My Super Mario Cart won't play???

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ziggy

Re: My Super Mario Cart won't play???

Post by Ziggy »

linkandzelda wrote:Do you suggest I cut this thing up and give it a go? I guess it also means cutting up the power cord of the one I'm currently using. But it's just cables that can be rewired right, nothing to lose?

Right, nothing to lose. Just make sure not to cut the wire close to any one end. Cut it more toward the middle, giving you more than enough wire to work with. And yes, you can always put it back and restore each power adapter if needed. Just pay attention to polarity (which wire is negative and which is positive) and you should be good.
linkandzelda

Post by linkandzelda »

Ziggy587 wrote:
linkandzelda wrote:Do you suggest I cut this thing up and give it a go? I guess it also means cutting up the power cord of the one I'm currently using. But it's just cables that can be rewired right, nothing to lose?

Right, nothing to lose. Just make sure not to cut the wire close to any one end. Cut it more toward the middle, giving you more than enough wire to work with. And yes, you can always put it back and restore each power adapter if needed. Just pay attention to polarity (which wire is negative and which is positive) and you should be good.

That polarity is something I'm worried about, especially with the SNES plug as it can fit both ways thanks to it being interchangeable. Oh, and that gave me an idea. I can just get a set of plugs and this one adapter can act as the Nomad and SNES one if needed. Anyway, I'm going for it now. Will report back on the results.

EDIT: I'm stuck, the wires inside the Sega adapter are white and yellow, and I have no idea which one is positive...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You need a voltage meter.
linkandzelda

Post by linkandzelda »

So, this makes no sense I don't think. I found a multi meter and learned that the white wire was positive. So I began to wire up the system and plugged it in and turned it on. The red light didn't go on, so I thought I broke it. Then I swapped it round the wires so the polarity was different, tried it, and still no red light. I thought it was most odd.

Put the old adapter back together and plugged it in, red light goes on. I checked the old adapter with a multimeter and it was giving out power as expected, so why didn't it work I don't understand... lol.

UPDATE: So, seems it was a false alarm as I did it again and it's now running off the Sega Genesis adapter through the step down converter. I thought great, until I tried Super Mario World, and it still refuses to play. Guess it wasn't the power after all. Now I'll try that cardboard cleaning method posted earlier.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just whatever you do, be very careful. When you're working with stuff like this, especially being plugged in, it's VERY easy to fry something. You're splicing wires together, make sure they're insulated from each other. If the negative and positive touch, even for a split second, you'll certainly fry something (most likely the power adapter). It's also a good idea to plug them into a surge protector when testing them with the multimeter. This way if you accidentally touch the negative and positive together, you'll just pop the surge protector and not the house circuit.

The best advice that can be given in these kinds of situations, take your time and don't rush. Check everything twice.

There's no markings on the back of the NTSC-U SNES that show polarity, but the official SNES power adapter does. The barrel plug that plugs into the SNES itself, the OUTSIDE part of it should be positive, and the inside pin should be negative. So make sure this is the polarity you have when testing stuff out. It's possible that the polarity doesn't matter (some times it doesn't!) but it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

The Sega power adapter that you tried using and didn't work, did you confirm with your meter that it actually outputs 10v? Also, if your meter can measure amps, you can check that too.

Outside of polarity and confirming that the power adapter is outputting the correct voltage, I don't know.
linkandzelda

Post by linkandzelda »

Ziggy587 wrote:Just whatever you do, be very careful. When you're working with stuff like this, especially being plugged in, it's VERY easy to fry something. You're splicing wires together, make sure they're insulated from each other. If the negative and positive touch, even for a split second, you'll certainly fry something (most likely the power adapter). It's also a good idea to plug them into a surge protector when testing them with the multimeter. This way if you accidentally touch the negative and positive together, you'll just pop the surge protector and not the house circuit.

The best advice that can be given in these kinds of situations, take your time and don't rush. Check everything twice.

There's no markings on the back of the NTSC-U SNES that show polarity, but the official SNES power adapter does. The barrel plug that plugs into the SNES itself, the OUTSIDE part of it should be positive, and the inside pin should be negative. So make sure this is the polarity you have when testing stuff out. It's possible that the polarity doesn't matter (some times it doesn't!) but it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

The Sega power adapter that you tried using and didn't work, did you confirm with your meter that it actually outputs 10v? Also, if your meter can measure amps, you can check that too.

Outside of polarity and confirming that the power adapter is outputting the correct voltage, I don't know.

Yes it definitely output over 10 volts, sometimes 12 actually. But yea, I updated the previous post with the current situation.
linkandzelda

Post by linkandzelda »

So I've tried cleaning the contacts of the SNES with a piece of card, as suggested previously and it didn't have any effect. I've cleaned the inside multiple times with compressed air, cart too. I've cleaned the cart connectors as well, and the console still refuses to play the game.

You know how sometimes you plug in a game and it gives a black screen? At least that means it knows there's a game in it. But with this, my TV still says "no signal" as if this game isn't even in the machine. I'm out of ideas now and really tempted to just buy another Super Mario World cart.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This is a weird situation. Correct me if I'm wrong. The SMW cart works perfectly fine in the clone console, but not at all in the official console. So one would assume the SMW cart works fine and has no problems. This would usually leave you to believe that there's something wrong with the SNES console, but you said other games work fine with it. And it's an NTSC-U SMW cart. Is that all right?