Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

Re: Nominate The Best Old-School Games of 2008

by AwesomeMonstar Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:04 am

GSZX1337 wrote:Castle Crashers

seconded. mostly because it's an original title that retains the type of features us retro enthusiasts love. Difficulty, easy to start harder to master, style, simple. etc.
I guess geometry wars 2 was quite snazzy as well, though I almost feel like it's a lie to call it old school when it looks like it does.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
executioner
Next-Gen

by executioner Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:37 am

Haven't played much of them but would vote for:
megaman 9
chrono trigger ds
world of goo

And second that vote on strong bad's cool game for attractive people, its is very funny since i used to watch his videos way back.
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:49 pm

AwesomeMonstar wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Castle Crashers

seconded. mostly because it's an original title that retains the type of features us retro enthusiasts love. Difficulty, easy to start harder to master, style, simple. etc.
I guess geometry wars 2 was quite snazzy as well, though I almost feel like it's a lie to call it old school when it looks like it does.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with Castle Crashers, even without the online. Hate the save system though, but that's irrelevant to most people.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 am

My vote has to go to;

Ketsui: Death Label (DS) - I just got it this week and have been playing it non-stop, this is exactly what I wanted out of a portable bullet hell shooter - Arika have really done themselves and CAVE proud with this port, even if it is just boss-rush.

Other Honourable Mentions;

Bionic Commando Rearmed (PSN/XBLA) - a perfect HD update of the classic Bionic Commando, Capcom did an awesome job updating this title and I personally hope we see more retro re-makes in this vein, and less like Megaman 9.

Dark Mist: The Depths of Darkness (PSN) - while Dark Mist launched in 2007, with the JP only expansion pack released this year Dark Mist has become one of the best games on PSN, successfully mixing classic dungeon-crawling with arena-shooter gameplay and basic Zelda-style puzzles.

GTI Club+ Rally Cote D'Azur (PSN) - one of my favourite arcade games of all-time has finally made it home to consoles, it may be a bit light on content but it's arcade perfect and has awesome online support.

Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer (PSN) - seems like it's been years since i've played a new hori-shooter (infact, the last one must've been Border Down about 4 years ago) but Soldner-X is a great addition to the genre, plus it seems like the PS3 version has made some real improvements compared to the PC one.

Soul Bubbles (DS) - A beautiful & unique 2d adventure game that makes great use of the stylus to provide an innovative gameplay experience that manages to remain definantly retro.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am

Wings of Fury 2 and Space Invaders Extreme.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm surprised someone also voted for Ketsui DL aside from me, although I guess I shouldn't be.

What makes it number one for me is that it actually makes me want to use a handheld, which is an enormous feat in the first place. In addition, it is the ONLY original portable shooter that isn't shit. EVER. (okay I haven't played Gradius Galaxies, but I don't like Gradius anyway)

And what an incredible achievement, getting it right on the first try! It is rock-solid, has enough difficulty levels for nearly everyone, is faithful yet fresh compared to the full game, awesome stat-tracking, galleries and fun unlockables, everything about it just blows me away. Arika occasionally stuns me.

Bootaaay, post your scores over at the shmups forum and show them who's boss!
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I'll definetly post my scores once i'm a bit better :lol:, currently i'm struggling to clear Hard C & Very Hard and my scores on Normal to Hard B aren't into 9-digit figures yet. Is there any sort of chaining guide available?
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
ZereoX
8-bit

by ZereoX Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 pm

I would like to Nominate:
Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles for Sega Dreamcast Released on November 1st 2008.
There is also a GP32X Version and a Demo for the Dreamcast Version.
http://www.wind-water.net/

Ack wrote:Anybody know of any other groups doing similar projects?

There is 5:
YuansWorks -Creator of Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles (Dreamcast, Puzzle). Their currently making a new Dreamcast game called "Little Ninja".
http://dev.yuanworks.com/

Super Fighter Team -Creator of Beggar Prince (Genesis, RPG). Their currently making a new Genesis game called "Legend of Wukong".
http://www.legendofwukong.com/

CrypticAllusion -Creator of Feet or Fury (Dreamcast, Musical). Their currently making a new Dreamcast game called "Donk: Samurai Duck"
http://www.cagames.com

NG:DEV.TEAM -Creator of Last Hope (Dreamcast, Shump). Their currently making a new Dreamcast game called "Dux"
http://www.blog.hucast.net/

SenileTeam -Creator of Best of Rage (PC, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GP32, Beat'em Up). Their currently making a Dreamcast game called "Rush Rush Rally Racing"
http://www.senileteam.com/rushrushrallyracing.html
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

by Doctor Fugue Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:47 am

Bootaaay wrote:Is there any sort of chaining guide available?

PM sent with my own personal guide. Cheers.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

by TheyCallMeTheSwede Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 pm

I gotta give it all to Capcom this year, so I nominated

Mega Man 9
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (that's a mouthful)
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever