Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Michi Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

vash23n wrote:Up: I am a sap for stories like you will find in the first 10 minutes of this film. My wife made me watch this and I turned to her and said "why would you make me watch this, do you hate me." Joking of course, but it was very moving - not for everyone as I have come to understand after reading the imdb message board. As for the entire film, I liked it, but not my favorite and I probably won't watch it again.

I love Up. But then, I tend to like Pixar tales in general (I loved Wall-E. No one else seemed to like it :? ). I remember when I showed it to my dad and after the first 10 minutes he looked at me and said, "You didn't tell me this was a sad story." He said he enjoyed the rest of it, but who knows. I kinda think he fell asleep at the end. :lol:
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

The Shadow, 1940 Serial. It was your basic, black & white, action serial. From Columbia. The Shadow is your basic masked-detective character fighting mobsters controller by a mysterious masked leader (actually invisible leader in this case) that is unmasked at the end. They don't even include The Shadow's mystical abilities like clouding men's minds and actually becoming invisible in the shadows.

So meh. It's alright if your into serials, but nothing different here.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Croooow!
128-bit

by Croooow! Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Michi wrote:I love Up. But then, I tend to like Pixar tales in general (I loved Wall-E. No one else seemed to like it :? ). I remember when I showed it to my dad and after the first 10 minutes he looked at me and said, "You didn't tell me this was a sad story." He said he enjoyed the rest of it, but who knows. I kinda think he fell asleep at the end. :lol:

Yeah the first 10 minutes really bummed me out and put me in an odd mood for such a fun movie. I felt that if they had put that stuff towards the middle of the movie it might have made for a completely different picture.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Not a bad movie at all, but not a particularly great one either. Kinda unmemorable compared to Raiders. and doesn't seem to have much to do with it either. I understand it's a prequel, but the film's story sorta feels like it's inside a bubble or something if that makes sense.

Anyhow, I suppose it's your average somewhat-disappointing sequel. I didn't hate it, but I enjoyed myself watching it for what it's worth. Still haven't seen the third movie but I'm looking forward to it.

ToD is probably the worst film of the original three, but it is my personal favorite and made the biggest impression on me when I was young. It is still shocking to me when I run into any guy in their teens or older who hasn't seen all of the Indy movies, the original Star Wars films, Terminator and T2, Alien/Aliens, etc.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm

dsheinem wrote:ToD is probably the worst film of the original three, but it is my personal favorite and made the biggest impression on me when I was young.

It was my favorite for a while when I was younger. I still actually think it's better than The Last Crusade, though I know that's a minority opinion.

Salt: This movie was a lot of fun, and I do hope it becomes a franchise. It was written by Kurt Wimmer (of Equilibrium fame and Ultraviolet infamy), but was not directed by him. I consider this a plus. Angelina Jolie stars as a CIA agent accused of being a Russian spy, and things just kind of take off from there. The plot and action are both ridiculously over-the top. I'd give it a B+ out of 5.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Croooow! wrote:
Michi wrote:I love Up. But then, I tend to like Pixar tales in general (I loved Wall-E. No one else seemed to like it :? ). I remember when I showed it to my dad and after the first 10 minutes he looked at me and said, "You didn't tell me this was a sad story." He said he enjoyed the rest of it, but who knows. I kinda think he fell asleep at the end. :lol:

Yeah the first 10 minutes really bummed me out and put me in an odd mood for such a fun movie. I felt that if they had put that stuff towards the middle of the movie it might have made for a completely different picture.

UP is totally a tear jerker
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Bradtemple87 wrote:
Croooow! wrote:

UP is totally a tear jerker

Agreed.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm

(Make your own adventure)...I held some tears back :cry:
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
vash23n
Next-Gen

by vash23n Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

dsheinem wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Not a bad movie at all, but not a particularly great one either. Kinda unmemorable compared to Raiders. and doesn't seem to have much to do with it either. I understand it's a prequel, but the film's story sorta feels like it's inside a bubble or something if that makes sense.

Anyhow, I suppose it's your average somewhat-disappointing sequel. I didn't hate it, but I enjoyed myself watching it for what it's worth. Still haven't seen the third movie but I'm looking forward to it.

ToD is probably the worst film of the original three, but it is my personal favorite and made the biggest impression on me when I was young. It is still shocking to me when I run into any guy in their teens or older who hasn't seen all of the Indy movies, the original Star Wars films, Terminator and T2, Alien/Aliens, etc.

TOD was always my favorite also, not sure why. Maybe the first I watched when I was old enough to understand what I was seeing... who knows. I can't believe there are people who haven't seen Alien also - I am obsessed with all 4 movies, well maybe the first 3. My newest mission is to somehow track down or create a replica of Dallas's crew jacket. So far, not so easy.
Xonticus
128-bit

by Xonticus Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Just saw Bronson for the first time after I head Tom Hardy is going to be Bane in the new Batman movie... all I can say is that I now have 100% faith that the choice was right.

BTW, if you seek out this movie, it's rated R.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever