Best Video Connections

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Scooter
Next-Gen

Re: Best Video Connections

Post by Scooter »

Oh, and it is possible to get S-video out of the Sega Genesis without mods using an external S-video box. I have one and it works great. It works like the hard to find XMD boxes that were sold in Japan. A guy who shows up on Sega-16 makes and sells them.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... hip&page=2
Ow! My small intestine!
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

Guys, I have a new issue, I noticed this on my PS2, and I just attributed it to a crappy cable, but then out of curiosity, I plugged the cable into my 360 (it's a universal component cable) and it looked fine. I plugged it into my PS3, thinking it was just a bad PS2/3 plug, and it looked fine, until I started up Silent Hill on a whim, and yep, sure enough. I then switched my PS3 back to HDMI, and it's still there, obviously an issue with my TV itself.

Can anyone tell me what this artifact/effect is called? And can somebody tell me how to deal with it? I'd prefer not to buy a new TV, and my price limit is about 80 dollars, would an HDBox Pro help?

Thanks!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

thelolotov wrote:Silent Hill

As in PS1 Silent Hill? The checkerboard dithering is normal. On a CRT that blurs into looking like more colors than are actually there or can create fake transparency effects. Look at some screenshots of PC games running in 16 bit color depth as opposed to 32 bit and you'll see the same thing.

Here's an example with Quake III on PC in 16 and 32 bit. Will probably need to save the pictures and zoom in to see the pattern. http://www.anandtech.com/show/735/5
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

Hobie-wan wrote:
thelolotov wrote:Silent Hill

As in PS1 Silent Hill? The checkerboard dithering is normal. On a CRT that blurs into looking like more colors than are actually there or can create fake transparency effects. Look at some screenshots of PC games running in 16 bit color depth as opposed to 32 bit and you'll see the same thing.

Here's an example with Quake III on PC in 16 and 32 bit. Will probably need to save the pictures and zoom in to see the pattern. http://www.anandtech.com/show/735/5

I had something else wrong with my PS2 games as well, but it seems to be gone now, maybe the component cable was loose?

Thanks, this is bizarre.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just expecting too much out of my PS2.
Segatari2002
24-bit

Post by Segatari2002 »

Here's a few more connections I didn't see on your list;

Atari 7800
Best non-modded solution: RF
Best modded solution: Svideo

NeoGeo AES
Best non-modded solution: composite
Best modded solution: component

NeoGeo CD
Best non-modded solution: Svideo
Best modded solution: ???
Currently owned; Colecovision, Master System, TG-16/CD, SNES, Genesis/CD Mk1/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar/CD, Xbox, Wii, and PS3!!!

Dreamcast Tracker; 209 of 248 NTSC-U games collected.

My B/S/T Thread; viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31756

Also, if anyone has the case art for Popful Mail (Sega CD), I'd like to speak with you!
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Famicom
Non modded - RF
Modded - Composite

AV Famicom
Non modded - Composite
Modded - Composite

note: RGB is possible with an extreme mod (replacing the video chip!), but this creates compatibility issues in some games. In other words, the Famicom will LOSE functionality. Not a good mod.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

how is VGA better than component? Is the Wii outputting 480p either way?
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

Jamisonia wrote:how is VGA better than component? Is the Wii outputting 480p either way?

VGA has RGB separated out into individual wires, with separate sync information, component crams all of the above into 3 wires.

If anyone disagrees with me, please don't hesitate to say so.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Anyone use of (vga) converters for consoles. I don't have s-video on my hd tv :( I do have fios but that doesn't help. recommendations for n64, ps1, and genesis for an hd tv?
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

benderx wrote:Anyone use of (vga) converters for consoles. I don't have s-video on my hd tv :( I do have fios but that doesn't help. recommendations for n64, ps1, and genesis for an hd tv?

For $32 this might do what you want - it's a bit blurry on the 480i stuff, and the deinterlacer isn't perfect, but it's also not $200:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28534
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage