Dreamcast SCART? Best setup for PVM?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ghudda
128-bit

Dreamcast SCART? Best setup for PVM?

Post by Ghudda »

So I have a Hanzo VGA box, and playing on a computer monitor is FINE, but I want to be able to play my Dreamcast on my PVM in RGB. I have a BNC > SCART adapter for my PVM and have been using SCART cables (JP pin-out) with all of my consoles. To my understanding, first party JP SCART cables don't exist.

If I bought Dreamcast EU SCART cable, would I just need to reconfigure the pins at the connector? Any other good options? I know that Beharius now makes a Dreamcast VGA box that also outputs SCART, but that's an $80 investment, and not worth it since I already have the Hanzo. Anyone here use their Dreamcast on a PVM?
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast SCART? Best setup for PVM?

Post by bmoc »

I use my Dreamcast with SCART but I have a very small library at the moment so I don't have it hooked up currently. I have never seen a JP SCART Dreamcast cable but then again I haven't looked very hard. I'd say you are correct that your best bet would be to rewire a Euro SCART cable. If you aren't comfortable doing that, you could buy an adapter. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/eur ... -converter
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Karat sold a Dreamcast RGB cable in Japan, it looks like.
http://poe74.at.webry.info/201108/article_5.html

Of course that begs the question of what one intends to gain by using JP cables with a PVM in the US, with Euro SCART easier to acquire. Several other consoles like Xbox and Genesis didn't have first party ones either.
Lum fan.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

theclaw wrote:Karat sold a Dreamcast RGB cable in Japan, it looks like.
http://poe74.at.webry.info/201108/article_5.html

Of course that begs the question of what one intends to gain by using JP cables with a PVM in the US, with Euro SCART easier to acquire. Several other consoles like Xbox and Genesis didn't have first party ones either.

Yeah, when I bought the BNC > SCART cable for my PVM, I just went with JP because I lacked really any knowledge of how SCART worked. So from then on, I just went with the JP pin layout for all of my cables. Is it going to be difficult for me to re arrange the pin layout when I get a EU SCART cable? Is it enough of a hassle to justify buying a conversion cable?
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

The only thing to watch out for (that I only recently learned) is that RGB scart can only handle 480i tops, so if you're trying to play 480p games, the VGA box is going to be better quality.

It's why everyone hawking RGB as the be all end all isn't quite true (for example, Dreamcast or PS2 where you want to use VGA or YPbPr respectively for the 480p games)

Video standards are annoying.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

KalessinDB wrote:The only thing to watch out for (that I only recently learned) is that RGB scart can only handle 480i tops, so if you're trying to play 480p games, the VGA box is going to be better quality.

It's why everyone hawking RGB as the be all end all isn't quite true (for example, Dreamcast or PS2 where you want to use VGA or YPbPr respectively for the 480p games)

Video standards are annoying.

Ugh, yeah the original Xbox has certainly been annoying when it comes to this. The effect of two images side by side freaked me out when I tried 480p for the first time on my PVM. It's like I need three TV's to have "muh optimal videos". Damn, I guess throw a monitor with VGA support in there for that VGA support. Now I know I have a Dreamcast S-Video cable around here somewhere...
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I don't bother with 3, I've got 2. My Wega for 480p and below (in my eyes and the eyes of many others out there YPbPr and RGB are indistinguishable, and I've modded an awful lot of older systems for YPbPr) and my LCD for 720p and above (and occasional below via Framemeister)

It's good enough for my turrible eyes. There comes a point where you need to say enough is enough, at least that's the way I see it.

Anyway I've derailed enough. Good luck with your Dreamcast quest! :D
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

I would go for VGA - RGB is lower quality, most games support 480p anyway, so why go for below 'native'?
Crynox
16-bit

Post by Crynox »

Dont be drawn into thinking that VGA is best.

I used to have my DC plugged into a Iyama 21in PC CRT via the VGA adaptor but since aquiring a Sony PVM 20M4E I have gone back to using the RGB Scart to BNC connectors as in my opinion it looks just as good if not not better especially on the 240P games.

I think it is all about what type of monitor you have ?

IMO RGB rules, (but then again Im from the UK where it was the standard on CRT`s).