PS2 Slim grinding noise and disc read errors?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

PS2 Slim grinding noise and disc read errors?

Post by Xeogred »

Exactly what my PS2 is doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2gR3gKFrQ

Has anyone else had this problem? I've had the disc read errors before and cleaning off the lens did the job. But this seems like a more complicated issue now. I'm not even sure how to open up the slim.

My slim is a SCPH-77001. Were there better models to look out for? This thing is junk. Shame you can't still buy them new for retail.

It's puzzling that CD/PSX games don't trigger this.
Ziggy

Re: PS2 Slim grinding noise and disc read errors?

Post by Ziggy »

My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that the lens can't focus on the disc so that's the sound of the worm gear moving VERY slowly while the lens is trying to focus, being that is seems smooth as butter with no disc. It's very interesting that it can read PS1 games but not PS2. Can you play a DVD movie?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Just tried a movie... worked right away.

So I just tried one of the DVD games that wasn't working yesterday... worked right away.

:lol:

I'll admit all I did yesterday was take a qtip to the lens, no alcohol or anything. Maybe I should do that? Think that's what I did years back when I first had this issue. I just hate how finicky this thing seems to be now. A ticking time bomb! I'll have to test it out tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone have any recommendations on PS2 memory cards? Sucks the official ones are expensive now. But I guess there's some huge third party 128mb cards. Lots of brands to sift through though.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just bought a couple of cards last year... They seemed pretty cheap. Did the price go up on them?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Maybe I heard wrong! This price doesn't seem bad:
http://a.co/5NTM4vt

I can't remember how much they retailed, but that seems cheap to me. Thought I was hearing they go for a lot more than that.

Looks like the last time I ordered one was August 2013 for $10.99.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's back to being really picky again. :cry:

Even applied some actual cleaner to the lens now. CD games work. Some DVD games work. Some don't.

I'm just going to try and get a 9000 model sometime.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sounds like you're running retail disc but keep in mind FMCB soft mod won't work on 9000 model.

Likely more relevant, FMBC USB and/or SMB loading games might save your correct model.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

We tend to only think of other modes of running games when we think of FMCB, but don't forget that it can do other things as well. Perhaps the homebrew available for the PS2 isn't as useful today since we have newer consoles and whatnot, but there's still some useful things. Like being able backup and restore memory card saves with a USB stick.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:We tend to only think of other modes of running games when we think of FMCB, but don't forget that it can do other things as well. Perhaps the homebrew available for the PS2 isn't as useful today since we have newer consoles and whatnot, but there's still some useful things. Like being able backup and restore memory card saves with a USB stick.

... And you just reminded me I need to back up my last year's worth of PS1 & PS2 saves. Always creating more projects for me :lol:. Will get PS2 Doom up soon.

In all seriousness, I was VERY surprised at how legit PGEN (Genesis) & the GB emulators were.

Also, GSM within OPL now for forcing progressive scan.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I used a converter to get all my PSX saves onto my PS3, so that's nice. No need to use the PS2 for PSX gaming ever again.

I've been thinking of buying one of those third party 128mb PS2 memory cards for backing up. I have two and just got a new one, all official 8mb releases. Maybe can't hurt to try out one of those huge 128mb ones though.

I'll think about modding out this current PS2, don't want to deal with it right away though. I just want to get a new one now and hit up some games. lol