Phantasy Star 4, SCART to Component, 4 way switch issues!

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
treepop
24-bit

Phantasy Star 4, SCART to Component, 4 way switch issues!

Post by treepop »

Okay. I finally have my dream setup going. I have my genesis going through scart via this device http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XS ... 06_s00_i00 which then converts it component. I have no problems whatsoever with this setup on my Sony Trinitron CRT TV.

The problem comes in with this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WS ... 06_s00_i01

I since have added a ton of other consoles and needed to get that phillips switch to be able to play them all without having to keep changing cables.

All was fine until one day playing Phantasy Star 4 (one of my all time fav games). As you may know, if your character gets a critical hit, the screen flashes white real fast. When this happens my screen does this wobbly effect. I can't explain it, but this of wavy backwards C to the entire screen. Like When lightning strikes and you screen freaks out.

I can't understand why a flash of white would freak out the switch so badly. I know it's not the genesis, since it doesn't occur when directly plugged in. I also tried using the component cables that were going from the switch to the tv directly from the genesis to the tv and those had no problems either.

I have to assume this flash of white is like a huge power surge and is messing with the cheapo switch, but I am not 100% sure. I would REALLY love if someone could help me fix this. I really don't want to get another switch, because they are expensive and hard to find and I just bought this stupid switch.

Thanks so much!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Phantasy Star 4, SCART to Component, 4 way switch issues

Post by pierrot »

I actually just did the same thing with my Saturn recently, which has been filling my eyeballs with gorgeous visuals, the likes of which I've hardly seen before.

I know you're probably looking for more of a solution to your particular setup, but I grabbed this switcher: LINK
and so far it hasn't given me any issues. I don't know if the lack of S-video is a deal breaker for you though. Technically I have Phantasy Star IV in the sega ages collection to test your issue that way, but it's still sealed, so I haven't actually tried it yet. I could pick up some blank CDs and test it on a backup, though, if you are actually interested in the other switch-box.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Try out Sonic 3. More white places you'll probably see this effect. File select, Ice Cap snowboard area...

I have similar issues and think too strong of signal is to blame. Perhaps installing resistors in our SCART cables might work?
Lum fan.
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

@ pierrot Yeah I really need the svideo. I thought of putting component on another switch, but then I couldn't have all of my audio on the same set of speakers without needing to switch. Thanks for the offer!

@theclaw That resistor idea sounds promising. Can you point me to a resistor that I could buy? I really know nothing of resistors, so baby steps would be great :)

Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated.
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

Any tips for getting the right resistor without messing with optical quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

Anyone?

Thanks!
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

Post by SnowKitty »

theclaw wrote:Try out Sonic 3. More white places you'll probably see this effect. File select, Ice Cap snowboard area...

I have similar issues and think too strong of signal is to blame. Perhaps installing resistors in our SCART cables might work?

nahh, it's gotta be the switchbox. i had a similar issue with a remote controlled switchbox i was using. the picture would spazz out when the screen flashed white and stuff. the box probably thinks it's not getting signal or something like that.
need console mods or repairs? check my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37236
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

SnowKitty wrote:
theclaw wrote:Try out Sonic 3. More white places you'll probably see this effect. File select, Ice Cap snowboard area...

nahh, it's gotta be the switchbox. i had a similar issue with a remote controlled switchbox i was using. the picture would spazz out when the screen flashed white and stuff. the box probably thinks it's not getting signal or something like that.

Arg...Pretty frustrating...I guess I could just use svideo on my ps2...but that seems like a waste when I already have oh so sexy component cables...
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

SnowKitty wrote:

Relatively easy enough to compare with another console. Phantasy Star 4 had Saturn and PS2 editions in Japan.

Edit: Also the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection...
Lum fan.
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

Post by SnowKitty »

treepop wrote:
SnowKitty wrote:

Arg...Pretty frustrating...I guess I could just use svideo on my ps2...but that seems like a waste when I already have oh so sexy component cables...

it probably wont matter what you use, my switchbox spazzed out on both composite and component, it seemed to just hate it when the screen flashed white.
need console mods or repairs? check my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37236