Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by REPO Man Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 am

Saw X-Men: Dark Phoenix, which was better than I thought it'd be, given its reception. Way better than the last time we got a Phoenix Saga adaptation.

Then I saw The New Mutants, which was a decent X-Men movie that tried something new and didn't screw it up too badly. It could have been better IMHO if it leaned harder into its horror vibes, particularly in the last act where it went full X-Men movie.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Watched Maniac Cop 3 last night. Continuing the shift to action over horror, but now with shoehorned-in supernatural and thriller elements, it's just a mess overall. The series started decently but ended with a whimper peppered with bangs.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 pm

New write-up of the week:

Hostile Takeover

It's so hard to find Thanksgiving themed horror movies. The Christmas ones are surprisingly a dime a dozen (and I'll get to some of those next month), but other holidays not so much. And this one isn't even really a horror movie either. It's labled as such, but it's more of a thriller than it is anything else. But it's also so chill that it's almost a character study of four very troubled individuals. It's one of the strangest, but also one of the most interesting hostage films I've seen, where the bad guy feels more like the good guy and the good guys come across as assholes. It's not perfect, of course. It's the kind of film that thinks it's a hell of a lot more deep than it really is, but there are some interesting ideas here and it's certainly unique in its approach.

Oh, and it has one of the most stupidly awesome escape sequences I think I've ever seen. Seriously, it's bizarrely amazing, and I made a gif of it so that everyone can see it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Michi, your reviews are always great, and that is one amazing gif. Where do you find movies like this?
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:15 am

Ah, thank you :oops:

In this case, I didn't want to do a write-up of the other "Thankskilling" film, so instead I did a search for other non-family-oriented Thanksgiving themed films, and this popped up on a couple of lists....and as mentioned, those list were either (a) kinda short, and/or (b) the movies listed were not readily available to me on streaming services.

Unfortunately the film only barely qualifies for what I was looking. But hey, it was amusing and I tried.

Thankfully I'll have a veritable cornucopia of choices to choose from for Christmas :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am

Nice! I’m looking forward to it.

Last night, my wife and I watched Kiss Me, Stupid (1964). It’s a Billy Wilder comedy starring Dean Martin, Kim Novak, and Ray Walston (a/k/a My Favorite Martian). At the time of its release, it was considered vulgar, was panned by critics for being vulgar, and the Catholic Legion of Decency objected strongly to its release. This means that it was way ahead of its time, and is actually incredibly funny. It’s almost like a modern R-rated comedy, but made in the 1960s, starring classic Hollywood icons, and directed by Billy Wilder (or, put another way, the best of everything). It is really, really funny, and we both enjoyed it quite a bit. Also, it’s available for streaming on Prime Video; so, you should be able to watch it for free if you have the service.

The only thing dragging it down a bit was the casting. Kim Novak and Ray Walston are great, but their roles were written for Marilyn Monroe And Jack Lemmon, respectively. Had either of them been in the production, the movie would not have been just “very good;” it would have been amazing. Dean Martin, cast as “Dino”, is perfect, though. It’s an early example of a celebrity roasting himself and his reputation for drinking and womanizing.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever