Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Re: Hook ups and consloe set up

by ChuChu Flamingo Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am

But also keep in mind XRGB3 is not without problems. I don't like the shaky sync, which can be massively reduced with low pass filter, but bluring results. I also don't like the fact that if you use anything other than Dterminal1, more noise will be created.

In any case, im looking forward to the Flame Meister. Only complaint with DVDO Edge I have is of course the ringing, and neo geo aes vertical lines when scrolling. Currently talking to DVDO Edge to see if they can fix the issue.
sv650touring
16-bit

by sv650touring Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Isn't the Flame Meister going to be several hundred dollars?

Those Belfan SCART -> HDMI adapters are $50-60. Is their performance really bad? Google isn't giving me anything.
pureevil
64-bit

by pureevil Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:35 pm

SGGG2 wrote:Those receivers are optimized for scaling video *not* graphics, the image won't be nearly as sharp as an XRGB-3...

The DVDO edge is nice as well, but it has ringing artifacts with 240p signals. Would bother me but not some folks. There's a new XRGB-mini coming out this spring, it's going to be cheaper that the 3 -- the 3 is really aimed at people who want to use old consoles with computer monitors, the mini's for people who want to use them with HDTV's via HMDI with minimal hassle. I'd wait and see, it won't be too long now.

what sort of price do you think?
GOT,ps2 chiped,,game cube sliver,x box,dream cast,n 64,ps2 slim,ps2 slim,game boy sp X2 tribal and black,game gear,saturn(no tv lead),xbox 360,xbox 360 chipped,snes.master system 1and 2.

HAD BACK IN THE DAY vic 20,sega master system,nes,mega drive,super nes,atari st,amiga 500+,ps1,gameboy advance.
pureevil
64-bit

by pureevil Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

just spent £450 on tv don't want to spend to much more.
GOT,ps2 chiped,,game cube sliver,x box,dream cast,n 64,ps2 slim,ps2 slim,game boy sp X2 tribal and black,game gear,saturn(no tv lead),xbox 360,xbox 360 chipped,snes.master system 1and 2.

HAD BACK IN THE DAY vic 20,sega master system,nes,mega drive,super nes,atari st,amiga 500+,ps1,gameboy advance.
SGGG2
24-bit

by SGGG2 Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 am

Micomsoft hasn't announced a price for the XRGB "Frame Meister", but my guess it'll be two or three hundred. I imagine most of the quirks of the XRGB3 will be fixed with this model. If you're on a budget just get a RGB SCART to component adapter like the CSY-2100 and an one of the many HD Box Pro clones by Lenkeng or Monoprice. This way you'll be able upscale 240p RGB and 480i/480p component. If your tv does a good job with 480p just get the Coosis SCART to HDMI scaler or one of the clones.

Probably the best "all around" set up for most users right now would be DVDO Edge, HDFury (to convert the edge's HDMI output to VGA), and SLG3000 (Scanline any 480p VGA signal). The SLG3000 covers up the ringing of the Edge very well and there's none of the shaky vertical sync of the XRGB-3. This way you have great 480p upscaling, 480i deinterlacing and 240p "CRT emulation".
Last edited by SGGG2 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGGG2
24-bit

by SGGG2 Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:But also keep in mind XRGB3 is not without problems. I don't like the shaky sync, which can be massively reduced with low pass filter, but bluring results. I also don't like the fact that if you use anything other than Dterminal1, more noise will be created.

If you chain the XSelect before the XRGB the noise problems go away. They are no longer made though and command high prices used. The shaky vertical sync can be a pain, it depends on your set up, really. The blurring caused by turning the LPF is very minor, and keep in mind B0 mode has none of these problems. it's sharp and solid with pixel-perfect scaling, although no scanlines. Compatibility with HDTV's is kinda poor, but most computer monitors are fine. For most users I'd probably recommend the DVDO Edge.
pureevil
64-bit

by pureevil Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 am

Alot of this is going way over my head seems complex and expensive.

SGGG2
24-bit

by SGGG2 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:43 pm

All the answers you seek are in the following pages, but you'll have to spend time with them and then come back to us with questions.

http://www.benpekarek.com/video_games_i ... ition.html

http://www.videogameperfection.com/dvdo-edge-faq.php

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 am

SGGG2 wrote:All the answers you seek are in the following pages, but you'll have to spend time with them and then come back to us with questions.

http://www.benpekarek.com/video_games_i ... ition.html

http://www.videogameperfection.com/dvdo-edge-faq.php

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Wow that first article was one of the best I've ever read on the subject. He really hits the nail on the head with this:

The real goal here is to breakdown a culture clash in consumer technology. The active participants in gaming, as consumers, are restricted based on their limited level of knowledge on such topics. As such, their ties to the past are being severed due to the meteoric rise of new technology markets. In fact, if given the chance, your average marketing suit would climb through your window in the middle of the night and set fire to all of your old technology, simply so they could re-package it and sell it to you again via a download service that is facilitated by yet another multi-hundred dollar platform expenditure.

I have been reading up about this for quite a while now (I'm very familiar with the hazard-city.de articles)and have come to the conclusion that nothing out right now beats a CRT. For my own personal setup my PS2 hooked up via composite looks better on my CRT than it does hooked up via component (480i) on my hdtv.

Now for the part where I get crazy looks for people....I think HDTV is a complete scam. Nothing was wrong with CRTs other than the weight and maybe you could argue the waste. The only thing positive to come out of HDTVs is the resolution and you know what...I could get those resolutions out of a PC monitor back in the 90's. So why are we dumping everything in the garbage and buying into the thinner is better when there are so many things being sacrificed in the pursuit for the ultimate thin device? Why is this even important to people? Does it really matter if your tv is 1/4" thick instead of 1/2"?

It saddens me to see the past being shed so easily and I can't help but think that the quality is going downhill because of it. I think 2D games should still be made to this day. I sit around and wonder why isn't anyone making modern 2D games but utilizing the more powerful graphics in the new consoles? I intend to keep multiple high end CRT televisions in my house and when I get my NEC XM29 in a few weeks here I'm going to try and have it replace my HDTV. The only thing I use in an HD resolution is the PS3 via component cables. HDMI can kiss my ass but that is another topic. :lol:
SGGG2
24-bit

by SGGG2 Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, the fact is CRT's are only of interest to retro gamers, for everyone else a flat panel is hands down better. They're much bigger and lighter, and people generally prefer to watch movies on big screens. B1 (scaling) mode on the XRGB looks fantastic on large screens at 1080p. And, with the advent of the SLG3000 (scan line generator) you can get a very CRT~ish image on full HD screens:

PS3 Component @ 480p > XSelect > SLG3000 > 1080p ASUS LCD

I had a 32" Samsung Dynaflat HD CRT and the picture was unbelievable for 480i games -- 480p looked exactly the same even. Super sharp, clear with gorgeous saturated colors. I'll eventually pick up some kind of production monitor. HDMI provides more detail, color and sharpness than component at the same resolution...
Return to Technical Help