Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Ack Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Spiders II: Breeding Ground

This is the Alien 4 of movies about giant spiders, only far worse.

Jason and Alexandra are a married couple who end up shipwrecked in the ocean. They get picked up by a cargo ship, only to discover that the ship is really a mobile aquatic laboratory for a mad scientist intent on genetically splicing humans with spider DNA. For some reason, this means he must first breed spider eggs in living human hosts. Also, these spiders aren't sure if they're puppets or bad CG, and they have no idea how big they're supposed to be.

Ok, first off, yes, this is an awful premise for a movie. However, I have seen worse. While the script is atrocious, it's also not the worst sin this movie commits. The thing that really kills it is that I can't tell if it wants to be a legit monster movie or a piece of made-for-tv SYFY trash. There is nudity, a little gore, a bit of blood, and a budget that could have been rolled up and stuck in the back of my shoe while I was wearing it. It's the effects that take this film from bad to laughably bad. Sure, hammy overacting and poor writer choices are one thing, but badly digitizing people to interact with CG spiders? Now that's unforgivable.

What's also unforgivable is just how stupid the Alexandra character appears to be. A strange doctor is repeatedly injecting her sick husband, but she's too busy getting seduced by the captain to notice that for some reason everything on board the dirty ship is in Russian, there is no cargo despite the large number of containers on deck, and they're hauling way more meat than they need to be considering the size of the crew. Also, they're going in circles. Jason gets it, and he's freaking zonked out on injectable candy shots from the evil scowling love doctor. How could Alexandra not? It literally takes the captain trying to seduce/rape her and her finding the remains of a burned-out ship she saw a couple of days before to realize that things aren't hunky-dory.

This does lead me to another point about this movie, though. It begins with a bunch of twenty-somethings being attacked by what must be the cargo ship's crew so they can be used for spider babies. Why did this mad scientist plan so poorly that they had to go kidnap people off boats to actually do any work? That seems like a bad plan.

Spiders 2 is painfully bad. I loathed it. I don't loathe everything about it, as the female lead actually gave it a pretty good showing of her ability to actually act, but everything else was just amateur hour.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I haven’t read any other mentions of it; so...

Have any of you seen the new Detective Pikachu trailer? It looks pretty awesome, and I am genuinely excited to see it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:42 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I haven’t read any other mentions of it; so...

Have any of you seen the new Detective Pikachu trailer? It looks pretty awesome, and I am genuinely excited to see it.

I am genuinely excited for it. I was down at it from the early info we had, what with Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu, but seeing it in motion it looks to be a strange detective noir pokemon movie and I couldn't be more stoked to see it. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but looks to be taking risks with the visuals and genre style. Those risks are why I am the most excited. What is the world gonna really look like?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.
Ack

by Ack Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.

You celebrating Noirvember then, Prfsnl?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm

So when I heard of the movie, I had zero interest in it. The trailer popped onto Polygon, so I figured "what the hell, let's watch it." Then it turned out Pikachu was Deadpool and I was 100% on board (and 101% on board after the Mr. Mime invisible box gag).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm 100% in on Detective Pikachu. I love how the Pokémon look, and I can't say why, but this is exactly where I want Pokémon movies to go.

I've always wanted to see Pokémon stories outside trainer stories, which is part of it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 pm

Ack wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Agreed. I love bizarre, surreal detective films (or film noir); so, this is right up my alley.

You celebrating Noirvember then, Prfsnl?

I celebrate every month. So many, many good films. Thank you Amazon Prime! (I’m actually watching a western tonight, though.)

The detail in the background of the trailer is so solid. Decaying posters promoting a fight between a Machamp and a Steelix? The Pokémon theme played sullenly on a piano? Count me in!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:58 pm

yup. Trailer looks great. I'm very excited.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:21 pm

I watched Baseketball the other day. Definitely a movie you smoke and then watch. I was kinda high, so it was kinda funny. 6/10 worth a watch if you like stoner movies.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever