GD ROM

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: Any lists out there?

Post by Mozgus »

Ivo wrote:Are there any (complete or partial) lists out there with each game and how the rips were done?

Some of you guys that have a DC for a while already seem to know off the top of your head this data for the better known games at least.
Might be a nice effort to compile this sort of thing?

Ivo.

90% of the time, the original NFO file will tell you if the game has content remove or degraded. You can find most of these NFO files at
http://www.theisonews.com/

With that info, I tend to write on the CD-R itself, things like "Mono music" or "Duplicated tracks" or whatever was murdered in the process. Then I try to buy the game eventually.

Zed wrote:Oh yeah. Specially Headhunter. My DC screamed so much while reading that rip it wasn't even funny. I have the same problem with a Power Stone rip (1 or 2? I can't remember). The slight pauses in Skies of Arcadia never bothered me that much, though.

Slight pauses? ECHELON's Arcadia rip had practically double the load times because of the severe stuttering during each load point. Also, every single special move or other lengthy attack had it's audio off-sync by about 2 seconds.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:
Ivo wrote:Are there any (complete or partial) lists out there with each game and how the rips were done?

Some of you guys that have a DC for a while already seem to know off the top of your head this data for the better known games at least.
Might be a nice effort to compile this sort of thing?

Ivo.

90% of the time, the original NFO file will tell you if the game has content remove or degraded. You can find most of these NFO files at
http://www.theisonews.com/

With that info, I tend to write on the CD-R itself, things like "Mono music" or "Duplicated tracks" or whatever was murdered in the process. Then I try to buy the game eventually.

Zed wrote:Oh yeah. Specially Headhunter. My DC screamed so much while reading that rip it wasn't even funny. I have the same problem with a Power Stone rip (1 or 2? I can't remember). The slight pauses in Skies of Arcadia never bothered me that much, though.

Slight pauses? ECHELON's Arcadia rip had practically double the load times because of the severe stuttering during each load point. Also, every single special move or other lengthy attack had it's audio off-sync by about 2 seconds.

Thanks for the NFO tip. Surprised I didn't think of that.
I think I have a large collection of NFOs somewhere.
I wonder how detailed they get with the issues.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:I wonder how detailed they get with the issues.

Sometimes, not very detailed. Like in Guilty Gear X, it mentions that some songs were removed, but I don't think it says which. All I know is the very first song you hear, the intro song, is not actually the intro song, but just a stage track. That's a bad sign.

I also hated how they removed entire FMVs from Headhunter. They were important to the story; I don't care what the rippers say. I played the pirated version and the game feels very fragmented in pace. Then I bought the game from a friend in germany for real cheap, and now the game makes perfect sense, transitioning from chapter to chapter.
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

I've downloaded a ton of DC games... Most capcom games are well done, I know SFIII Third Strike had stage music ripped. Vampire Chronicles had the intro video's downsampled as well as audio. Resident Evil Code: Veronica had a lot of things downsampled. Audio, video (just look at the intro). I know more, I'm just drawing a blank right now.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Saraph wrote:I know SFIII Third Strike had stage music ripped.

No, SF3:TS was completely intact. Every stage has the 3 variations for the three rounds per fight.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Maybe Double Impact?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:Maybe Double Impact?

Doubtful. The NFO says nothing about anything being ripped, though it was by Kalisto, and they had a habit of neglecting to mention these things, especially back then before self-booting was discovered.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Yeah I dislike backup copies on the dreamcast I've tried to buy all of my own games
So i have quite a few games from Japan / America / UK regions so I wonder if anyones got a chipped dreamcast i've looked in quite a few places but these seem really rare since Dreamcast backups didnt need a chip.
I'd prefer the chip method to play games from different regions as I'm hoping it will sort out display errors as opposed to the Action Replay method that doesn't fix the games speed or aspect ratio
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

Mozgus wrote:
Saraph wrote:I know SFIII Third Strike had stage music ripped.

No, SF3:TS was completely intact. Every stage has the 3 variations for the three rounds per fight.

I just double checked that. Both NTSC-U and NTSC-J are pretty much intact. I was recalling the NFO of Toodles 3 in 1 for 3rd Strike. Sorry I didnt clarify. In his info he states that he took out the other two music tracks per stage and just left the one. Though I believe he left in a few second and third stage tracks for the mix's.
gord

Post by gord »

I've always thought about (in horror) of the day my dreamcast disc drive dies and its always lead me to think that it would be a nice idea to be able to hook up some kind of external hard-drive (usb maybe? maybe not) and using some clever jiggery-pokery just re-direct any access to the disc drive back to the hard-drive (just replacing the c standard library calls perhaps?). in effect just running games from disk backups on a hard-drive.

has anyone heard of anything like this? i realise that by the time my dreamcast dies emulation should be up to scratch maybe, but it wouldn't compare to running it on a proper dreamcast.