Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by dsheinem Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 am

Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) – When I heard that this documentary was a compelling look at street art, I had a lot of interest. I’ve long been curious about the late twentieth/early twenty-first century street art movement, the politics behind it, and the role of the web in preserving it. While the film is informative up to a certain point, I was generally unimpressed by the direction taken by the last half of the film (even if I understand fully why the film went there). It does do a good job of telling a story in an interesting fashion and for that it is worth seeing, but if you are hoping to learn very much about Banksy or the rest of the street art scene you may be underwhelmed and, ultimately, a bit disappointed.
Grade: 2.5/5

Damien: The Omen II (1978) – When I saw the original Omen film for the first time late last year I was really blown away by how good it was. I had heard the sequels dropped in quality – and based on The Omen II that is true – but it isn’t a precipitous drop and this film is certainly worth seeing. The first film had a standout performance by Gregory Peck, and I anticipated that that the sequel would be filled with much lesser actors. To my surprise, not only was the titular character played wonderfully by the young Jonathan Scott-Taylor, but the lead role is acted with conviction by an excellent-as-always William Holden (shortly after his performance in the seminal Network). It is shot quite well, has a fantastic score (almost as good as in the first film), many excellent set design choices, and other than a few death scenes that have aged poorly (and were probably never very good to begin with), is a compelling suspense film.
Grade: 3.5/5
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm

The Other Guys and Due Date were pretty funny comedy films :lol:
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Lone Wanderer
32-bit

by Lone Wanderer Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Watched The Tillman Story Saturday night. Meh
Black DSi, Pink GBC, Softmodded Wii, Softmodded Fat Ps2, Black Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Ps1 Slim, Atomic Purple GBC, Onyx GBA SP, Gears of War 3 Edition Xbox 360 Slim, PSP 3000, NES.
Luke wrote:Masturbation is a fool proof way of getting rid of ghosts. Seriously, not even ghosts want to see that. I suggest saying out loud, "Hey ghost, who's creeped out now? You scared?" in the process.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

by Betamax001 Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm

BurningDoom wrote:^ Have you not seen the Alien series before? Cool movies. Have fun.

I felt that the second movie, Aliens, is the best in the series. So if you haven't seen them yet, you're in for the best one next. Alien 3 is good, just not as good as the first two. And Alien Resurrection sucked.

No I have not seen the Alien movies before. Yeah I heard that the second one as good if not better than the first one, but that's what people said about Terminator 2 and the first one, and i didn't like Judgement Day at all versus the first one, so I dunno.

dsheinem wrote:Damien: The Omen II (1978) – When I saw the original Omen film for the first time late last year I was really blown away by how good it was. I had heard the sequels dropped in quality – and based on The Omen II that is true – but it isn’t a precipitous drop and this film is certainly worth seeing. The first film had a standout performance by Gregory Peck, and I anticipated that that the sequel would be filled with much lesser actors. To my surprise, not only was the titular character played wonderfully by the young Jonathan Scott-Taylor, but the lead role is acted with conviction by an excellent-as-always William Holden (shortly after his performance in the seminal Network). It is shot quite well, has a fantastic score (almost as good as in the first film), many excellent set design choices, and other than a few death scenes that have aged poorly (and were probably never very good to begin with), is a compelling suspense film.
Grade: 3.5/5

Yeah the Omen sequels weren't that bad. If you like the first one, you might as well rent the second and third. They are pretty good for sequels, let alone horror sequels which usually can be quite awful. Never saw the fourth one though.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Let Me In: Interesting but i didn't find myself all that taken with it.

Suckerpunch: Great action, but a plot that felt a bit too heavy handed.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Started watching, got halfway through, and plan to finish my first Godard film:

Literally, the title means "At Breath's End", but it's English title is "Breathless".

It's about a man named Michel who, after shooting a cop, stays with his New Yorker girlfriend Patricia, who sells the Herald-Tribune on the streets of Paris.

Good so far.
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 pm

REPO Man wrote:Started watching, got halfway through, and plan to finish my first Godard film:

Literally, the title means "At Breath's End", but it's English title is "Breathless".

It's about a man named Michel who, after shooting a cop, stays with his New Yorker girlfriend Patricia, who sells the Herald-Tribune on the streets of Paris.

Good so far.

There's 2 reasons why I liked this:

1.The cuts are great

2.Jean Pierre Melville :D

I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Mendoza wrote:Let Me In: Interesting but i didn't find myself all that taken with it.

Fuck Let Me In. Tell me you've seen the original???
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

by AznKhmerBoi Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:16 pm

just saw "Good Will Hunting" for the first time.
DsLite Wii 3DS PS3fatYLOD GenesisModel1 SegaSaturnDreamcast SNES NES Ps1 N64 WiiU "black" PS4
NintendoSwitch(GreyCons)GBA SP 101 (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (Blue) (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (LimeGreen) (Spongbob Model)Xbox One (OriginalFatRelease)

PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 pm

OldSchool_Boy wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Started watching, got halfway through, and plan to finish my first Godard film:

Good so far.

There's 2 reasons why I liked this:

1.The cuts are great

2.Jean Pierre Melville :D

I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen.

I hate you. I haven't seen a movie in theatres since the NOES reboot. Plus, the works of the great ones totally don't feel right on a 20some inch 4:3 screen at a slight angle.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever