VirtualFX 3D TV Converter... does it work?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: VirtualFX 3D TV Converter... does it work?

Post by REPO Man »

So... I've bought one recently and I'm set to receive it tomorrow.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Hmm, keep us posted!

I'm interested, but not all that expectant of a $60 box.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

REPO Man wrote:So... I've bought one recently and I'm set to receive it tomorrow.
Late to the party, sorry I didn't throw this in earlier. I saw a similar one displayed at Frys a year or two ago. The 3D didn't seem that great especially now in light of the 3D HDs. There was no lag but just getting accustomed to the screen, which I didn't care for. In honesty don't like the 3D HDs either.

But not too bad an investment if it works out. Please a full review with pics and if possible test on both LCD and CRT monitors.

EDIT
After looking at the link, turns out this is only for CRT TVs not LCD or VGA monitors. The one I saw at Frys was made for a PC and VGA monitor. Since this is a direct plug in from your DVD player or Game Console there shouldn't be any driver lag. I'm not optimistic how well this will work since the games or DVDs don't have coding as in a specialized 3D movie. But again, please a review.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:For robots, not sure. For humans, it probably does.

And if an alien is reading this, I'm pretty sure it wont work on you. Especially the Tralfamadorians who already see in 4 dimensions. (Whoever gets the reference gets a gold star and a cookie)

Vonnegut FTW!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I wish I had seen this thread back before you spent money. You might have some fun with the thing, but it's just a novelty.

If the shutter glasses work properly, this thing should give you a 3D image. The problem is, I can tell you now that the 3D settings will be only spatially-based rather than actually based upon the depth things should be on the screen. By that I mean that it will basically just warp your image based upon where things are onscreen. Depending on the setting, it looks like it can be configured a few different ways. One setting looks like it makes things closer to the top of the screen look further away. This is probably the "talk show" style setting. Another looks like it makes things in the center of the screen look further away, while around the sides looks nearer. I think I also saw one in the youtube demo that made the middle of the screen look closer to you, while the sides were further away. You can see this due to the stereo disparity shown in the youtube video.

So, you will get a 3D effect, but it's kind of like those old color overlays for black and white television sets, where the top part of the overlay was blue for sky and the bottom was green or brown for the ground. I'm having a hard time finding a good description, but look halfway down this page:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/Hoax ... _Color_TV/

Important quote:

Some of these color screens reportedly were divided into three tinted horizontal panels. The top panel was tinted blue, for the sky, the middle panel was transparent, and the bottom panel green, for grass. The viewer had to hope that the transmission and the color bars occasionally matched.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Hmm, keep us posted!

If only it had cost $300, then they'd have your money!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Limewater wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Hmm, keep us posted!

If only it had cost $300, then they'd have your money!

If only it was few hundred more and I'd just buy a new TV.

You're thinking way too small for a videophile man, big obscure companies and insane names have to come to the forefront. 8)

*Hugs Acoustic Research speakers*
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

*Bump*

I just came back from Best Buy and trying out MLB 11: The Show in 3D and it completely blew my mind! So I will now be considering a 3D-compatible HDTV when the time to buy a new tv comes.

In the meantime though, I would like to try this cheaper option out and see if it does anything for racing, fighting, and first-person shooter games on my PS2 and Xbox. Some reviewers have said online that the 3D effect is actually quite good for video games. So I'm wondering what games like Halo, Gran Turismo, and the 3D Mortal Kombat games would look like on my CRT.

For $60-$80, I think it might be worth checking out. Anyone have more info?
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:For $60-$80, I think it might be worth checking out. Anyone have more info?

Read my earlier post on this thread about how these things work. Yes, you can get a "3D" effect out of it, but the 3D won't actually be in response to the distance things should be from you. You'll only be able to set it so that things in the middle of the screen look further away from you, or things closer to the bottom look closer to you.