AC Adapter Compilation

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: AC Adapter Compilation

Post by CRTGAMER »

jfe2 wrote:Just found this thread! Hurray for me!

Anway, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Atari Lynx's AC adapter. I have a ton of different A/C adapters, so I figured I should check to see if any of those are compatible before I spend $20 on one from eBay.

Add up the batteries.

1.5 volt multiplied by 6 batteries = 9 Volt requirement.

Here is a FAQ (1 AMP / 9 Volt)
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/video-games/atari/lynx/
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Riqz85
64-bit

Post by Riqz85 »

After reading this i need confirmation... So I can actually use a EUR Snes adapter on my Megadrive model 1??
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Hobie-wan wrote:NES Model 1 US
9v AC, 1.3A
Note this is AC. The NES steps the power to 5v DC internally and pretty much any 5-9v DC with a plug that fits will work as long as it provides enough amperage. This is why you should never use an official NES power brick with anything else as it will fry, but a Genesis brick will work fine on a NES.

Oh good I was worried I might be harming my NES using my Genesis brick on it.
Riqz85
64-bit

Post by Riqz85 »

Btw... my mega drive pal works with my game gear adapter pal
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Riqz85 wrote:After reading this i need confirmation... So I can actually use a EUR Snes adapter on my Megadrive model 1??

What are the specs of the two power bricks? What voltage, mA, and polarity?
Riqz85
64-bit

Post by Riqz85 »

The original PAL mega drive brick is 10V 850mA
The Original PAL Game Gear brick is 9V 1A.

I am getting some weird lines flickering on screen (like static but transparent) but i think it's because of the crappy RF cable (will change soon).
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

The original poster hasn't been here since January 30th. How about I make a new post collecting the info (and giving credit for ones I didn't do) when I have some time? Maybe I'll see about taking pictures too. That way it can be the first post of the thread and possibly a sticky? If it isn't deemed sticky worthy, I'll keep it in my sig.

Thoughts?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I think a Mod's call and a courtesy PM to ClaymoreClay? To keep the idea present title and avoiding a duplicate similar thread. Perhaps a new post so your huge list is the OP then maybe a merge of this thread to it?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

A bump because even after reading this thread I'm not sure what I'm doing (I understand the voltage and amage stuff, but all this positive/negative/alternating current stuff is confusing me.

Anyhow, I want to get a plug to power my PAL Game gear, but I'm presuming one of the ones I already own will work fine. They're all at home though, so I need some help to quickly figure out which one my girlfriend should bring back with her when she comes back to uni on monday. I have access to a PAL master System (model 2) and PAL mega drive (model 2) and I presume one of those adapters will work? I also have access to most other major consoles in PAL too if for some crazy reason it turns out my NES adapter will work best or something.

Also, thought I'd do a courtest bump to point out that Hobies plan to make this a more permanent guide topic on a new post never happened, but I'd like to see it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Argh, I keep forgetting to come back and make it into a guide.

In any case, look at the back of your GG. It should have something that specifies the voltage, polarity, and amperage. The wall spits out Alternating current wish has no polarity since the power flips directions back and forth. A US NES power brick puts out AC and I think some random old devices have bricks that do it too, but pretty much everything has a brick that spits out DC. Direct current goes in one direction, so it has a + and - side and most of the time the tip or hole in the end of the part that connects to your system is negative and the outer larger surface of it will be positive. This is the negative center and positive outside symbol you'll see on power bricks and the power information panel on devices.

So if the back of the GG says 9V DC 850mA with a +(•- then you need a brick with the same sized plug that has matching info printed on it. The mA/A bit can be higher on the brick than the device but everything else should match.