Best Video Connections

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
benderx
Next-Gen

Re: Best Video Connections

Post by benderx »

Anapan wrote:
benderx wrote:Anyone use of (vga) converters for consoles. I don't have s-video on my hd tv :( I do have fios but that doesn't help. recommendations for n64, ps1, and genesis for an hd tv?

For $32 this might do what you want - it's a bit blurry on the 480i stuff, and the deinterlacer isn't perfect, but it's also not $200:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28534

thank you im looking into it in cheap up to $45 is my limit.
Last edited by benderx on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I can take some pictures of it's output if you want to see what it does. It's close to the picture of Silent Hill earlier in this thread. The whites are a little grainy, and depending on the source it leaves thin black bars on the sides of the screen. Still, it's the probably best you'll get in your price range.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Hateshinai
128-bit

Post by Hateshinai »

PAL N64s cannot be modded to output RGB. It only works on some NTSC ones. I heard rumours that some early french N64s were moddable but nothing concrete.
Mostly harmless
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

its okay if you want to, but I'm going to wait a month. The only thing I hate is scan lines on a tv. At the moment I'm kinda angry because my ebaypackage hasn't arrived yet, I might make a complaint (scam) if becomes serious by end of this week.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

benderx wrote:Anyone use of (vga) converters for consoles. I don't have s-video on my hd tv :( I do have fios but that doesn't help. recommendations for n64, ps1, and genesis for an hd tv?

You might have already considered this, or have some reason you want to use your PS1, but why not get a PS2? They can output component, and are pretty cheap these days.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Scooter wrote:Oh, and it is possible to get S-video out of the Sega Genesis without mods using an external S-video box. I have one and it works great. It works like the hard to find XMD boxes that were sold in Japan. A guy who shows up on Sega-16 makes and sells them.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... hip&page=2

Is this how you'd set it up for a Saturn as well?
XxBroBuzzxX
32-bit

Post by XxBroBuzzxX »

Quick question that's gonna sound stupid: Will a PS2 component cable work on my non-HD CRT? I just wanna be 100% sure it'll work before I buy it. :P
(Here's the cables I'm looking into buying: Link)
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

XxBroBuzzxX wrote:Quick question that's gonna sound stupid: Will a PS2 component cable work on my non-HD CRT? I just wanna be 100% sure it'll work before I buy it. :P
(Here's the cables I'm looking into buying: Link)

If your CRT has component inputs, yes.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

thelolotov wrote:Playstation 2
    Best non-modded solution: VGA via SoG/Blaze/Xploder bootdisk for games that can be forced into 480p
    NTSC Second best non-modded solution: Component
    NTSC Third best non-modded solution: Svideo
    PAL Second best non-modded solution: RGB
    Best modded solution: Universal VGA cable
I have the Blaze Xploder. It will go up to 1080i, but with poor screen stretch results. It does kick up 480i games but a mixed bag. At Blaze boot disc 480p setting, even the normally 480p games are slightly shifted off center. The best image for 480p supported games is sticking with the game setting itself without the Blaze bootup disc.

The list has Component cables as a second best non modded connection, it should be first with the Blaze software as an after thought. For Blaze to work, either the VGA mod or COMPONENT cables are needed.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

CRTGAMER wrote:
thelolotov wrote:Playstation 2
    Best non-modded solution: VGA via SoG/Blaze/Xploder bootdisk for games that can be forced into 480p
    NTSC Second best non-modded solution: Component
    NTSC Third best non-modded solution: Svideo
    PAL Second best non-modded solution: RGB
    Best modded solution: Universal VGA cable
I have the Blaze Xploder. It will go up to 1080i, but with poor screen stretch results. It does kick up 480i games but a mixed bag. At Blaze boot disc 480p setting, even the normally 480p games are slightly shifted off center. The best image for 480p supported games is sticking with the game setting itself without the Blaze bootup disc.

The list has Component cables as a second best non modded connection, it should be first with the Blaze software as an after thought. For Blaze to work, either the VGA mod or COMPONENT cables are needed.

Life is really hectic right now, I barely had time to read this post, but thanks for the info, I'll try to remember to update the guide when I get home tomorrow! Feel free to drop me a PM if I forget.