Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by MrPopo Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Wow, the new Borat film manages to be even more amazing than the first one. And if you have Amazon Prime you already have access to it. Highly recommended if you liked the first. Don't really want to say more because it's better if you go in and just let it take you on its journey.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Watched Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and Army of Darkness on Saturday.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Since I'm now working from home, I'm able to watch my DVD collection on my lunch break.

I just watched 'Back To The Future' again.

That really is a perfect movie.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:06 pm

Watched "war with grandpa" with the kids. I was pretty surprised cause I laughed my ass off. I expected a cash in, the movies been done a thousand times. Deniro actually puts in an effort and he's pretty funny as were the gags. Christopher walken, and Cheech Marin play his buddies and are historical. Walken kills it. A good watch with the family.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Alas, Halloween is over. So that means it's back to this thread to post my movie watchin'.

This weeks new write-up is:

Dead Heat

Two kooky, yet complementary detectives investigating a robbery ring inadvertently stumble upon a machine that can create indestructible zombies. One of them gets killed, and reanimated, but *OPPS*, the procedure isn't full-proof and he's only got until the end of the day to figure out who killed him.

This one's a real odd-ball. It's like a typical 80s buddy-cop movie WITH ZOMBIES. I really love a lot going on here. The effects are great, the chemistry between the two leads is stellar, and while a lot of the comedy is cheesy as hell, I still managed to find it amusing. The problem is that the plot is wildly inconstant, even within the film's own rationality. I feel like this one needed a couple more re-writes to help connect all the dots, but I still found it to be a nice dose of stupid fun.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 am

Just finished Maniac Cop, a horror flick about a murderous cop in New York City. I enjoyed it. I've seen part of it before and the second and third movies in the series. If I recall correctly there's apparently word of a proposed reboot in the works.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:54 am

New write-up of the week:

Transylvania 6-5000

Ah, an 80s horror-themed comedy movie filled with slew of highly competent actors that's....not actually funny. Like, at all. I think I might have giggled....er.....twice. But I guess that's to be expected from a film whose title is referencing a Glenn Miller song, a tune and a man neither associated with the horror genre and likely considered well out of vogue by the time the 80s rolled around.

Title aside, I put most of the blame for this fiasco on the script and direction. It's the kind of film I want to like more than I do, because I can see some of the potential there and I know the actors present can be good when given the right material. But this film ain't that material.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 am

Rewatched the Friday the 13th reboot back on Friday... the 13th. I actually haven't seen it since renting it on DVD almost a decade ago. It's definitely a decent slasher flick and features killer special effects (shuddup!) and is overall a better film than most people gave it credit for back in 2009. Sadly, however, with the film rights still in limbo, all we'll get out of Jason is an awesome game that sadly won't live up to its full potential. Oh, and a fuckton of fan films.

Also just finished Maniac Cop 2, which leans more heavily into action this time around. Also, while the first and third films are on Shudder, the second is on Prime Video, where apparently the powers that be could only conjure up something 4:3 from an analog source since it does feel like a cleaned-up pristine VHS copy. Also if you don't have Shudder you can get it via Prime Video.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:22 am

His House on Netflix is a very solid horror movie with an intriguing, sad premise. It explores some of the same themes as Hereditary, but from a very different, drastically less privileged perspective. While Hereditary is likely the better-made film, His House has a better premise, better script, and better characters, and I highly recommend it.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 pm

New write-up of the week:

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

A pompous, asshole director of a small theater troop drags his actors to a deserted island cemetery off the coast if Miami so he can play out his own personal 'zombie rising' fantasy. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

An odd little outing that's sort of a combination of Night of the Living Dead and Evil Dead, but with a script from Bob Clark, the guy who gave us Porkey's and Black Christmas. The pacing for the first half kind of drags (okay, it really drags), and a lot of the humor is juvenile, but I still think it ended up being pretty fun.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever