Dreamcast resetting itself.

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Balasubbie
128-bit

Dreamcast resetting itself.

Post by Balasubbie »

Hi, picked up a Dreamcast yesterday and it plays fine, then decides to randomly reboot, sometimes it'll reload the game and all will be fine, and sometimes it gets stuck in this infinite loop of resets that're only remedied by a power off. It's playing retail and copies fine until the aforementioned reset. Now, I know of the pin cleaning fix, but I only just bought it and am reluctant to invalidate any kind of warranty I may have with the store if it's not a depenable fix. Is it? And if not, is there any other means of sorting this?

Thank you for your help,
Ger.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast resetting itself.

Post by emwearz »

Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

Yeah cheers, I know of that though. I was more in neighbourhood of see who's done it and how dependable it may and what else may be do-able.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

If you do it, I'd clean the pins with an alcohol dampened (not dripping wet) paper towel as well since bending them with your thumb is going to get oil on them and the issue might have been a little surface corrosion in the first place.
Lost Monkey

Post by Lost Monkey »

It sounds like it could be the lid switch too.

I have one system with a bad lid switch and when I have to use it, I do this:

Try putting an object that is heavy enough to keep the lid down without closing it all the way (i.e. the lid doesn't click closed) and see if you can play any longer like that. I usually use a couple of jewel cases...

This doesn't fix anything, but it will confirm the issue... in which case, you will probably want to return it if you can.