Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by samsonlonghair Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm

I saw The Predator.

Stupid fun. It’s the Alien Ressurection of this franchise. Definitely not a good movie, but I had fun watching.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:36 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I saw The Predator.

Stupid fun. It’s the Alien Ressurection of this franchise. Definitely not a good movie, but I had fun watching.

Mrs. Armitage and I saw this today. We liked it a lot - by far the best of the Predator sequels and different enough from the original that it wasn't a clone (but still faithful to the original in ways the other sequels weren't). Plus lots of humor - much of it very dark -which is also a plus for most movies. I particularly like the not so subtle nod to the A-Team with the dysfunctional gang of guys drafted into the action.

We also saw the trailer for Aquaman - that looks really promising.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Jake Armitage wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I saw The Predator.

Mrs. Armitage and I saw this today. We liked it a lot - by far the best of the Predator sequels and different enough from the original that it wasn't a clone (but still faithful to the original in ways the other sequels weren't). Plus lots of humor - much of it very dark -which is also a plus for most movies. I particularly like the not so subtle nod to the A-Team with the dysfunctional gang of guys drafted into the action.

We also saw the trailer for Aquaman - that looks really promising.

Yeah, I was picking up on that A-Team vibe as well. There’s a lot of nods to the first predator. The line, “You are one beautiful mother fucker” was a throwback to Arnold’s famous line, “You are one ugly mother fucker!”

There was so much silly, over-the-top campy fun in The Predator. I’m a Subaru fan, so I loved seeing the hero charge into battle in an old school Subaru Outback. 8)

I still don’t think it’s a good movie, but I had a hell of a lot of fun watching it. My fiancée doesn’t like violent movies, but I think she still dug it. Our friend, Rachel, got a kick out of it too, but she wasn’t shy about calling it a flat out bad movie.

I took the gang back to my place afterwards, and we watched the original Predator. I was the only one who had seen it. Everyone was impressed with how well it holds up. Rachel told us that she was never into Arnold beforehand, but she thought he was very “alpha” in Predator. Rachel also said that she liked “old movies” like this. :roll:
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Personally I prefer Predator 2 to Predator, but some of that is because I watched the hell out of it after taping it off of Fox back in the day (along with Terminator 2). I thought the translation to urban jungle was well done. Plus, Bill Paxton.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I really enjoy Predator 2 as well. I don’t think it’s better than the original, but I do think it’s better than The Predator (2018) by a mile! :lol:

Plus Predator 2 gave us a lot of lore for the Predator franchise. I guess that’s what insider types call “world building”. That scene inside the Predator space ship was chock full of details! The old pistol and the xenomorph skull were so cool!

The Predator (2018) tries some world-building of it’s own, but it’s just not as cool.
There’s a shady government organization that’s trying to stop the Predators... but they’re criminally incompetent. They abduct American citizens at a whim with no long term plan. They try to perform an alien autopsy while the alien is still alive. What could possibly go wrong?

There’s an eleven-foot-tall Super Predator. Also, he’s a “hybrid” Predator that’s part human. Except that the regular Predator also has human DNA. It seemed like they were setting up a torrid Alien impregnating plotline... which they dropped the moment the Predator encountered a naked lady. He didn’t try to kill her either. The Predator had just killed a dozen people, but when he saw a naked lady he just shrugged and walked away.

Also, the Predators have been harvesting spinal cords so they can get our DNA, not for trophies. I think I hate that contradiction against Predator canon the most. I mean... Predators have always been trophy hunters. Why retcon that now? What does that accomplish?

Also, the Predator visits have been increasing because of... global warming? And they’re going to colonize earth once it’s hotter. But they have to come get that tasty human DNA before we go extinct.

Come to think of it, isn’t there like a billion strands of DNA in a single drop of blood? Harvesting spinal cords from another planet has to be the least efficient means of hybridization anyone has ever heard of. Also, why is the Hybrid Predator giant? Shouldn’t he look half human if he’s a hybrid? No, he’s just gigantic.

The dumbest thing of all was the big reveal at the ending: A robo-Predator suit that a human can wear to fight the Predators. :roll: That’s their big setup for a sequel.

So yeah, bad world building here.

Nitpicking aside, it’s still a stupid fun movie. Hey @Ack, you might dig this flick.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Hey @Ack, you might dig this flick.

I certainly plan to eventually. I've seen all of the Alien and the Predator movies up to this point, as well as quite a few knock-offs...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 pm

MrPopo wrote:Personally I prefer Predator 2 to Predator, but some of that is because I watched the hell out of it after taping it off of Fox back in the day (along with Terminator 2). I thought the translation to urban jungle was well done. Plus, Bill Paxton.

Fun fact: Paxton has been killed by a xenomorph and a predator.

Planning to see it Thursday myself.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 am

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Personally I prefer Predator 2 to Predator, but some of that is because I watched the hell out of it after taping it off of Fox back in the day (along with Terminator 2). I thought the translation to urban jungle was well done. Plus, Bill Paxton.

Fun fact: Paxton has been killed by a xenomorph and a predator.

Planning to see it Thursday myself.

And a Terminator.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 am

dude!
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Today we had the misfortune to go see Assassination Nation. It just blew chunks - unless you have a masochistic streak avoid it like the plague.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever