Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
nielse16
24-bit

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by nielse16 Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 am

My friends and I watched two tonight.

Burn After Reading
Not what I was expecting, but a very good film. Gotta love the Coen brothers. The scene where Pitt and Clooney meet gave me the biggest reaction I've had to a movie since 2001 (jumped out of my seat watching The Others).

Waiting for Guffman
I had already seen it but my wife and friends had not. I had forgotten about the reactions from the audience members as the musical was being performed...priceless!
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 am

I just watched the social network and I thought it was pretty good. For a movie about facebook I was pleasantly surprised.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Reverend
Next-Gen

by Reverend Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am

Bradtemple87 wrote:I just watched the social network and I thought it was pretty good. For a movie about facebook I was pleasantly surprised.

I would argue that the movie isn't really about Facebook, so much as it is about betrayal, and court cases.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Reverend wrote:
Bradtemple87 wrote:I just watched the social network and I thought it was pretty good. For a movie about facebook I was pleasantly surprised.

I would argue that the movie isn't really about Facebook, so much as it is about betrayal, and court cases.

Well obviously, that's the reason I liked it :wink:
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

by Snickerd00dle Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Recent movies I have seen

Social Network, which I loved- movie about the creation of Facebook and the court cases that followed its ceration- awesome cast, great music, beautiful shots- if you can, pick it up on Blu-Ray

The Man Who Fell to Earth- David Bowie (in his first movie) plays an Alien who comes to Earth in search for water, and a way to bring it back to his planet. It is about his life on Earth, and his ways of trying to complete his task, lots of weird sex scenes, and nudity- Rip Torn plays this professor who sleeps with his students and is aiding Bowie in his research- wacky movie, but very good, awesome music, and trippy scenes
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 pm

I watched 007: Goldfinger. It was one of the better Bond movies. A Sean Connery Bond movie. But I couldn't help but laugh every single time I heard Pussy Galore's name.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Not a bad movie at all, but not a particularly great one either. Kinda unmemorable compared to Raiders. and doesn't seem to have much to do with it either. I understand it's a prequel, but the film's story sorta feels like it's inside a bubble or something if that makes sense.

Anyhow, I suppose it's your average somewhat-disappointing sequel. I didn't hate it, but I enjoyed myself watching it for what it's worth. Still haven't seen the third movie but I'm looking forward to it.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 pm

nielse16 wrote:Waiting for Guffman
I had already seen it but my wife and friends had not. I had forgotten about the reactions from the audience members as the musical was being performed...priceless!

I tend to like the Christopher Guest mockumentaries, but this one seemed particularly ugly and mean-spirited to me. I think my problem with it was that the folks involved are established and successful in their field and then made a movie making fun of people who wish and try to have the same career but are unsuccessful. That really bothered me, and I couldn't get past it. It's like the popular kids in school making fun of the unpopular kids.

Tokyo Godfathers: A trio of homeless people find a baby abandoned in the trash. Rather than go straight to the police, they decide to try to find the parents themselves. Visually, I thought the film was gorgeous. Overall, I was entertained, but I can't bring myself to call this a great film. The character interactions were usually interesting, but some really didn't make a lot of sense to me, and I would have liked to know a little more about the characters' backstory. Actually, I'd mainly like to have known more about Miyuki, the teenage runaway. The particular drama surrounding her homelife is not sufficiently explained, in my opinion. Also, maybe it's just me, but I thought the chase scene at the end was a little out of character with the rest of the film. I still enjoyed it, though. I don't know what I'd rate it, but if I gave it a rating it would be out of five.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Sick Nurses

Nice little Thai horror film. Kind of typical asian ghost story. Vengeful ghost comes back to torment and murder the ones that killed her. Seven to be exact. There were a couple of bad 'green screen moments', but all-in-all the visuals were great. There were actually some really nicely lit dramatic shots that I found quite appealing (So what if it's got a big, black, gnarly ghost (wearing very tasteful pumps!) with a lone white eyeball in the center of it's face, in the middle of it. It was a nice shot!) An appropriate amount of blood and guts, and a bit of a surprise ending and this horror freak is a happy soul :mrgreen:
vash23n
Next-Gen

by vash23n Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 am

Michi wrote:Sick Nurses

Nice little Thai horror film. Kind of typical asian ghost story. Vengeful ghost comes back to torment and murder the ones that killed her. Seven to be exact. There were a couple of bad 'green screen moments', but all-in-all the visuals were great. There were actually some really nicely lit dramatic shots that I found quite appealing (So what if it's got a big, black, gnarly ghost (wearing very tasteful pumps!) with a lone white eyeball in the center of it's face, in the middle of it. It was a nice shot!) An appropriate amount of blood and guts, and a bit of a surprise ending and this horror freak is a happy soul :mrgreen:

I liked this one and agree with what you said. I just felt it was a cool little take on the typical Asian horror film. Dare I say it, they made it a little hip.

Up: I am a sap for stories like you will find in the first 10 minutes of this film. My wife made me watch this and I turned to her and said "why would you make me watch this, do you hate me." Joking of course, but it was very moving - not for everyone as I have come to understand after reading the imdb message board. As for the entire film, I liked it, but not my favorite and I probably won't watch it again.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever