What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I haven’t read any other mentions of it; so...

Have any of you seen the new Detective Pikachu trailer? It looks pretty awesome, and I am genuinely excited to see it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I haven’t read any other mentions of it; so...

Have any of you seen the new Detective Pikachu trailer? It looks pretty awesome, and I am genuinely excited to see it.

I am genuinely excited for it. I was down at it from the early info we had, what with Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu, but seeing it in motion it looks to be a strange detective noir pokemon movie and I couldn't be more stoked to see it. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but looks to be taking risks with the visuals and genre style. Those risks are why I am the most excited. What is the world gonna really look like?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.

You celebrating Noirvember then, Prfsnl?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So when I heard of the movie, I had zero interest in it. The trailer popped onto Polygon, so I figured "what the hell, let's watch it." Then it turned out Pikachu was Deadpool and I was 100% on board (and 101% on board after the Mr. Mime invisible box gag).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm 100% in on Detective Pikachu. I love how the Pokémon look, and I can't say why, but this is exactly where I want Pokémon movies to go.

I've always wanted to see Pokémon stories outside trainer stories, which is part of it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.

You celebrating Noirvember then, Prfsnl?

I celebrate every month. So many, many good films. Thank you Amazon Prime! (I’m actually watching a western tonight, though.)

The detail in the background of the trailer is so solid. Decaying posters promoting a fight between a Machamp and a Steelix? The Pokémon theme played sullenly on a piano? Count me in!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yup. Trailer looks great. I'm very excited.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I watched Baseketball the other day. Definitely a movie you smoke and then watch. I was kinda high, so it was kinda funny. 6/10 worth a watch if you like stoner movies.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ack

Post by Ack »

Asylum

Woo, portmanteau movies! Only horror ever seems to do these. That's a shame, as they're a great way to convey a series of shorts together.

Asylum is one of these films. The framing story features a new doctor going through a job interview at a mental institution where one of the previous doctors went insane. The new doctor has to interview the patients and determine which is the previous doctor. Each patient's story becomes a brief vignette within the film, and while some go heavier on the mental illness angle, there is at least one that is quite inventive.

Of course, the framing story has its own small vignette for the fourth story, and it provides one of the most interesting angles, because it implies that at least some of the other stories could be true. The stories are: 1) A dismembered body attacks a woman, 2) A magic suit that can resurrect the dead brings a mannequin to life, 3) A sick woman believes her friend murdered her sister and nurse, and 4) A doctor believes he can transition his consciousness into a doll. The doll story proves to be shockingly real within the context of the film, which means the magic suit and dismembered body stories might also be real, though story 3 is revealed to definitely be a woman who is hallucinating another person.

The highlights for me were the 1st and 4th story. The 2nd story drags a little bit, though I greatly enjoy that Peter Cushing is in it. It's also a remake of an episode from Boris Karloff's TV show Thriller in the early '60s. I say adaptation, though it technically is an adaptation; the screenwriter, Robert Bloch, was also a writer on that show. Many of Bloch's stories have been turned into famous horror films and shorts, most notably Psycho.

Amicus Productions is the studio that released Asylum, and they did quite a few of these horror anthology movies around the time. In fact, the next picture they released after Asylum? 1972's Tales from the Crypt. If you're a fan of British horror of the era but have spent all your time with Hammer, it's time to move to Amicus.