oXbox Component Cable Help/Recommendation

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: oXbox Component Cable Help/Recommendation

Post by Jagosaurus »

So you're rocking s video also?

Yeah, reading the reviews some folks got a third party adapter. I could always PM the sellers asking for a pic to ensure it's OEM. I want to teat the s video first.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

That "static" line is kinda an oddity in the screenshot. Is the Xbox connected to a 1080p TV? Maybe an upscale issue; try a game that supports 1080i or 720p to see if different results?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

CRTGAMER wrote:That "static" line is kinda an oddity in the screenshot. Is the Xbox connected to a 1080p TV? Maybe an upscale issue; try a game that supports 1080i or 720p to see if different results?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Yeah connected to a 1080p set. It upscales 480 movies (.avi, .mkv) just fine to both 720p & 1080i with no issues. I'm not against testing it out though. Maybe the video handshake is different for oXbox SD games and the TV doesn't like upscaling them. I'll DL a HD game & give it a shot. I'd be surprised though because the same TV handles PS2, GCN, & Wii 480 content over component with no problems.

I should also test on HD set downstairs but it's on the mantle and a pain to get to. One step at a time!

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Jagosaurus wrote:So you're rocking s video also?

Yep, on 2 TV's no less (one just has arcade games and a couple emulators on it).
I mostly keep the component for when I feel like a widescreen LCD fix. Sometimes I use it for Steel Batallion setup on an HD tube TV.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:So you're rocking s video also?

Yep, on 2 TV's no less (one just has arcade games and a couple emulators on it).
I mostly keep the component for when I feel like a widescreen LCD fix. Sometimes I use it for Steel Batallion setup on an HD tube TV.

Nice. Okay, looking forward to seeing how the S video shapes up.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

S-video really is my main option for older consoles; it's just been surpassed for modern systems. I think you'll be happy with it.
I'm probably the only guy in my rural area that even knows what the connection is anymore.

Now PS3/360 on up is a different story. They need component or HDMI just so that you can read the in game text properly.
Xbox is the happy medium with good options, accommodating most of your TV inputs. I only fear that component will be fazed out completely one day.

On another note:
Eventually, I want to get some more SCART cables for use with my other signal converters. Currently I just have one for Genesis.
But even S-video is upscaled fairly nice using my X-RGB 3. Standard A/V, not so much.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:S-video really is my main option for older consoles; it's just been surpassed for modern systems. I think you'll be happy with it.
I'm probably the only guy in my rural area that even knows what the connection is anymore.

Now PS3/360 on up is a different story. They need component or HDMI just so that you can read the in game text properly.
Xbox is the happy medium with good options, accommodating most of your TV inputs. I only fear that component will be fazed out completely one day.

On another note:
Eventually, I want to get some more SCART cables for use with my other signal converters. Currently I just have one for Genesis.
But even S-video is upscaled fairly nice using my X-RGB 3. Standard A/V, not so much.

Okay, Limited testing so far but s video is definitely a step up for the oXbox over stock composite. I ran composite for a bit right before switching to s vid so I'd have a fresh reference point. Funny you mentioned the newer PS/MS consoles needing component for text.

S Video Results:
I immediately noticed the text on my UnleashedX dashboard being much clearer. I booted up Halo CE where the title screen and all menu text looked much better. Within the game, enemy 3D models looked less blurry (far away) and less jagged (closer). Wall textures also improved and appeared more crisp. Colors do seem a bit better as well. My gameroom LCD is almost 10 years old so blacks never look great. Nothing to report on that front. The blues in Halo do seem a bit brighter though. I want to test Doom 3 soon which looks great over component and extremely muddy on composite.

The S video cord itself is intense. I've never seen one before where you can tell that is two cable sections (chroma/luma) coming together into one interface. Looks like they're both their cable actually, then merge at the head. It is a high quality as you'd expect from an OEM MS cable.

Overall, s video is a noticeable jump over composite for the console. The increase in quality is well worth the $12 for the official cables linked above IMO.

Of course, component looks better and allows 480p and HD... only if my cheapo component cables didn't display random lines at times :(. If you can't get your hands on OEM or Monster component cables for a fair price, s video may be a nice middle ground for you. 8)

Add: The XRGB mini supporting s video and composite is one reason I'm leaning towards it over the OSCC. I don't have to make the jump to RGB all at once, which itself can be costly, outside the cost of the scaler/doubler. Sure, RGB is the end game but I like the multiple options a bit more.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

One of our awesome members was nice enough to hook me up with a pair of Monster component cables.

Wow. Looks amazing. Textures are crisp and colors are less washed out. The jump to 480p obviously helps. The mod dashboard in 1080i is crystal clear. I need to try out some HD games now!

Artifacting is gone so it was 100% the cheap cables & not an issue with my console.

As expected, use s video over composite but go with an OEM & Monster component cable if you have a chance.

WARvault
16-bit

Post by WARvault »

Jagosaurus wrote:Okay, bypassing power surge and removing possible electrical interference didn't help. I tested from both HDD loading & disc. Problem is not there with OEM composite cables.

Pic below. Hard to capture. It's actually worse in person. Look just above the lower horizontal tree branch & then right at the second level of the dock. There's usually a couple traveling up and down.

Same problem you're having WAR?

I might settle for s video for the time being. I can always pick up pawn shop TVs in the future with more "older" inputs. Eventually I'll pick up a XRGB or OSCC. $50-$60 on a single cable could go towards another TV in the future or one of the scalers/line doublers.

I can't see your screenshot in this post. The rest of the thread seems to show our POS cables are responsible for the artifacts. Thanks and "dammit more money to spend" I guess... :D
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, photobucket went to a paid model. I have a ton of linked photos to replace.

Correct, it was all due to cheap cables. oXbox is the only system I've had that experience with. Monster cables alleviated all artifacting, tearing, or rippling.