arcade cabinet noob with a broken cab please help

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
AppleQueso

Re: arcade cabinet noob with a broken cab please help

Post by AppleQueso »

CRTGAMER wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Throw in a large 4:3 CRT Monitor or even a 4:3 LCD Monitor to fill in the glass?
Why would you do this when there's already a perfectly usable arcade monitor in the cab anyway? Frankly he'd be better off just interfacing it with an ArcadeVGA card or something.

Picture quality wise that monitor likely will blow the pants off of any other CRT monitor he could throw in there anyway.

If you're suggesting that he remove the monitor because it's vertically oriented, you do realize that vertical monitors are literally just horizontal monitors turned on their side, right? If he's going to pull the monitor out anyway, he can just as easily rotate it back to a horizontal position and put it back in.

The Galaga 3 Arcade monitor is "widescreen" so most Arcade games would be stretched to fill the screen if it were rotated. Its easier to obtain a larger inexpensive 4:3 VGA CRT from the Thrift Store. Maintain the correct aspect ratio for most Mame games and not invest too much money.

Dude, that is a 4:3 monitor. Rotated for vertical orientation. 16:9 CRT tubes didn't even exist back then. It's not "widescreen"
korn16ftl3
64-bit

Post by korn16ftl3 »

just so u all know i have not abandoned this thread i went to use the multmeter last night and the 9v battery was dead in it :-/ im going to end up waiting until fridayish when i have some $$ to get another battery to use it
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

korn16ftl3 wrote:just so u all know i have not abandoned this thread i went to use the multmeter last night and the 9v battery was dead in it :-/ im going to end up waiting until fridayish when i have some $$ to get another battery to use it

Awesome! Seems you located the problem and know how to fix it. Hopefully it works out for you.
korn16ftl3
64-bit

Post by korn16ftl3 »

Breetai wrote:
korn16ftl3 wrote:just so u all know i have not abandoned this thread i went to use the multmeter last night and the 9v battery was dead in it :-/ im going to end up waiting until fridayish when i have some $$ to get another battery to use it

Awesome! Seems you located the problem and know how to fix it. Hopefully it works out for you.

LOL ya the problem is in the problem finding tool gotta fix that before i can locate the actual issue :P
korn16ftl3
64-bit

Post by korn16ftl3 »

got it to turn on.....some one relocated the switch up inside the cab rather than on top of it.....the picture is horrid tho and NONE of the tube adjustments fix it or make it any better......im wondering if i could possibly be getting unclean power or something, either way the tube has burn ins on it and really ought to be changed.....where does some one find a tube for one of these things? lol
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

korn16ftl3 wrote:got it to turn on.....some one relocated the switch up inside the cab rather than on top of it.....the picture is horrid tho and NONE of the tube adjustments fix it or make it any better......im wondering if i could possibly be getting unclean power or something, either way the tube has burn ins on it and really ought to be changed.....where does some one find a tube for one of these things? lol

You probably just need to degausse (I don't know the spelling) the screen. http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=6926
If that doesn't fix it, or there really are heavy burn-ins, then yeah... you'll want a new monitor.

Also... the switches are usually inside the cabs. I think I mentioned that in the other thread where you first started talking about your new cab. Well, now you know. :)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Breetai wrote:Also... the switches are usually inside the cabs. I think I mentioned that in the other thread where you first started talking about your new cab. Well, now you know. :)

Guess those big Midway cabs are the exception then. Oh well.
korn16ftl3
64-bit

Post by korn16ftl3 »

Breetai wrote:
korn16ftl3 wrote:If that doesn't fix it, or there really are heavy burn-ins, then yeah... you'll want a new monitor.

Also... the switches are usually inside the cabs. I think I mentioned that in the other thread where you first started talking about your new cab. Well, now you know. :)

well the switch here was defiantly relocated as the only way i found it was reading the manual for the dynamo cabs, i found the hole on the top right for the switch but no switch (like every one was saying was there) ended up tracking and following wires around the cab because at that point in time i knew there had to be a switch some place.

any ways......what are my options for screen replacement? do i absolutely have to use an old tube? all the color outputs for the tube at least from what i can tell with the adjustment knobs are the same as the inputs for a VGA cord which is also located on the newer flat screen TV's. Would it be possible to just fit a flat panel tv to the JAMMA card by attaching a VGA cord to the JAMMA card outputs and connecting it to the newer flat panel TV?

by the way here is the manual i found or the dynamo cabs if any one is interested:
http://www.drzero.org/videogames/dynamo ... 0jamma.pdf
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

a newer TV probably wouldn't be very happy with the signal that the arcade board outputs

...plus the image would be turned on its side.
korn16ftl3
64-bit

Post by korn16ftl3 »

AppleQueso wrote:a newer TV probably wouldn't be very happy with the signal that the arcade board outputs

...plus the image would be turned on its side.

what determines the orientation of the picture? i have played PS1 and NES and such on the newer TV's i dont see too much of a difference.....and tracking down a tube seems like it would be such a pain in the ass from what i have been reading.

i have been reading about tube swaps here:
http://www.junknet.net/tube-swap-diy-part1

found a page with other various adapters here:
http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

oddly enough it lists galaga/gaplus to JAMMA converters.....but i see a standard JAMMA card plugged into my galaga3/gaplus board