less irate, less informative.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Atari paddle controllers are misaligned

by fastbilly1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I had a set with the same issue. And after weeks of research and tinkering, I just got another set that did not have the issue.

My theory is that I jacked up the dial somehow
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Hmm, well it was hard enough to find these two. And it's such a simple circuit. The issue has to be it either is resisting too little or too much. I may build new ones. There's guides online. You basically buy the potentiometer and just cut it down to size and wire it in.

Also I took apart the Atari flashback 8 and when I place my finger on the controller port pins on the backside it actually aligns player 1 perfect but not player 2. Both controllers go into port 1.
Probably not the Mozgus you remember. More understanding, more drunk, less irate, less informative.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Thats a new one on me. If player one works correctly, I would open both and try to match the settings. If not, replacing the pot is just three soldering points.

How did you fix the stutter issue? Just a qtip with alcohol?

Its been a while since I took one apart, but I think the usable range is only 60 degrees. Bacteria or CRT might know the details.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah cleaning them out fixed most of the stutter.
Return to Technical Help