Mega-CD Slow Disc Tray, PSU Under Powered...

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
PureChaosX

Mega-CD Slow Disc Tray, PSU Under Powered...

Post by PureChaosX »

I recently purchased a 3-in-1 PSU for the Model 1 Mega Drive, Mega-CD and 32X, so all 3 can be powered by a single PSU.
https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collecti ... ega-cd-32x

The PSU is rated at 9v 3a, the original Mega Drive/CD PSU is rated at 10v 1.2a... not sure about the 32X PSU though.

When I first got the PSU, I only went so far as to test everything powered up, which it did. I only recently tried to play a Mega-CD game. I opened the disc tray and noticed it was opening very slowly. I was a little confused as the last time I used it, the tray opened fine. It was also slow at closing, and would struggle to pull the tray in all the way for disc to start spinning.

Out of curiosity, I tried the original PSU in the Mega-CD and the 3-in-1 in the Mega Drive. The disc tray opened and closed fine and the disc was able to spin. Next, I swapped PSUs around. The 3-in-1 in the Mega-CD and the original in the Mega Drive. The disc tray was again slow to open and close.

So this 3-in-1 PSU is definitely the culprit, and seems to be underpowered to run the Mega-CD properly. FYI.. I have contacted the seller, but haven't heard back as of yet.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is the rating on the 3-in-1 PSU too low? It's only out by a single volt, and the amps should be enough (apparently) for all 3 devices at the same time (I don't have a 32X yet). Or is there possibly a component on the Mega-CD mainboard causing this effect on the disc tray when used with a third-party PSU?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Last edited by PureChaosX on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marurun

Re: Mega-CD Slow Disc Tray, PSU Under Powered...

Post by marurun »

Did you pick the correct adapter for your MD model? MD+CD is 3A, but MD2+CD is only 2A. If you chose the 2A PSU and your system wants to draw more than 2A, that could be the issue.

EDIT: For some reason you only linked to the 2-way adapter, not the 3-way. I find it odd both 3-way models provide only 3A. But on review of the power requirements of the various MD components, it looks like the systems remain just under 3A total power requirements. You may want to test to see how much power is actually being provided.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PureChaosX

Post by PureChaosX »

Oops, added correct link for future readers.

Yes, definitely picked the correct PSU. Markings on the PSU state Output 9V 3000mA, so definitely correct.. and definitely should be able to handle the Mega Drive and Mega-CD both at the same time... I presume.

Test the amount of power being provided? Nerts... I don't have a multimeter to hand, will have to find one and have a look.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

PureChaosX wrote:Oops, added correct link for future readers.

Yes, definitely picked the correct PSU. Markings on the PSU state Output 9V 3000mA, so definitely correct.. and definitely should be able to handle the Mega Drive and Mega-CD both at the same time... I presume.

Test the amount of power being provided? Nerts... I don't have a multimeter to hand, will have to find one and have a look.

I don't think it can be a Power related issue , I use a Modified PS2 Slim PSU , and power all three consoles + Cd + 32x from that and it works just fine.