Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
User avatar
cyborc
32-bit
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 am
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: Best Video Connections

by cyborc Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:55 am

Nice to see a fellow oklahoman on here :)

I used to use a scart to component converter just like this one when I had a regular tv:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-YUV-C ... 3362ac0577

I ended up getting a sony pvm monitor that had RGB inputs but they were BNC
so I ended up hacking a scart switcher like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-Switch-Switch ... 56424ccf44

by adding 3 female RCA jacks then I ran some regular RCA cables to my monitor and used some bnc>RCA adapters on the BNC inputs on the monitor:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

I used the composite out on the scart switcher for my sync line. on the sony PVM you can use composite video as sync can trisync monitors use composite video as sync too?

it was a big pain in the ass doing all of that but it was worth it because RGB looks amazing and is a noticeable improvement over s-video IMO.
Scooter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: Waverly, NE, USA

Re: Best Video Connections

by Scooter Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:19 am

thelolotov wrote:
Scooter wrote:Also, keep in mind that not all games will display video with component cables on a PS2. For example, Ico will not output video when the PS2 console is connected with component cables. I would suspect the same in true for other older PS2 games


Unless I hear someone else verify this, I'm just gonna go with CRTGamer on this, I have a PS2 with component cables, and I've never had an issue with any games. Might just be your TV man.


If it was my TV wouldn't I have trouble with video from all games? Nope, just checked it again, PS2 fat with component cables connected. Almost all games send video, Ico does not. I also found that Fear Effect (PS1 game) also does not send video. Audio comes through, video does not. On both games I get the PS1 or PS2 license screen, then a blank screen and the audio starts. The game is playing, just no video. No amount of adjusting the PS2 settings or TV settings get video from these games. Plenty of others work just fine, but not these two. Same exact set up, if I use an S-video cable both games work fine. I have this same issue with both of my HD TVs, both of which are different brands.
Ow! My small intestine!
User avatar
thelolotov
32-bit
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Best Video Connections

by thelolotov Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 am

CRTGAMER wrote:This list is really looking great, I'll add a link from my CRT vs LCD Guide if okay.

For PS1 US NTSC SVideo the best connection, RGB not very common here.


Yeah, I don't have any RGB inputs myself, so I'm considering changing them all back to Svideo for NTSC.

Edit: And I did, but I kept the info there and labeled it PAL.

Oh, and yes, that's perfectly fine, please do.


Scooter wrote:If it was my TV wouldn't I have trouble with video from all games? Nope, just checked it again, PS2 fat with component cables connected. Almost all games send video, Ico does not. I also found that Fear Effect (PS1 game) also does not send video. Audio comes through, video does not. On both games I get the PS1 or PS2 license screen, then a blank screen and the audio starts. The game is playing, just no video. No amount of adjusting the PS2 settings or TV settings get video from these games. Plenty of others work just fine, but not these two. Same exact set up, if I use an S-video cable both games work fine. I have this same issue with both of my HD TVs, both of which are different brands.


I'm not saying I don't believe you, but three other people say that they've never had that problem, I'll add Svideo as an alternative, like I did with DC and GC.

On a semi-related note, I am now very interested in RGB, would I notice a difference going from plain old YUV component, to RGB through a YUV transcoder?

EDIT: Or really RGB to any input I have, whatever would look the best, I have VGA as well, is there any sort of box that can convert RGB SoG to plain old VGA? Bonus points if it has a R/L to 3.5 mm adapter built in.
Image
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: Best Video Connections

by Hobie-wan Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am

Scooter wrote:Almost all games send video, Ico does not. I also found that Fear Effect (PS1 game) also does not send video. Audio comes through, video does not.


What model PS2? As stated, my 30001 works with Ico and I just checked my 35001 which is fine too with component.
User avatar
thelolotov
32-bit
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Best Video Connections

by thelolotov Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:16 am

Scooter wrote:Almost all games send video, Ico does not. I also found that Fear Effect (PS1 game) also does not send video. Audio comes through, video does not.


I just looked it up, ICO is a 240p game, have you tried any other PS1 games?
Image
User avatar
Shogun
32-bit
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:21 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Best Video Connections

by Shogun Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:52 am

cyborc wrote:Nice to see a fellow oklahoman on here :)

I used to use a scart to component converter just like this one when I had a regular tv:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-YUV-C ... 3362ac0577

I ended up getting a sony pvm monitor that had RGB inputs but they were BNC
so I ended up hacking a scart switcher like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-Switch-Switch ... 56424ccf44

by adding 3 female RCA jacks then I ran some regular RCA cables to my monitor and used some bnc>RCA adapters on the BNC inputs on the monitor:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

I used the composite out on the scart switcher for my sync line. on the sony PVM you can use composite video as sync can trisync monitors use composite video as sync too?

it was a big pain in the ass doing all of that but it was worth it because RGB looks amazing and is a noticeable improvement over s-video IMO.



Wow that does sound like a pain. The monitor I'm getting is similar to your PVM. Its a NEC XM2960. I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to wire everything up to it with the best possible cables for each system and I keep wanting to settle on S-video because of all the work involved.

I admit I am lost at RCA cables because aren't those a lower quality cable? Wouldn't there be signal degradation going RGB > RCA > RGB (via the BNC ports)?


Also for the component ps2 discussion I have always had my PS2 hooked up via component and every game has worked fine on it (including Ico). I have a 5000 series PS2 (fatty).
User avatar
thelolotov
32-bit
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Best Video Connections

by thelolotov Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 am

Shogun wrote:I admit I am lost at RCA cables because aren't those a lower quality cable? Wouldn't there be signal degradation going RGB > RCA > RGB (via the BNC ports)?


That's only for the sync information, the actual signal goes through RGB
Image
User avatar
cyborc
32-bit
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 am
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: Best Video Connections

by cyborc Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:19 am

as far as I can tell there is no degradation in picture quality. all of my consoles thru rgb look amazing. I used some good quality gold plated component cables for the r, g, and b lines since they were already color coded red green and blue.


I saw a thread on neo-geo.com where a guy was selling these scart breakout boards which have a scart input and outputs to bnc but he is sold out at the moment, though he will be making more at some point:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221634

edit: I should add that RCA cables and BNC cables are basically the same thing. Well, mostly. If you have a good quality 75 ohm rca cable and an equal quality 75 ohm bnc cable the only difference should be the connectors. I think BNC can do longer cable runs without degredation though.

but then again I could be completely wrong about all that :wink:
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Best Video Connections

by CRTGAMER Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am

Scooter wrote:If it was my TV wouldn't I have trouble with video from all games? Nope, just checked it again, PS2 fat with component cables connected. Almost all games send video, Ico does not. I also found that Fear Effect (PS1 game) also does not send video. Audio comes through, video does not. On both games I get the PS1 or PS2 license screen, then a blank screen and the audio starts. The game is playing, just no video. No amount of adjusting the PS2 settings or TV settings get video from these games. Plenty of others work just fine, but not these two. Same exact set up, if I use an S-video cable both games work fine. I have this same issue with both of my HD TVs, both of which are different brands.
Strange that ICO is giving so much problems with just the Component cables attached. The initial PS2 bootup screen is not 480p and if that shows then ICO should also work. A lot of PS2 games don't take advantage of the HD mode but still work fine thru the Component hookup.

Image

In the PS2 (not game) System Configuration, do you have the PS2 set to component?

What is the model number the PS2 and the model number of your TV?

List of PlayStation 2 games with HD support
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
Scooter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: Waverly, NE, USA

Re: Best Video Connections

by Scooter Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 am

The mystery continues.

The set up screen appears just fine. The component cable is set appropriately (besides, other games show video just fine).

PS2 model is 35001, on the PS2 set up screen it says the PS2 driver is 1.10. Maybe later drivers work better with component? I don't know of any way to update the driver.

I didn't try every game I have but I couldn't find any other games that didn't put out video with component attached. I'm using a MonsterCable component cable but I can't see how that would matter.

From the way the game boots up I can see the video reset after the license screen so the game or system is trying to set the video to a level that either the TVs I have can't interpret (hard to imagine, they can both go from 480i to 1080p and everything inbetween) or PS2 is failing at some point, but that seems unlikely since it works just fine with S-video. As I said before, no amount of adjustments on the PS2 (4:3, Full, 16:9) made a difference.

Numerous older and newer PS1 games work just fine as do numerous older and newer PS2 games. The few games that support HD look fantastic. But Ico doesn't even have HD built into it.
Last edited by Scooter on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ow! My small intestine!
Return to Technical Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest