Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Recipes... share them

by fastbilly1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

The issue with the cauldron is that I need a good flat place to build a holder for it. It is too big and old for a tripod, so the best I can imagine is that I need to build a rock structure it can stand on and dig down a bit so we can build a fire under it. Its about 3/4 this size, and does not have legs:

Needless to say, we are doing alot of planning before bringing it up.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

What would you make in that?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:The issue with the cauldron is that I need a good flat place to build a holder for it. It is too big and old for a tripod, so the best I can imagine is that I need to build a rock structure it can stand on and dig down a bit so we can build a fire under it. Its about 3/4 this size, and does not have legs:

Eh, I'm sure some place that does welding would knock something together.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Stark, usually one of three things: Gumbo, Chili, or Brunswick stew. And we can make it in super big batches and then transport them to an event, or when we have a really big party. The town we live near has a yearly festival and my father in law runs security for it, so the family ends up helping do all sorts of things. With this I can get out of running around like a chicken with its head cut off, and can make lots of something at home and have it transported over to the event.

Honestly, its so big it is comical, but it was given to us so I cant really say no.

Hobie, the hope is that her brother can add feet, but he wont know till we get it to him. Honestly, it sitting on rocks is not a problem, I just need to get around to setting it up.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Paella would be perfect for a cauldron. Whole Lobsters, Shrimp and such...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Luke wrote:Whole Lobsters, Shrimp and such...

I never thought about doing a low country boil. Hey now, that is worth the cost of the firepit alone.
puke_face

by puke_face Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Luke wrote:Paella would be perfect for a cauldron. Whole Lobsters, Shrimp and such...

Whole cows, turkeys, elk, moose... maybe a leg of elephant...
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 pm

puke_face wrote:
Luke wrote:Paella would be perfect for a cauldron. Whole Lobsters, Shrimp and such...

Whole cows, turkeys, elk, moose... maybe a leg of elephant...Rosie O'Donnell
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:47 am

REPO Man wrote:Easy Mac Deluxe:

1) Fix two servings of Easy Mac (not the XL stuff).
2) While hot, add 1 big spoonful of Cheez Whiz.
3) Add desired amount of Hot Salt or similar product.
4) OPTIONAL: Add desired amount of Land-o-Lakes-brand Sharp Cheddar flavored powder.
5) Add bacon bits. Basically, as much as you want, though I go for plenty of bacon in each bite.
6) Add crushed Garden Salsa-flavored Sun Chips.
7) Enjoy.

For some reason, it reminds me of tacos, though there's no beef, no veggies, and Sun Chips in lieu of corn tortilla.

Easy Mac Deluxe - REVISED

INGREDIENTS
  • Easy Mac (either cup or envelope), or comparable product
  • ~1 spoonful Cheez Whiz
  • Sriracha (preferably Huy Fong brand)
  • Bacon bits OR chopped beef jerky
  • Crushed chips (Doritos, Sun Chips and Reuben-flavored Lays work)

1. Prepare Easy Mac
  2. Whip in Cheez Whiz, sriracha and cheese powder (IDK if order matters)
  3. Stir in bacon bits
  4. Stir in crushed chips
  5. Wonder if, and then realize that, this would TOTALLY work with either homemade mac & cheese or the stuff from a box

Not sure if anyone's heard this, but Youtuber Gemma Stafford of "Bigger Bolder Baking" posted this recipe for two-ingredient ice cream, which requires only sweetened condensed milk and whipping cream, a hand mixer and some add ins.

Here's a few flavors I've tried:

* Nutella Sriracha - I used too much sriracha and not enough Nutella, so it had only a light chocolatey taste and that feeling in your throat when you have too much sriracha (not a burning from the capsaicin). Next time add more Nutella (it should apparently be a dark chocolate color and you're supposed to hit the Nutella with the mixer BEFORE adding it into the base).

* Nutella with Strawberry - I used too little Nutella and used sugar-free strawberry preserves. Meh.

* Key Lime Cheesecake - probably added a bit too much key lime juice, the cream cheese was too stiff so there was chunks of it, and there were big chunks of graham crackers because I didn't crush them enough.

* Berry Oreo - used crushed Raspberry Oreos (not crushed enough) and strawberry syrup (too much and thus too sweet). Maybe I should have used either Strawberry Nesquik powder or Jello powder.

And here's a few flavors I'd like to try:

* Jello sherbet - someone else posted a video on homemade sherbet where you add gelatin mix to the base (the person on the video made four flavors and put them in the same container for a rainbow sherbet deal)

* Caramel-Swirled Nutella with Bacon

* Pumpkin Spice Caramel and Chocolate - after one of my favorite Ghirardelli varieties.

Basically, my reasoning is to make flavors that I can't buy at the store, either because they're seasonal (like Pumpkin Pie), not readily sold (like Durian, I guess, if you can find durian) or flat out do not exist (like a replica of the sea salt ice cream from Kingdom Hearts).
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:37 am

That caldron ended up getting a huge crack in it, so it was "repaired" into a competition smoker.

Recently I have gotten into making pretzels using this recipe:
1c 1tb water
1.5c ap flour
1.5c bread flour
3TB brown sugar - packed
1.5tb active dry yeast (about half a pack)

Mix it into dough, I use my bread machine, so I dont have to play around with it. Then flour down everything and take chunks and wiggle them into pretzel shapes. Its not hard just time consuming (it handles alot like clay). Then preheat oven to 450 and get a pot of water boiling. Add half a cup of baking soda to the boiling water, this is the replacement for your lye bath or eggwash. Let each pretzel go into the baking soda water for 10-20 seconds and let them dry off. Slide them into the oven for 7-10 minutes on cookie trays.

Once they turn that nice dark brown, pull them out, spritz them with water and toss on coarse salt, cinnamon/sugar, Tony Chachere, etc. It is a close enough taste to using lye, but far less dangerous.

They come out looking a bit like this:

Ive stopped making the twists unless there are kids around, and just make long bars of them then chop them into "bites."

It does not work in loaf form. I tried...
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever